"We have a psychoanalytic approach!"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whether you were trained to love or hate psychodynamics, somewhere along the way you should have learned that your statements in an anonymous forum will carry more weight if you contribute positively and refrain from ad hominem attacks. It's particularly not seen as a sign of maturity and good judgment to attack a moderator when one is a fairly new member of a forum.

OldDoc,
what makes you think that you can teach me manners on an open forum? Please brush up on the definition of ad hominem which reads: " a claim or argument rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument". With this in mind, would you care to re-read my posts and retract the statement?

It's easy to confuse the strength of argument with personal attack which makes me wonder why anyone would take the argument personally. BTW, your contribution to this discussion, so far, was an amusing psychoanalytical quip. Should I feel insulted?

My duration on this forum is immaterial if we are discussing ideas and not going ad hominem at each other. I hope the fallacy of the "duration on this forum" is evident.

Lastly, I didn't realize that Doc Samson was a moderator on the forum or on this particular thread, not that it matters. Just curious: along the line of objectivity, did clearyeyguy's "most psychopharmacologists are just substandard and biased psychiatrists " statement strike you as inappropriate? The moderator felt that was "well said".

Moderators don't have monopoly on truth. Neither do I, nor does OldPsychDoc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Moderators don't have monopoly on truth. Neither do I, nor does OldPsychDoc.

They do have a monopoly on the "ban" button.

What you might not understand is that most of the people on this forum "know" (and, actually, in many cases there aren't any quotation marks) each other, and we don't "know" you. You don't "know" us.

Whether you care or not is, of course, up to you. With some qualification, I'd say I'm pretty sympathetic to many of the general points you are trying to make, but you're doing a pretty good job alienating the majority of the regulars on here. And if you're not interested in engaging this particular community, I don't think any of us know why you are here, regardless of the legitimacy of what you're saying.

The bizarre antipathy toward psychoanalysis seen among many psychiatrists has always puzzled me, and it seems to be more the result of a hebetude of the understanding than a rational aversion. The enmity between analytic psychiatrists and pharmacology-oriented psychiatrists is examined quite nicely in Christoper Lane's book on shyness (and screed against modern psychiatry). While Lane's tone is almost comically acerbic and his text is left seriously wanting in scientific rigor, I do think he makes a valid point that psychiatry's epistemological shift from analytic to pharmacologic had a lot to do with economic factors/easy insurance billing embodied by the anti-analytic DSM.

Psychopharmacology is the dominant treatment modality nowadays, and well it should be for so many reasons, however to cavalierly disregard psychoanalysis and its progeny (Bowlby, Klein, Kohut, etc.) as irrelevant is troubling on many levels.

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed,
without any other reason but because they are not already common."
John Locke, Essay concerning Human Understanding 1690

The source of animosity is turf battle. A colossal change in the way we understand psychiatric disorders and treat psychiatric patients has taken place over the past two decades. No revolution comes without resistance when new tries to replays old.

Resistance to changes is intrinsic to human nature. We observe in politics, personal life, morality, and technology. In a person as well as in the society opposite forces are in constant struggle. Achieving balance and then progress through opposing forces is at foundation of all systems.

Biological psychiatry (it would be incorrect to call it psychopharmacology which plays small part in conceptual understanding, but, evidently, much bigger role in psychiatric practice) offers a cohesive model of mental disorders. The model can be questioned, scrutinized, criticized, and modified. Instead, it was
outright dismissed as threatening to the existing old scheme.

The initial question on this thread (and implicit on the forum) was not about which one of the two is "true religion" but which one serves better to prepare a young psychiatrist for practice.

Lane's position can be modified. Advances in neurobiology changed the field of psychiatry bringing closer to somatic medicine. Marketplace responded with shifting toward new, obviously, more efficient and effective techniques for treatment of psych diseases. Old psychiatry resisted the shift and tag of war ensued. Ins. and pharm companies didn't change psychiatry, at least not anymore than couch makers changed it for Freud. They responded to the market demand. Big Pharma is in business of selling tools and it was wrong by the other side to attack the toolmaker - by analogy, we don't see old-school carpenters lashing out at Black&Decker for introduction of power drill.

In the march of progress, said John Maynard Keynes, certain groups will fall by the wayside as new ideas and technologies merge to overtake them and make them obsolete. These changes happen with such sudden swiftness that a majority of business enterprises are unable to shift to respond and become obsolete overnight. This process is eternal and unavoidable unless business shifts its paradigm along with the new changes.

Psychoanalysis has to be cavalierly disregarded if we move forward. Old models hinder progress. Compare other industries: Morse code had to be disregarded with advent of digital communication, the whole industry related to transportation on horses disappeared in less than half-a-century, try to find a fountain pen in a dept. store...

I am old enough to bemoan disappearance of blotting paper (not traveling on horses though) but happily write with disposable ball-pen. I might regret disappearance of the couch, but don't expect me to keep one.

Contrary to popular (on this forum ) belief, not only I received almost 2 years of
training in psychodynamic psychotherapy but also spent few precious years of my life on the "couch" (not that I didn't enjoy it or benefited from it). But, IMO, that has little to do with PSYCHIATRY (i.e. treatment of psychiatric diseases), the main point of this discussion. As treatment tool psychoanalysis offers as much competition to biopsychiatry as horse riding to sports car.

BTW, nice moniker.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They do have a monopoly on the "ban" button .... abridged ...

Pushing that button would be wrong, wouldn't it?

"Dangerous Ideas" ... so ominously familiar. I'll be happy to leave if this is the majority opinion or the moderator's request. I play by the rules.

Mishavrach...some new breed of troll, a super-troll. He/she goes to such great lengths (a true master of googling random crap on the fly to support tenuous and trolly arguments) to keep up the trolling.

The hallmarks are there:
--Ignoring relevant points
--endless straw men
--subtly changing posters' words to create conflict and division where previously none had existed
--googling random junk on the fly (seriously, it's obvious), ironically demonstrating a lack of understanding of others' points and often enough the very thing they quote

But a mere mortal troll would have been ignored/laughed off the board. Not our troll. He/she has baited a half-dozen mature, intelligent professionals into an inane circus of trite wordplay.

I am truly impressed.

:clap smiley:

If you are actually an attending then gawd help us.

Although I bet you are a hoot to chill and drink with.

Thank you Doc Samson for your explanation, although I'm still not sure why you claim a residency couldn't teach the analytic approach. You seem to accept it as a tautology which I don't comprehend. But, I'm sure that is due to my ignorance on the subject. I certainly have my summer reading cut out for me!

You can think of an analogy from another specialty.

For example, the Cleveland Clinic is well known for cardiothoracic surgery. But for their general surgery program to advertise itself as having a cardiothoracic focus or to claim to provide enough training for you to graduate residency as a CT surgeon would be quite dishonest.

Mishavrach...some new breed of troll, a super-troll.

As I said previously, I do not yet understand the concepts behind pyschiatry so I'm no help in critiquing mishavrach's thoughts and theories. That being said, I think it is still possible to evaluate someone's argument for contradictions and politeness.

In this repect, I don't think Mishavrach is a 'troll' at all. He seems to hold an unpopular opinion to be sure, but s/he conducts himself/herself very well. Someone did suggest that this person and others like him are "substandard and biased psychiatrists", and I think that is rude, especially towards a new member of SDN whom we should be welcoming.

People say all manner of things on this forum. We even have a poster in another thread deneying 'human' evolution! Why no threat of a ban there?

I think it's unfair to pick on Mishavrach. I think maybe we should chock this up as a misunderstanding, and keep up with the interesting dialogue :thumbup: I do appreciate his/her efforts to answer my 1st question

EDIT: Thanks VMSmith, I did not know that pyschoanalysis was such a long training. That does confuse me a little more! My understanding is that pysch residencies in the past were all psychoanalytic, and they were all 4 years, right? Again, this is a deficient on my part so excuse my ignorance. I just try to cobble together what others have told me, I need to go read

Last edited:
Going back to the original post, some of the language seems to suggest that the original poster is equating psychoanalysis with all of psychotherapy.

Although several responses have brought up other psychotherapies, I thought I would explicitly point out to the original poster that psychotherapy encompasses several different therapeutic approaches, only one of which is psychoanalysis.

When I was a clinical psych grad student (I've since graduated and am now on faculty in a medical school), I had a psychiatry resident friend who always used to ask me about my "analysis" training. And that always left me puzzled, because he knew that my program was heavily CBT-oriented. It only occurred to me later that he used the word "analysis" as a descriptor for all of psychotherapy. I think that has to change.

Please brush up on the definition of ad hominem which reads: " a claim or argument rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument". With this in mind, would you care to re-read my posts and retract the statement?
Neither. You were wrong assuming that your reply mattered.

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed,
without any other reason but because they are not already common."
John Locke, Essay concerning Human Understanding 1690

The source of animosity is turf battle. A colossal change in the way we understand psychiatric disorders and treat psychiatric patients has taken place over the past two decades. No revolution comes without resistance when new tries to replays old.

Resistance to changes is intrinsic to human nature. We observe in politics, personal life, morality, and technology. In a person as well as in the society opposite forces are in constant struggle. Achieving balance and then progress through opposing forces is at foundation of all systems.

Biological psychiatry (it would be incorrect to call it psychopharmacology which plays small part in conceptual understanding, but, evidently, much bigger role in psychiatric practice) offers a cohesive model of mental disorders. The model can be questioned, scrutinized, criticized, and modified. Instead, it was
outright dismissed as threatening to the existing old scheme.

The initial question on this thread (and implicit on the forum) was not about which one of the two is "true religion" but which one serves better to prepare a young psychiatrist for practice.

Lane's position can be modified. Advances in neurobiology changed the field of psychiatry bringing closer to somatic medicine. Marketplace responded with shifting toward new, obviously, more efficient and effective techniques for treatment of psych diseases. Old psychiatry resisted the shift and tag of war ensued. Ins. and pharm companies didn't change psychiatry, at least not anymore than couch makers changed it for Freud. They responded to the market demand. Big Pharma is in business of selling tools and it was wrong by the other side to attack the toolmaker - by analogy, we don't see old-school carpenters lashing out at Black&Decker for introduction of power drill.

In the march of progress, said John Maynard Keynes, certain groups will fall by the wayside as new ideas and technologies merge to overtake them and make them obsolete. These changes happen with such sudden swiftness that a majority of business enterprises are unable to shift to respond and become obsolete overnight. This process is eternal and unavoidable unless business shifts its paradigm along with the new changes.

Psychoanalysis has to be cavalierly disregarded if we move forward. Old models hinder progress. Compare other industries: Morse code had to be disregarded with advent of digital communication, the whole industry related to transportation on horses disappeared in less than half-a-century, try to find a fountain pen in a dept. store...

I am old enough to bemoan disappearance of blotting paper (not traveling on horses though) but happily write with disposable ball-pen. I might regret disappearance of the couch, but don't expect me to keep one.

Contrary to popular (on this forum ) belief, not only I received almost 2 years of
training in psychodynamic psychotherapy but also spent few precious years of my life on the "couch" (not that I didn't enjoy it or benefited from it). But, IMO, that has little to do with PSYCHIATRY (i.e. treatment of psychiatric diseases), the main point of this discussion. As treatment tool psychoanalysis offers as much competition to biopsychiatry as horse riding to sports car.

BTW, nice moniker.

I heartily agree that biological psychiatry should be the major school of training for the young psychiatrist. I suppose where I disagree is that I don't think psychoanalysis is ipso facto antithetical with this approach. I am no expert on residency/training programmes, but Cornell has been mentioned as an example that has integrated aspects of historical, analytic understanding of mental illness with the biopsychiatric model. To put it philosophically (and not a bit tendentiously), I think there is merit in viewing psychiatry dialectically. As Hegel explained that when a newer theory sublates an older one, the newer theory nevertheless retains the essence of the older, replaced theory. For this reason, a strong understanding of psychoanalysis should be fostered in training not just for its own sake, but also to better understand the underpinnings of biological psychiatry. Keynes would likely disagree with the Hegelian interpretation, but economic theory in my opinion paints with too wide a brush and is not rigorous enough in examination of subtlety. We see this problem with Marx as well.

Unfortunately we have many individuals in the humanities with little or no understanding of science attempting to co-opt psychoanalysis, and I think this is where it gets its reputation as kooky and irreconcilable with modern medicine. To wit, here's a website for an organization that call themselves the 'Center of Psychoanalysis', http://psychoanalysis.buffalo.edu/. Below is their mission statement:

"We Understand:
The unconscious to be without territory (thus resistant to dominant strategies of appropriation and colonization);

The clinic or practice of psychoanalysis to consist of symbolic interventions aimed at treating the real (and thus antithetical to the drug-peddling and pastoral practices of today's "health professions" whose purpose is the sedation of subjects);

Critique to be necessarily immanent (thus opposed to the historicist distortion, which makes history a meta-reality)."

This is not psychoanalysis. This is pseudo-Lacanian garbage littered with fawning allusions to postmodern and postcolonial theory. I could probably write a manifesto on all the inaccuracies and lapses of reason I found on this particular website, but I've ranted enough already. I suppose I'll end by saying a 'psychoanalytic approach' could mean just about anything, and is not necessarily a bad thing so long as it isn't the perverted and obscure type of psychoanalysis seen above!

I heartily agree that biological psychiatry should be the major school of training for the young psychiatrist. I suppose where I disagree is that I don't think psychoanalysis is ipso facto antithetical with this approach. I am no expert on residency/training programmes, but Cornell has been mentioned as an example that has integrated aspects of historical, analytic understanding of mental illness with the biopsychiatric model. To put it philosophically (and not a bit tendentiously), I think there is merit in viewing psychiatry dialectically. As Hegel explained that when a newer theory sublates an older one, the newer theory nevertheless retains the essence of the older, replaced theory. For this reason, a strong understanding of psychoanalysis should be fostered in training not just for its own sake, but also to better understand the underpinnings of biological psychiatry. Keynes would likely disagree with the Hegelian interpretation, but economic theory in my opinion paints with too wide a brush and is not rigorous enough in examination of subtlety. We see this problem with Marx as well.

Unfortunately we have many individuals in the humanities with little or no understanding of science attempting to co-opt psychoanalysis, and I think this is where it gets its reputation as kooky and irreconcilable with modern medicine. To wit, here's a website for an organization that call themselves the 'Center of Psychoanalysis', http://psychoanalysis.buffalo.edu/. Below is their mission statement:

"We Understand:
The unconscious to be without territory (thus resistant to dominant strategies of appropriation and colonization);

The clinic or practice of psychoanalysis to consist of symbolic interventions aimed at treating the real (and thus antithetical to the drug-peddling and pastoral practices of today's "health professions" whose purpose is the sedation of subjects);

Critique to be necessarily immanent (thus opposed to the historicist distortion, which makes history a meta-reality)."

This is not psychoanalysis. This is pseudo-Lacanian garbage littered with fawning allusions to postmodern and postcolonial theory. I could probably write a manifesto on all the inaccuracies and lapses of reason I found on this particular website, but I've ranted enough already. I suppose I'll end by saying a 'psychoanalytic approach' could mean just about anything, and is not necessarily a bad thing so long as it isn't the perverted and obscure type of psychoanalysis seen above!

.Thanks for your kind reply and insightful comments. I don't necessarily see psychoanalysis (psychodynamic hypothesis) as antithetical to psychobiological explanation. A better descriptor might be parallel and conjoint. Present standoff, as I suggested, probably stems from economic and ideological reasons. In fact, I only observed the same degree of "bizarre antipathy" in political, religious, and vested interest (i.e. economic) debates. In these cases (and in almost all human endeavors) intense emotional investment fueled and guided reasoning. .

.Hegelian approach to psychoanalysis vs. biology implies continuity in thesis-antithesis dialectic. IMO, however, neurobiological explanation of psychopathology didn't emerge as antithesis to psychoanalysis but rather as an independent model. By analogy, western medicine was not antithesis to Chinese medical model (twelve standard meridians, eight extraordinary meridians, etc.) but is an independent, parallel discipline. .

.While there is no doubt in my mind that neurobiological approach fits modern diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses, however, there is little evidence - despite many sincere attempts - for effectiveness of psychodynamic theory. .

.The limitations of psychodynamic theory are mountainous and start the moment analysts try to diagnose and treat psychiatric disorders. Some of these deficiencies can be attributed to close proximity of diagnostic and therapeutic tools. In medicine (the best and maybe the only model of the conflict), these tools are far apart. Techniques used to diagnose asthma have nothing in common with treatment. Tools used for diagnosing inf. diseases and antibiotics to treat them are not the same. Radiology and orthopedics are two separate disciplines. In contrast, psychodynamic diagnosis (formulation) and psychodynamic therapy are almost one and the same as if we would take a thermometer and after diagnosing fever reverse it and stick it back to reduce temperature. .

.There is no cohesive and consistent psychodynamic explanation for ADHD, autism and Asperger's disorder, bipolar disorder, depression, catatonia, delirium, dementia, narcolepsy, schizophrenia (in all its manifestations), tics and Tourette's, or trichotillomania just to name a few. Formulations for anxiety and depression leave holes big enough to get a bus through. .

.Let me illustrate. A 25 year old woman walks into the office and during the evaluation we learn that a) her parents divorced when she was 6, b) she believe she was "touched" by her 12 step-brother when she was eight, c) the family moved when she was 11 and she didn't see her father for almost 2 years d) she had a boyfriend when she was 16, they broke up and she was REALLY depressed, e) her grandfather died when she was 17 (they were very close), f) she had an abortion at 22, she has a new boyfriend now g) she is afraid to lose her job and benefits because she bought a small condo and has to pay the mortgage. Question: From psychoanalytical perspectives, which contributed most to recent panic attacks which brought her to the office?
.Therapeutically, psychodynamic psychotherapy offers temporary relief for mild anxiety and depression to a limited population. There are no psychodynamic treatments (even palliative) for schizophrenia (in all its manifestations), bipolar disorders (either I or II), all forms of autism, ADHD, conduct and antisocial personality disorders, all cluster A personality disorders and the rest of B. DBT has more in common with CBT than with psychoanalysis..

. My point in the beginning of this discussion was that the two are irreconcilable and teaching (not just exposing to and familiarizing with) psychodynamic psychotherapy together with neurobiology is confusing and impractical. Psychodynamic approach has one argument - a trump card it uses over and over again -- presumptive authority of the past. Not good enough, in my (and for that matter historical) opinion. I believe there is a place for psychoanalysis but not in psychiatric training and treatment. .

.Given affable ambiance, I'd be happy to share a neurobiological model of mental disorders. So far, the atmosphere is a bit frosty. .

. My point in the beginning of this discussion was that the two are irreconcilable and teaching (not just exposing to and familiarizing with) psychodynamic psychotherapy together with neurobiology is confusing and impractical. Psychodynamic approach has one argument - a trump card it uses over and over again -- presumptive authority of the past. Not good enough, in my (and for that matter historical) opinion. I believe there is a place for psychoanalysis but not in psychiatric training and treatment. .

.Given affable ambiance, I'd be happy to share a neurobiological model of mental disorders. So far, the atmosphere is a bit frosty. .

I think that if your earlier posts had been more of this tone, you would have found us affable indeed.

One objection to your belief that psychoanalysis has no place in psychiatric training: in your case example above, eerily familiar in my day-to-day practice, how would you respond if,
h) her previous psychiatrist, a kindly gentleman of 65, had just announced to her that his retirement was imminent, or if
i) having overdosed on klonopin, she confides in her delirium that "Dr. ____ will be so disappointed in me. He adores me so."

I'm just suggesting that sometimes the psychodynamic concepts of transference, etc. are very relevant to patients' current presentations, and that as a result, exposure to this training DOES have a place in residency. (Though my overall sentiments, to drag us torturously back to the OP, would be that to market your residency program as "psychoanalytically focused" is a waste of time...)

.In medicine (the best and maybe the only model of the conflict), these tools are far apart. Techniques used to diagnose asthma have nothing in common with treatment. not the same. .
. .

you are wrong about this- spirometry, pre and post bronchodilator.

Sometimes response to treatment helps to make a diagnosis. In the field of orthopedics, response to a shoulder steroid injection can help differentiate between labrum tears and rotator cuff tendonitis.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are wrong about this- spirometry, pre and post bronchodilator.

Sometimes response to treatment helps to make a diagnosis. In the field of orthopedics, response to a shoulder steroid injection can help differentiate between labrum tears and rotator cuff tendonitis.

Let's keep it straight. Spirometry, as the name implies, serves solely as diagnostic, not therapeutic, tool. Bronchodilation is not diagnostic but therapeutic.

I've heard about using steroid injections to HELP (not make) differential diagnosis, but, frankly, this isn't good medicine. Using treatment (particularly steroids) to make diagnosis is not within standards of care either in orthopedics or pulmonary medicine.

In medicine we don't use diagnostic tool to treat diseases and we don't rely on therapeutics to make correct diagnosis.

In medicine we don't use diagnostic tool to treat diseases and we don't rely on therapeutics to make correct diagnosis.

I'm with Dr. Rack on this--perhaps in some idealized academic world we can make such a distinction between diagnosis and treatment, but in the messy real world, there is a lot of blurring of lines between the two...

I think that if your earlier posts had been more of this tone, you would have found us affable indeed.

One objection to your belief that psychoanalysis has no place in psychiatric training: in your case example above, eerily familiar in my day-to-day practice, how would you respond if,
h) her previous psychiatrist, a kindly gentleman of 65, had just announced to her that his retirement was imminent, or if
i) having overdosed on klonopin, she confides in her delirium that "Dr. ____ will be so disappointed in me. He adores me so."

I'm just suggesting that sometimes the psychodynamic concepts of transference, etc. are very relevant to patients' current presentations, and that as a result, exposure to this training DOES have a place in residency. (Though my overall sentiments, to drag us torturously back to the OP, would be that to market your residency program as "psychoanalytically focused" is a waste of time...)

A grave error was made in the 1900's when American psychiatrists rejected Kraepelin and Bleuler in favor of Freudian papacy. Then they committed another sin forbidding anyone but MD's to practice psychoanalysis, further isolating themselves from medical community.

Transference is a psychoanalytical construct and has no bearing on medical practice. If a a patient comes to Dr. Rack with rotator cuff tendinitis and good doctor's look reminded her of her brother and the nurse is a spitting image of her late aunt, what difference does it make to the ice pack she applies to her shoulder and NSAID she is going to take?

In 25 y.o. example, it would be profoundly solipsistic to assume that even a thought about "Dr. ____ " will cross patient's mind when she chooses to overdose on Klonopin. I really didn't need another demonstration of psychoanalytical self-serving bias.

A grave error was made in the 1900's when American psychiatrists rejected Kraepelin and Bleuler in favor of Freudian papacy. Then they committed another sin forbidding anyone but MD's to practice psychoanalysis, further isolating themselves from medical community.

Transference is a psychoanalytical construct and has no bearing on medical practice. If a a patient comes to Dr. Rack with rotator cuff tendinitis and good doctor's look reminded her of her brother and the nurse is a spitting image of her late aunt, what difference does it make to the ice pack she applies to her shoulder and NSAID she is going to take?

In 25 y.o. example, it would be profoundly solipsistic to assume that even a thought about "Dr. ____ " will cross patient's mind when she chooses to overdose on Klonopin. I really didn't need another demonstration of psychoanalytical self-serving bias.

I used those two examples because I've observed them. Right now I'm experiencing an interesting bump in admissions of previously stable patients who are in a state of decompensation coincident with the retirement of their respected community psychiatrist--who primarily managed meds, and who would not consider himself an analyst by any means. The example of the young patient in overdose was relayed to me verbatim by our consult psychiatrist who saw a patient of mine following an overdose. I'm not presuming to know what is on anyone else's mind--just inferring from behaviors that minds of others do exist....

It seems that you take great umbrage at historical elitist practices on the part of psychoanalysts. Admittedly - the all-or-none strict constructionist approach is quite irritating. I would note, however, that while many of us here advocate an eclectic approach incorporating multiple treatment modailities including psychodynamic psychotherapy, you are the loudest (only?) voice here calling for a all-or-none strict constructionist exclusion of a treatment option. For me at least, it's not Kraeplin/Bleuler OR Freud, it's Kraeplin, Bleuler, AND Freud.

.I have railed against the false concept of 'biological psychiatry' for years, mostly because it's a completely incoherent one. The false distinction between 'biological' versus I guess what you'd call 'psychological' theories of disease and treatment is pretty much a direct derivation of Cartesian principles. Instead of the load of bull that is mind-body dualism, we instead imply that there is a mind-brain dualism. That somehow psychiatric disease can either be a result of genetic, biochemical, and neuroanatomic differences, OR it can be due to intrapsychic unconscious conflict, cognitive distortions, and maladaptive behaviors.

This false and myopic perspective I believe is what really drives much of the animosity between the two camps. Those with a strong biological orientation point to the strong evidence for genetics and early developmental involvement in psychiatric disease, as well as to studies of neuroanatomy and brain function. Those with a strong psychotherapeutic orientation point to well-documented life histories of their patients as well as their response to treatment which for many disorders exceeds that of psychopharmacological treatment.

They are both missing the point. The brain is a muscle, not an endocrine organ, and the mind, as an entity separate from the substrate, has not been proven to exist in any way shape or form. The brain is a vastly complex and ever-evolving structure. Its malleability is built into its basic physiology. And unlike the vast majority of systems within the body, it operates in large part on positive, rather than negative, feedback.

An effective model of psychiatric disease has to incorporate how experiences, synaptic strengths, and activity of various centers of the brain change over time and in response to environmental and somatic conditions. This is something that in many ways is sadly lacking in our models of psychiatric disease, whether more psychological or biological in nature. The 'biological' theories of mental illness do not offer a coherent pathway from genetic and developmental susceptibility to actual illness. The 'psychological' theories of mental illness do not offer a coherent pathway from thoughts and experiences to biological change.

You use the examples of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and others as evidence that psychodynamic theory itself is fatally flawed. This is flawed logic. Theories of osteoarthritis, tendinosis and disc degeneration are built upon the idea of pathologic musculoskeletal functioning such as muscle asymmetries, poor muscle activation, posture, and muscle tissue quality. On the other hand, these cannot explain the pathophysiology of entities like Rheumatoid Arthritis or Ehlers-Danlos. That doesn't invalidate their usefulness in understanding the former conditions though. Just because all joint pathologies cannot be explained through one theory does not invalidate that theory in explaining SOME conditions. Similarly, while psychodynamic theories may not explain schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, they do quite well with depression, several personality disorders, and many anxiety disorders.

You also mentioned that treatment tools and diagnostic tools should be independent of each other. I beg to differ. As an aspiring strength coach with a focus on injury and rehabilitation, I can tell you that strength exercises are an excellent diagnostic tool as well as a treatment tool. All I have to do is watch someone do a squat to tell them all sorts of things about strength asymmetries, dynamic joint instabilities, and pathological muscle shortening. I can then actually use the squat itself to aid in the rehabilitation of said problems. It's amazing how many knee and hip problems can be resolved this way.

But leaving that argument aside, mechanisms of treatment can inform our understanding of the pathophysiology of disease. Which brings us to a crucial hole in the absolutists' arguments. Psychotherapies have proven very effective for a range of conditions, most prominently the anxiety disorders and depression. This includes brief psychodynamic therapies of several different strains. In fact, while they are roughly equivalent in efficacy to medication for these illnesses, most studies have shown superior relapse prevention.

Which raises an important question. If psychological theories of mental illness are so profoundly in error, then why do psychotherapeutic techniques show so much promise in the treatment of many forms of mental illness?

The answer, as I earlier alluded to, is stupidly simple. The mind as a distinct entity from the brain is a false concept. Thought is a biological phenomenon. Experience is also a biological process. Psychotherapy, which largely addresses thought, experience, and action, is thus a biological treatment. As I've said before, arguing that psychotherapy is not a biological therapy is like arguing that exercise is not a biological activity.

Sure there are shortcomings in psychodynamic and cognitive-behavioral theories, and they lie in the inability of current theory to explain thought, experience, and action in biological terms. Which is hardly surprising given the complexity of the brain and its involvement in these phenomena. Of course, on the flip side, the shortcoming of 'biological' theories is explaining how thought, experience, and action affect the brain in a pathologic way.

Again, the brain is a complex and ever-adapting organ which responds to environment and experience. If experience and input can be manipulated, the brain itself can be manipulated into changing. It thus only make sense that attention should be paid to how modifying experience and thought can lead to beneficial changes in the brain.

It doesn't take a genius to see that psychopharmacology and psychotherapy are simply two different approaches to treating underlying pathology. The real question is why some psychiatrists persist in the belief that it is fine to merely treat the end result of a pathologic process without attempting to intervene in the destructive process itself.

.I have railed against the false concept of 'biological psychiatry' for years, mostly because it's a completely incoherent one. The false distinction between 'biological' versus I guess what you'd call 'psychological' theories of disease and treatment is pretty much a direct derivation of Cartesian principles. Instead of the load of bull that is mind-body dualism, we instead imply that there is a mind-brain dualism. That somehow psychiatric disease can either be a result of genetic, biochemical, and neuroanatomic differences, OR it can be due to intrapsychic unconscious conflict, cognitive distortions, and maladaptive behaviors.

This false and myopic perspective I believe is what really drives much of the animosity between the two camps. Those with a strong biological orientation point to the strong evidence for genetics and early developmental involvement in psychiatric disease, as well as to studies of neuroanatomy and brain function. Those with a strong psychotherapeutic orientation point to well-documented life histories of their patients as well as their response to treatment which for many disorders exceeds that of psychopharmacological treatment.

Completely agree with all that you wrote (though I'll ahve to take your word for it on the muscle and joint stuff). Would note that currently the vast majority of psychiatrists espousing a dynamic or even formally analytic standpoint openly embrace neurobiological research and treatment as valid and important. Most of the "noise" against these entities comes from non-psychiatist therapists of various stripes.

It seems that you take great umbrage at historical elitist practices on the part of psychoanalysts. Admittedly - the all-or-none strict constructionist approach is quite irritating. I would note, however, that while many of us here advocate an eclectic approach incorporating multiple treatment modailities including psychodynamic psychotherapy, you are the loudest (only?) voice here calling for a all-or-none strict constructionist exclusion of a treatment option. For me at least, it's not Kraeplin/Bleuler OR Freud, it's Kraeplin, Bleuler, AND Freud.

.It's time for an analogy. Psychiatrists are akin car mechanics skilled in fixing cars. Therapists of all colors and shapes are offering driver's ed, travel arrangements, and global positioning. Mechanics are predictably peeved when driver instructors barge into their shops with colorful brochures. I would expect travel agents wouldn't welcome car mechanics into their offices.

Psychiatric training should not be offering guiding light to the lost souls - there are other institutions to take care of that - but teach the residents about treatment of mental disorders. It would be false advertising for a travel agency to promise vehicles repair, it's equally misleading for a psychiatric residency to advertise psychodynamic salvation.

Going eclectic is a cute fantasy, I am yet to see GPS fixing cars and mechanics offering travel advice. I am certainly not the loudest, but a realistic and honest voice. The truth is that good biological psychiatrists scoff at psychoanalysis and psychoanalysts can't treat biological disorders. The rest is eclectic rhetoric.

I wasn't aware that travel advice could potentially help a busted radiator.

They are both missing the point. The brain is a muscle, not an endocrine organ, and the mind, as an entity separate from the substrate, has not been proven to exist in any way shape or form. The brain is a vastly complex and ever-evolving structure. Its malleability is built into its basic physiology. And unlike the vast majority of systems within the body, it operates in large part on positive, rather than negative, feedback.

An effective model of psychiatric disease has to incorporate how experiences, synaptic strengths, and activity of various centers of the brain change over time and in response to environmental and somatic conditions. This is something that in many ways is sadly lacking in our models of psychiatric disease, whether more psychological or biological in nature. The 'biological' theories of mental illness do not offer a coherent pathway from genetic and developmental susceptibility to actual illness. The 'psychological' theories of mental illness do not offer a coherent pathway from thoughts and experiences to biological change.

You use the examples of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and others as evidence that psychodynamic theory itself is fatally flawed. This is flawed logic. Theories of osteoarthritis, tendinosis and disc degeneration are built upon the idea of pathologic musculoskeletal functioning such as muscle asymmetries, poor muscle activation, posture, and muscle tissue quality. On the other hand, these cannot explain the pathophysiology of entities like Rheumatoid Arthritis or Ehlers-Danlos. That doesn't invalidate their usefulness in understanding the former conditions though. Just because all joint pathologies cannot be explained through one theory does not invalidate that theory in explaining SOME conditions. Similarly, while psychodynamic theories may not explain schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, they do quite well with depression, several personality disorders, and many anxiety disorders.

You also mentioned that treatment tools and diagnostic tools should be independent of each other. I beg to differ. As an aspiring strength coach with a focus on injury and rehabilitation, I can tell you that strength exercises are an excellent diagnostic tool as well as a treatment tool. All I have to do is watch someone do a squat to tell them all sorts of things about strength asymmetries, dynamic joint instabilities, and pathological muscle shortening. I can then actually use the squat itself to aid in the rehabilitation of said problems. It's amazing how many knee and hip problems can be resolved this way.

But leaving that argument aside, mechanisms of treatment can inform our understanding of the pathophysiology of disease. Which brings us to a crucial hole in the absolutists' arguments. Psychotherapies have proven very effective for a range of conditions, most prominently the anxiety disorders and depression. This includes brief psychodynamic therapies of several different strains. In fact, while they are roughly equivalent in efficacy to medication for these illnesses, most studies have shown superior relapse prevention.

Which raises an important question. If psychological theories of mental illness are so profoundly in error, then why do psychotherapeutic techniques show so much promise in the treatment of many forms of mental illness?

The answer, as I earlier alluded to, is stupidly simple. The mind as a distinct entity from the brain is a false concept. Thought is a biological phenomenon. Experience is also a biological process. Psychotherapy, which largely addresses thought, experience, and action, is thus a biological treatment. As I've said before, arguing that psychotherapy is not a biological therapy is like arguing that exercise is not a biological activity.

Sure there are shortcomings in psychodynamic and cognitive-behavioral theories, and they lie in the inability of current theory to explain thought, experience, and action in biological terms. Which is hardly surprising given the complexity of the brain and its involvement in these phenomena. Of course, on the flip side, the shortcoming of 'biological' theories is explaining how thought, experience, and action affect the brain in a pathologic way.

Again, the brain is a complex and ever-adapting organ which responds to environment and experience. If experience and input can be manipulated, the brain itself can be manipulated into changing. It thus only make sense that attention should be paid to how modifying experience and thought can lead to beneficial changes in the brain.

It doesn't take a genius to see that psychopharmacology and psychotherapy are simply two different approaches to treating underlying pathology. The real question is why some psychiatrists persist in the belief that it is fine to merely treat the end result of a pathologic process without attempting to intervene in the destructive process itself.

.It's fascinating to stumble on so many fundamental errors in a short reply. It would take days and volumes just to refute them. Unfortunately, I have no such luxury and will only address the most egregious blunders.

I wasn't talking about Cartesian dichotomy but neurobiological monoism when I discussed the diseases. There is no mind-brain dualism in psychiatric illnesses, only brain-brain.

The problem with animosity between the camps is lack of common agreed upon terminology and model. The same reason keeps ..astronomy .. & ..astrology, chemistry & alchemy apart. One is science, the other ... who knows?

..What " strong psychotherapeutic orientation point to well-documented life histories of their patients" with "response to treatment" you were referring to. There are no verifiable data. Psychoanalysis is UNTESTABLE. Read Karl Popper who put psychoanalysis into pseudoscience category. Every psychoanalytical success story is a ..non replicable ..testimony. You can't call it science or medicine - it's simply a successful profitable religion. Trying to be fair to both approaches, you undermined real science.

Brain is not a muscle, the muscle is a muscle. If you start the paragraph with this statement how can we move any further. Brain is not one organ, but a collection of systems, actually, system of systems working independently to accomplish common goals. Mind is philosophical, not psychopathological concept.

No other medical specialty has "mind"-like placements. Is there a spirit of compound fracture, specter of colitis, or the ghost of diabetes? There is, however, a sick brain, best treated with modern psychiatric (read biological) methods.

The example of squatting as a diagnostic tool can't be taken seriously. I will question "how many [other] knee and hip problems" can be cured by squatting? Osgood-Schlatter, Legg Calve Perthes, osteosarcoma, and gonococcal arthritis? How do isolated anecdotes become arguments in this debate?

Psychoanalysis is a placebo. Placebo has certain temporary effect and is much cheaper than analysis.

Psychotherapies have been proven very effective, indeed, but not psychoanalysis which is at the core of this debate. Not psychoanalysis. Let me repeat, there is no evidence, other than testimonials, that PSYCHOANALYSIS does any good. Mixing psychotherapy and psychoanalysis doesn't do service to other therapies.

Answering your question, these are not psychological, but psychoanalytical theories that are profoundly in error. Neuropsychology has it straight, so does psychogenetics, evolutionary psychology, psychochemistry, cognitive sciences, and CBT. Psychoanalysis doesn't.

Psychotherapies, in general, have lower effectiveness in treatment of mental disorders because of fundamental limitations:

1. If we assume that only 10% of American public is affected by psychologically treatable mental disorders ( a very modest estimate, the number is close to 20%) then we will need 750,000 therapists working 40 hours a week to see them only once a week for 1 hour. The cost is $150,000,000,000 a year for therapy alone.
. 2. A patient should be fluent speaker, possess mature PFC with at least average IQ, willing to participate in weekly sessions and committed to months (more like years) of therapy, being able to afford the sessions at $100 a pop (usually more).
. 3. S/he must be free of psychosis, antisocial PD, autism, etc. Be honest, articulate and have an insight.

Assuming ..(the mother of assumptions) ..that psychotherapies are equal in effectiveness (not in efficacy) to psychopharmacology and considering psychotherapy as sole treatment for mental disorders, no country on Earth, bar San Marino, can afford it.

Another mistake is confusing neurobiology with psychopharmacology. It's like equating orthopedics with a cast. Also, your depiction of biological psychiatry is a caricature; you are attacking a shadow. Neurobiology has very little in common with the bogeyman you drew.

Neurobiology explains thought, experience and action, not the other way around. Thought does not affect the brain in a pathological way as software does not affect hardware in a pathological way, except in a science fiction and James Bond movies. "Attention should be paid to how" brain works and breaks, not how normal life experience allegedly traumatizes the brain. It doesn't.

In your last paragraphs you attempt to pathologize life itself. An interesting concept, not seen any more outside psychoanalytical quarters. A century and a half ago, influenced by Pasteur's model of illness, physicians looked at life as cause of illness. Medicine went ahead but psychoanalytical thinking got stuck and stubbornly looks for culprits. Good luck.

Last edited:
. The truth is that good biological psychiatrists scoff at psychoanalysis and psychoanalysts can't treat biological disorders.

Talk about sweeping generalizations! There are lots of "good biological psychiatrists" (though I remain confused as to WTF differentiates a "biological psychiatrist" from a "psychiatrist") who do not scoff at psychoanalysis - including chairs of major departments. As for psychoanalysts being unable to treat "biological disorders" (though again, I remain confused as to what differentiates a "biological disorder" from a "psychiatric disorder"), I know a few Harvard trained neuropsychiatrists and CL psychiatrists who are also analysts that might beg to differ with you.

.The truth is that good biological psychiatrists scoff at psychoanalysis and psychoanalysts can't treat biological disorders. The rest is eclectic rhetoric.

Here's a review of a book by someone who is a Nobel-prize winning biological psychiatrist who takes seriously the ideas of a dynamic unconscious, intrapsychic conflict, etc:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/163/1/165

By the way, analytic principles can be used far outside the realm of traditional analytic therapy:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...d=492150&md5=923ad84a359e566b1208989f48087896

And there are many studies that affirm the uesfulness of dynamic approaches. Here's an article that discusses the limitations and strengths of the existing studies:

http://apa.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/54/4/1307

I'm the one who made an earlier inflammatory comment, but I do believe that many/most self-proclaimed psychopharmacologists do an inadequate job of assessment and treatment, at least partly because the most efficacious approach to many of our patients includes a three-dimensional assessment and treatment that is simply dispensed with by many of these "psychopharmacologists." While some are truly expert, many are simply marketing themselves in the interest of money and/or a reduction of effort.

Regardless of whether or not you think that psychotherapies in general and psychodynamic psychotherapies specifically are efficacious for the treatment of Axis I disorders, there is the question of how any psychiatrist is going to engage a patient in treatment of any kind. No matter how efficacious a "biological" treatment is, it will have zero effect if the patient does not take the medicine or drops out of treatment. The therapeutic alliance (a term derived from the psychodynamic framework, BTW) is extremely important for all psychiatric treatments. Without it, you can forget about adherence. And you are mistaken if you think that all it takes to have a good alliance with your patients is to be a "good person" and be "friends" with your patients. In fact, there are situations where it is less helpful when your patients like you, and it takes some understanding of character to know this. For example, your chronic schizophrenic patient who has underlying masochistic character traits won't tell you that he hasn't been taking his clozapine for the last 2 weeks out of fear of letting you down, because he "likes" you. Psychodynamic skills are also helpful when you are trying to explore whether someone is having sexual side effects from an SSRI, when he is probably having a hard time talking about this to his male psychiatrist who reminds him of his humiliating father. We're not talking about interpreting unconscious fantasies, here. Just a way of understanding inner experience that is immensely helpful in doing the work of "biological psychiatry." The patient doesn't have to know at all what you are thinking about their unconscious mind. I don't think anyone here is arguing that psychoanalysis is going to provide a "cure" for schizophrenia or major depression. Hopefully, nobody is arguing at this point that medications are providing this, either.

.It's fascinating to stumble on so many fundamental errors in a short reply. It would take days and volumes just to refute them. Unfortunately, I have no such luxury and will only address the most egregious blunders.

That's funny, because I feel the same way reading your posts.

I wasn't talking about Cartesian dichotomy but neurobiological monoism when I discussed the diseases.

That was more or less my point. You fail to accept that psychodynamic theories may indeed have some basis in neurobiological fact. Which is unfortunate because with a deeper understanding of neurobiology you could understand some of the applicable neurobiological correlates to psychodynamic theories of the pathogenesis of mental illness. My other point with that statement is that psychodynamic theorists perhaps do not work hard enough at doing just that. Which is unfortunate, but will hopefully change as a new generation of psychodynamically-oriented psychiatrists embrace a greater understanding of neurobiology. I have been focusing my research training on becoming one of those.

The problem with animosity between the camps is lack of common agreed upon terminology and model. The same reason keeps ..astronomy .. & ..astrology, chemistry & alchemy apart. One is science, the other ... who knows?

One of the great laments of my life has been being born into a world in which the state of scientific techniques is so advanced, and yet understanding of scientific principles is so poor. You see, my biggest beef with the so-called 'biological psychiatrists' is that they are nowhere near as scientific as they claim to be. Before medicine, I trained in a discipline in which understanding of philosophy and history of science was paramount. This is sadly not the case in much of modern science education and practice, with discussion of scientific epistemology and philosophy sadly relegated to the garbage bin.

The truth is that while 'biological psychiatry' may observe many associations, such as genetic susceptibilities, neurotransmitter transporter defects, specific neurocognitive defects and neuroanatomic correlations and enzyme pathways that are associated with disease, they continue to offer us no more than a snapshot of disease. They show us diseased individual and say 'look at all these things! This must be why they developed disease in the first place!!!!' Which is horrid scientific interpretation. 'Biological psychiatry', especially in the case of unipolar mood and anxiety disorders, still gives us little in the way of an explanation for disease pathogenesis. Few if any of the genetic or developmental factors they have elucidated have proven necessary AND sufficient to produce disease.

Correlation does not imply causation. This is one of the first scientific principles one should learn. And yet, much as it is for psychodynamic theories, biological psychiatry with few exceptions continues to rely on correlational evidence. You can dress it up and use fancy names and show biochemicals instead of life history events or consistent cognitive patterns, but the end ..result is the same. As an example from musculoskeletal medicine, this is like looking at the asymmetric joint space in patients with knee osteoarthritis and then arguing that the joint space asymmetry is the cause of arthritis.

Brain is not a muscle, the muscle is a muscle. If you start the paragraph with this statement how can we move any further. Brain is not one organ, but a collection of systems, actually, system of systems working independently to accomplish common goals.
Actually my point, which I admit was probably not as clear as it was intended to be, is that the very structure and functioning of the brain is changed by brain activity in and of itself, in many cases based on positive rather than negative feedback concepts. This is one of the most basic concepts in neurobiology which one learns in their very first course on the subject. As one of the fathers of modern neurobiology proclaimed, "Nerves that fire together, wire together." Neuronal changes in response to activity have been studied extensively and every serious attempt at modeling neural and brain activity includes this phenomenon. Whether it's Kandel's studies of LTP in the giant sea slug or studies into the development of ocular dominance columns, this is basic, basic stuff.

Mind is philosophical, not psychopathological concept.

No other medical specialty has "mind"-like placements. Is there a spirit of compound fracture, specter of colitis, or the ghost of diabetes? There is, however, a sick brain, best treated with modern psychiatric (read biological) methods.

I'm not sure how you misinterpreted this, because I thought I was expressly clear in that I don't believe in a mind, and that I believe there is the brain and only the brain, and that all thought and experience are biological phenomena. I do believe that as psychodynamic psychotherapies have been proven quite effective in a number of psychiatric disease, that this must be orchestrated through biological change in the brain. I also believe that the challenge for modern psychodynamically-oriented psychiatrists is to more fully translate and refine their theories through the lens of neurobiology.

The example of squatting as a diagnostic tool can't be taken seriously. I will question "how many [other] knee and hip problems" can be cured by squatting? Osgood-Schlatter, Legg Calve Perthes, osteosarcoma, and gonococcal arthritis? How do isolated anecdotes become arguments in this debate?

Tell the thousands upon thousands of people with hip and knee pain due to musculoskeletal dysfunction who have been successfully treated with physical therapy and corrective exercise that it doesn't work and then come back to me...

I specifically cautioned against overgeneralization in my post and yet here you go again. Let me give it to you again. Because one theory of pathogenesis, or one treatment, or one diagnostic tool, does not apply to all disease of a physiologic system does not invalidate it as an explanation of some diseases of a physiologic system. As a treatment example, steroids are the most effective treatment for a broad range of post-infectious peripheral polyneuropahties. But they don't work well (actually, they don't work at all) for Charcot Marie Tooth disease. This does not devalue their use in the treatment of of post-infectious demyelinating syndromes.

To bring it back around to psychiatry, the failure of psychodynamic theories to explain the pathophysiology of bipolar or schizophrenia does not discount their ability to explain major depressive disorder or generalized anxiety disorder. The lack of efficacy of psychodynamic therapies in the treatment of the former disorders does not diminish their proven efficacy in the latter.

Neurobiology explains thought, experience and action, not the other way around. Thought does not affect the brain in a pathological way as software does not affect hardware in a pathological way, except in a science fiction and James Bond movies. "Attention should be paid to how" brain works and breaks, not how normal life experience allegedly traumatizes the brain. It doesn't.

In your last paragraphs you attempt to pathologize life itself. An interesting concept, not seen any more outside psychoanalytical quarters. A century and a half ago, influenced by Pasteur's model of illness, physicians looked at life as cause of illness. Medicine went ahead but psychoanalytical thinking got stuck and stubbornly looks for culprits. Good luck. .

The fact that you attempt to distinguish between 'software' and 'hardware' shows how poor your understanding of neurobiology really is. Please see my earlier discussion of the changing brain, although you are probably better served by reading some basic neurobiology and cognitive psychology texts. The idea that 'life' does not affect the structure and function of the brain is quite simply without any basis in fact. And with many proven examples to the contrary, one of the most famous being the growth in the hippocampus in response to the exhaustive navigation knowledge an aspiring London taxi driver must acquire. It is even the basis for ECT and the ketamine coma as a treatment for a range of conditions. These are thought to work precisely by 'undoing' so to speak many of the changes that 'life' has wrought in the disease brain. 'Life' also affects many people with chronic pain, and a single bout of encephalitis or meningitis may sensitize pain-sensing areas in the thalamus to the point that any stimulus whatsoever may induce an unbearably painful response.

You are right in that I look to life itself as a source of mental illness, all illness really. Is 'life' an important variable in the pathogenesis of diabetes, degenerative joint disease, heart disease, and dementia? Absolutely. Asians living in Asia eating traditional Asian foods and engaging in a traditional Asian lifestyle have very low rates of chronic disease. They move to the states or simply adopt our sedentary lifestyle, large amounts of time indoors, and poor diet, and all of a sudden develop rates of chronic disease similar to that of Americans in general. Clearly 'life' has nothing to do with that. The rate of obesity has nearly tripled in the past 40 years. Clearly that has nothing to do with 'life'. Do I need to go on?

Are there diseases in which 'life' does not play a significant role in pathogenesis? Sure, they are called autosomal dominant diseases with 100% penetrance and 0% of phenotypic variance in the trait attributable to environmental factors. And those are practically everywhere you look in psychiatry aren't they? *snort*

The prevalence of mental illness is almost 1 in 4. Of that less than 1/4 are illnesses such as schizophrenia, bipolar, or OCD/tic disorders. When 1 in 4 of us has a mental illness, and almost every other person will suffer from mental illness at some point in our lives, I think it is stupid not to question whether 'life' plays a role in psychopathology. Explaining that this is purely deterministically biological and completely out of our control and that our bodies and brains have no ability to either avoid insults that result in the development of or heal themselves from psychopathology is a profoundly precarious position to take in light of the vast body of evidence of the experiential changes in the brain itself that have been well documented and are increasingly moreso.

Moreover, arguing that although the brain does change over time in response to environment and experience thereof, that we as humans have no capacity to effect healthy change in the brain through modification of environment and experience is also a difficult position to maintain.

Last, there is a growing body of evidence of beneficial or at least normalizing changes in the brain in response to psychodynamic psychotherapy, among others. Do you really argue that this is just 'placebo response', despite similar efficacy and better long-term outcomes when compared to medication? Even though it has been shown that the placebo response to medication as seen in EEG, MRI, SPECT, and PET is very different temporally and regionally is different from medication response, and that the changes seen in response to medication is similar to what is seen in response to psychotherapy?

In conclusion, you are right in that I pathologize 'life'. Perhaps this is because I am simply too much of an optimist to believe that we as a population are biologically determined to be so sick. Perhaps this is because I am foolhardy in believing that health is more than fate. Maybe it's because I am a dirty hippy who believes that medicine is evil and poisonous and that its being forced down our throats by the pharmaceutical-government complex and that healthy living will cure all of our ills.

This weird belief of mine percolates throughout my view of medicine. For some reason, even though I can use a biguanide to sensitize a newly-diagnosed diabetic's cells to insulin and normalize their HGB A1c, I'd prefer to have that diabetic change their diet and live a healthier lifestyle and see their body re-establish non-pathologic levels of insulin sensitivity on its own. But, that's misguided, because 'life' does not lead to disease and the patient has no control over this disease process.

I also find myself clucking in disapproval when I see a patient with excessive cervical and lumbar lordosis, causing asymmetric strain on their discs which results in unbalanced degradation vs. regeneration, which will ultimately lead to disc bulge/herniation, hypertrophy of the adjacent vertebral endplates, uncovertebral degeneration, and facet arthropathy which will lead to chronic pain, disability, and extensive surgeries of minimal benefit which may in fact lead to further degeneration of surrounding discs. I misguidedly assist them in normalizing their posture using appropriate exercises and stretches to restore muscular integrity and hopefully avoid that long, painful slide into debility. Surely it'd be preferable if I simply ignored their multiple bouts of acute back pain and told them to 'take it easy for 6 weeks and take some NSAIDs' and then when the DDD has progressed, refer them to a neurosurgeon. After all, 'life' is not pathogenetic, and the epidemic of back pain in this country has nothing to do with any factor in our control whatsoever.

Or, maybe it's because as a physician and a scientist, I am well aware of the capacity for change possessed by the human body and believe that its importance in understanding the development of psychiatric disease has been ignored too long, and that the ability to harness the brain's innate capacity for change must be explored to the fullest in order to aid my patients in becoming as healthy as possible. And my hope that some day we will be able to identify those who--due to life events and their response to them or subtle cognitive or behavioral difficulties--may be at risk for psychiatric illness, could be identified early enough that intervention could be preventive rather than reactive in nature. Shame on me for wanting my patients to be as healthy as possible.

mishavrach--

Since you're new-ish here, it might be immensely helpful if you would enlighten us a little about your type of practice, tell us a little about your treatment approach, let us know a little about yourself beyond your passion for the purity of a neurobiological basis for psychiatry.

Talk about sweeping generalizations! There are lots of "good biological psychiatrists" (though I remain confused as to WTF differentiates a "biological psychiatrist" from a "psychiatrist") who do not scoff at psychoanalysis - including chairs of major departments. As for psychoanalysts being unable to treat "biological disorders" (though again, I remain confused as to what differentiates a "biological disorder" from a "psychiatric disorder"), I know a few Harvard trained neuropsychiatrists and CL psychiatrists who are also analysts that might beg to differ with you.

Sweeping generalization should be allowed as an antidote to decades of misconceptions. To clarify; the distinction between somatic and psychiatric disorders is for illustration purposes only. All psychiatric disorders are biological. Psychoanalysis doesn't treat psychiatric disorders. Assuming otherwise is to misconstrue terminology and nature of psychoanalysis. Harvard trained neuropsychiatrists , CL, and certain chairmen of certain departments might very well differ with me, I'll take your word for it. I don't think, however, we shouldn't substitute intelligent discussion with namedropping.

Here's a review of a book by someone who is a Nobel-prize winning biological psychiatrist who takes seriously the ideas of a dynamic unconscious, intrapsychic conflict, etc:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/163/1/165

By the way, analytic principles can be used far outside the realm of traditional analytic therapy:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T70-4BYBS9F-19&_user=492150&_coverDate=09%2F30%2F1980&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1304793877&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000022719&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=492150&md5=923ad84a359e566b1208989f48087896

And there are many studies that affirm the uesfulness of dynamic approaches. Here's an article that discusses the limitations and strengths of the existing studies:

http://apa.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/54/4/1307

I'm the one who made an earlier inflammatory comment, but I do believe that many/most self-proclaimed psychopharmacologists do an inadequate job of assessment and treatment, at least partly because the most efficacious approach to many of our patients includes a three-dimensional assessment and treatment that is simply dispensed with by many of these "psychopharmacologists." While some are truly expert, many are simply marketing themselves in the interest of money and/or a reduction of effort.

I can't spend time perusing other people's articles and debate the weblinks. I'll comment, however, on the first one. Eric Kandel wrote academic theoretical papers. He is a brilliant researcher but he does not practice psychiatry for almost 40 years. The reviewer in the linked article stated: I wish that more of the commentaries had similarly focused on the complexities and challenges of translating Kandel's work into empirical clinical research, let alone clinical
outcomes.
.Précisément.!

It is obvious to me that you are uninformed about practice of psychopharmacology which from a distance looks like a drug dispensary. I am tempted to leave you at your misapprehension.

Last edited:
Sweeping generalization should be allowed as an antidote to decades of misconceptions. To clarify; the distinction between somatic and psychiatric disorders is for illustration purposes only. All psychiatric disorders are biological. Psychoanalysis doesn't treat psychiatric disorders. Assuming otherwise is to misconstrue terminology and nature of psychoanalysis. Harvard trained neuropsychiatrists , CL, and certain chairmen of certain departments might very well differ with me, I'll take your word for it. I don't think, however, we shouldn't substitute intelligent discussion with namedropping.

Not namedropping, just comparing your statements about "good biological psychiatrists" with my experience of folks you might identify as such.

I don't see why one can't try to be skilled in both areas.

One certainly can. There are even odder combinations. A geneticist, a director of Genome Project who believes in God and Intelligent Design. A tenured Harvard psychiatry professor who believes in alien abduction and offers psychotherapy to victims. Licensed physicians who practice homeopathy. A rabbi who denies the Holocaust. Even the actuaries who buy lottery tickets. Why not?

Regardless of whether or not you think that psychotherapies in general and psychodynamic psychotherapies specifically are efficacious for the treatment of Axis I disorders, there is the question of how any psychiatrist is going to engage a patient in treatment of any kind. No matter how efficacious a "biological" treatment is, it will have zero effect if the patient does not take the medicine or drops out of treatment. The therapeutic alliance (a term derived from the psychodynamic framework, BTW) is extremely important for all psychiatric treatments. Without it, you can forget about adherence.

The rest of the medical world happily and successfully exist without a heavy burden of he therapeutic alliance. Obviously it's possible to practice medicine without the benefit of "psychodynamic framework". The rest is banal. I'll rephrase: No matter how efficacious a "psychoanalytical" treatment is, it will have zero effect if the patient does not care or drops out of treatment.

Psychodynamic skills are also helpful when you are trying to explore whether someone is having sexual side effects from an SSRI, when he is probably having a hard time talking about this to his male psychiatrist who reminds him of his humiliating father.

One can't justify bad bedside manners or lack of communication skills on lack of awareness about therapeutic alliance. There are doctor who can and those who can't, regardless of specialty and subspecialty.

We're not talking about interpreting unconscious fantasies, here. Just a way of understanding inner experience that is immensely helpful in doing the work of "biological psychiatry." The patient doesn't have to know at all what you are thinking about their unconscious mind. I don't think anyone here is arguing that psychoanalysis is going to provide a "cure" for schizophrenia or major depression. Hopefully, nobody is arguing at this point that medications are providing this, either.

Are you saying that only trained psychoanalytical psychiatrists "truly" connect with their patients? What about the others, aloof a clueless saps? Or maybe without psychodynamic framework the world would never experience empathy? How do psychiatrists who were never trained in psychodynamic framework practice in the rest of the world?

Sir William Osler must have been an un-insightful, egotistic snob. Bruno Bettelheim, OTOH, must have been sensitive and "understanding [of] inner experience" of mothers of autistic children.

Last edited:
Asians living in Asia eating traditional Asian foods and engaging in a traditional Asian lifestyle have very low rates of chronic disease. They move to the states or simply adopt our sedentary lifestyle, large amounts of time indoors, and poor diet, and all of a sudden develop rates of chronic disease similar to that of Americans in general. Clearly 'life' has nothing to do with that. The rate of obesity has nearly tripled in the past 40 years. Clearly that has nothing to do with 'life'. Do I need to go on?

No, you don't, but I will. Continuing with my previous analogy, now you are blaming bad roads for the broken axle. When an asian-american patient comes to you with obesity, diabetes, CAD, and DVT, are you going to treat the patient or tell her that if stayed in her native land, none of this would have happened. First, is that true? Second, is it why she came to your office? Too late for her to undo the damage. Recommending changing diet and exercises? She is 65, has a bad knee and SOB. When a psychiatric patient comes to a medical doctor (psychiatrist) doctor's job is to treat, not to look for something that happened 45 years ago when the patient was a little girl.

The prevalence of mental illness is almost 1 in 4. Of that less than 1/4 are illnesses such as schizophrenia, bipolar, or OCD/tic disorders. When 1 in 4 of us has a mental illness, and almost every other person will suffer from mental illness at some point in our lives, I think it is stupid not to question whether 'life' plays a role in psychopathology.

I'll revise my original numbers in light of this revelation. It should read:
.1,875,000 therapists working 40 hours a week to see patients only once a week for 1 hour. The cost is $375,000,000,000 a year for therapy alone at modest $100 a visit. .

Moreover, arguing that although the brain does change over time in response to environment and experience thereof, that we as humans have no capacity to effect healthy change in the brain through modification of environment and experience is also a difficult position to maintain.

Brain changes, but let's not equate change with psychopathology, mental disorders, madness, insanity... should I continue? Life is not pathological unless we confuse normal changes with psychogenesis.

Last, there is a growing body of evidence of beneficial or at least normalizing changes in the brain in response to psychodynamic psychotherapy, among others.

Once again, "normalizing" changes are not treatment and psychodynamic psychotherapists were as much bewildered (while rejoicing) about the meaning of these unpredictable and inconsistent changes. These changes are meaningless as psychoanalysis is not replicable.

If a psychoanalyst "treats" a patient with depression and six months later determines that she is cured (after all, depression is a cyclical disorder) how would that help her identical twin sister who walked into another analyst's office across town? If we compare formulations, what are the chances that they are even remotely close? These are Achilles heels of psychoanalysis: behind close doors; testimonials, not verifiable, not falsifiable (Popper's definition of pseudoscience), not replicable, self-serving (success is always credited to the therapist, but failure is the patient's fault).

Someone told me that in psychoanalysis if patient is early - she is neurotic, if she is late - hostile, and if on time - obsessive. How can you lose?

In conclusion, you are right in that I pathologize 'life'. Perhaps this is because I am simply too much of an optimist to believe that we as a population are biologically determined to be so sick.

I think if you substitute the word "evolution" for "life" we might agree on something after all. Looking at psychiatric disorders from evolutionary perspective, one would conclude that, indeed, we are biologically determined to get sick... The night whiled away, and Scheherazade stopped in the middle of the story. The King asked her to finish, but Scheherazade said there was not time, as dawn was breaking.

Last edited:
mishavrach--

Since you're new-ish here, it might be immensely helpful if you would enlighten us a little about your type of practice, tell us a little about your treatment approach, let us know a little about yourself beyond your passion for the purity of a neurobiological basis for psychiatry.

I won't share too much info about myself, my anonymity makes me equally impervious to praise and criticism. After all, Doc Samson is a fictional character, albeit a superman (you shouldn't've been getting cross with me when I called him "boy" - it was all in good jest). I have a patchy education (MS, MD, peds/psych/child and adolescent psych, modest clinical faculty position (by choice), 25 years in private practice, wrote several books ... planted trees, bought a house, raised children).

In the next few days I'll compose a summary - a Neurobiological Manifesto, if you will - and open myself to criticism, acerbic remarks, and scathing comments. It's only fair.

Are you saying that only trained psychoanalytical psychiatrists "truly" connect with their patients? What about the others, aloof a clueless saps? Or maybe without psychodynamic framework the world would never experience empathy? How do psychiatrists who were never trained in psychodynamic framework practice in the rest of the world?

No. I am saying that psychiatrists with psychodynamic training (not psychoanalytic training - you appear to not understand the difference between psychoanalytic and psychodynamic, despite this having been explained numerous times on this thread) are, on average, better at understanding their patients' inner mental life. The others are not aloof or clueless, they are just perhaps a little less adept at helping their patients to feel better through talking. It's not that they never experience empathy, but that they may not spend as much time thinking about how their remarks were or were not empathic, and how this might affect their relationship with their patients. The fact is that it takes some skill to know how to help people through talking. Hopefully, we can all agree that the mind is a complex thing and that there are aspects of it that are not understandable merely through introspection or by being a "good person."

Your notion of "truly" is some sort of fantasy about perfection that seems to mirror your very devaluing stance of psychodynamics. This is what we, in the psychodynamic world, call "splitting."

Well ladies and gents, I am bowing out of this thread. It is clear that mishavrach has no interest in learning anything new about psychodynamic psychotherapy and the discussion is not producing anything useful because he keeps presenting the same ridiculous analogies over and over (yes, bad roads do cause broken axles). Furthermore, no-one else seems swayed by his rhetoric, so I have no motivation to continue on this particular merry-go-round.

I think mishavrach is saying some interesting things now that he has backed off from personal attacks. However he is attacking the closely held ideals of some frequent posters (myself included). Hmmm... And, he insulted a moderator. Well, other posters have been insulted in this forum before (without threats of banning the insulter as happened above) and no one normally makes a fuss about that unless the insulter is using profanity. I think that sets a disturbing double standard.

I don't agree with mishavrach's conclusions at all--he certainly has not (and in my opinion probably cannot) substantiate his draconian conclusion about "psychoanalysis." Moreover he continues to confuse psychodynamics with psychoanalysis. Nonetheless he makes some interesting points.

Personally as a mere psychiatry intern I do not hold any point of view so dearly that I would ever say I "believe" anything about psychiatry. Psychiatry is supposed to be part of science which means it should be open to debate. As a person interested in psychodynamic psychotherapy therefore, I don't close my mind to all criticism of what it's about.

Here are two things I found interesting:

Someone told me that in psychoanalysis if patient is early - she is neurotic, if she is late - hostile, and if on time - obsessive. How can you lose?

Is this true? Psychiatry has skeletons in its closet and one of them is the stereotype of the know-it-all, key-holding doctor. Just over on another forum there was a post about people being brought in by family members who accused them of being mentally ill when there was nothing wrong with them. I must say I DO come across this attitude somewhat in my own experience as a resident. Not always, of course, but we run the risk of patronizing our patients, for sure! I.e. the patient is always wrong! I especially noticed this when I went off service and realized how much CREDIT non-psychiatric patients are given by their doctors when they tell their stories.

When an asian-american patient comes to you with obesity, diabetes, CAD, and DVT, are you going to treat the patient or tell her that if stayed in her native land, none of this would have happened. First, is that true? Second, is it why she came to your office? Too late for her to undo the damage. Recommending changing diet and exercises? She is 65, has a bad knee and SOB. When a psychiatric patient comes to a medical doctor (psychiatrist) doctor's job is to treat, not to look for something that happened 45 years ago when the patient was a little girl.

People are making lots of analogies to medicine here. Well, from what I've seen of internal medicine--things like obesity and lack of exercise really DON'T get treated much. Whether this is because doctors are lazy or cynical/burnt out or because these problems are intractable I do not know. To talk about things like the "capacity for change" (like MOM mentioned) is very subjective if not wishy washy. Personally, in medicine, I'M not seeing dramatic changes in weight, exercise or smoking cessation. What I'm seeing is beta blockers, inhalers, and insulin being doled out in spades. Recommendations are GIVEN to lose weight, etc. They are summarily ignored. (However maybe I haven't worked on the right service.) This ubiquitous tendency to ignore good advice is something we in psychiatry should, of all people, understand, since it's part of human nature!

I think mishavrach has a good point about how when a 65 year old comes in, in a medical sense, they will need treatment. That's what I've seen in medicine. I don't know about the rest of you. I don't know about psychodynamic psychiatry and what that has to offer. What I'm asking is--is "medicine" actually the best analogy for psychodynamic psychotherapy? I'm not sure if people are better or worse at changing psychologically than they are at changing physically, but they sure aren't great at changing physically from what obesity rates, etc seem to show!

Also, as far as "life" affecting people's "brains" some people weather the difficulties of life in a mental sense very well--turning their own struggles into insightful poetry, or political movements to make changes for the betterment of humanity, whereas others go on to have flagrant cases of PTSD with only the slightest amounts of trauma. So there's a spectrum of how people respond to life. Even in the negative cases we are not talking about gross brain damage either. So it is NOT obvious that the input is "life event x" and the output is "change y" to the brain.

Mishavrach may have bad manners and an argument lacking in logic, in my opinion, and he ignores many people who have provided him with good information, but that doesn't mean every word out of his mouth is lacking in interesting content. I kind of like some of the things he's said.

Also his calculation of the world cost of psychoanalysis is hilarious.

And this is far better than the endless "what are my chances" or "salary" threads...

Here are two things I found interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishavrach

Is this true? Psychiatry has skeletons in its closet and one of them is the stereotype of the know-it-all, key-holding doctor. Just over on another forum there was a post about people being brought in by family members who accused them of being mentally ill when there was nothing wrong with them. I must say I DO come across this attitude somewhat in my own experience as a resident. Not always, of course, but we run the risk of patronizing our patients, for sure! I.e. the patient is always wrong! I especially noticed this when I went off service and realized how much CREDIT non-psychiatric patients are given by their doctors when they tell their stories.

I think that it is true among the hard-core analysts, and is something I always found extremely off-putting about the psychodynamic aspects of my training. What I find very anti-scientific about the Freudians is the attitude that THEY know what the answer is, whereas the analysand has no idea (consciously, at least.) It's rather like astrology and creation "science" in that you know the answer a priori before the question is asked.

Now do we extend that paternalistic attitude to all of our patients? I hope not--though it's easy to learn to distrust the high proportion of substance users and malingerers that our discipline has relative to our peer specialties. People are motivated to lie or mislead in order to appear "better" than they are--doesn't matter if we're asking about how much they exercised or flossed since they're last appointment, or whether they're still sober...

[BTW--my PD probably would die laughing if he knew I was being perceived by anyone as pro-psychodynamic! I was admonished several times for having a poor attitude toward our psychoanalytic conferences.... :smuggrin:]

..What " strong psychotherapeutic orientation point to well-documented life histories of their patients" with "response to treatment" you were referring to. There are no verifiable data. Psychoanalysis is UNTESTABLE. Read Karl Popper who put psychoanalysis into pseudoscience category. Every psychoanalytical success story is a ..non replicable ..testimony. You can't call it science or medicine - it's simply a successful profitable religion. Trying to be fair to both approaches, you undermined real science.

While I applaud your faith in the scientific method and agree with you that psychoanalytic theories (at least in their classic form) cannot be properly characterized as "scientific", I think the reality of both scientific investigation and clinical practice is a lot more nuanced than you make it.

From a scientific perspective, which I know quite a bit about, as someone who participated actively in the Kandel linage, the cutting edge neuroscience at the circuitry and systems level are only BEGINNING to address these complicated issues in causality. Yes, neurons cause behavior. But the precise algorithm in which the activity of circuitry generates a predictable pattern of behavior is pretty much unknown. We know roughly how the primary visual system works. Roughly how parietal attention works. Roughly how frontal eye fields control gaze. But we can't predict the pattern of gaze in any individual. The bottleneck is multifold, both in terms of the experimental techniques--the inability to record from a large number of neurons, the lack of ability to manipulate them--and in theoretical issues--mathematics describing complex chaotic systems such as neural networks, is really not very mature, and even the statistical and analytic toolbox for manipulating multineuronal signal is evolving.

The bottomline is, scientifically we don't know how to approach large sized, high dimensional, longitudinal data, especially psychiatric data. The timeline to make psychiatry a bottom-up field like cardiology might be hundreds of years. The possible machines that are fast enough and have enough storage to process genomic data, for instance, may not emerge for another century.

This is not to say we can't find some very useful causal relationships in very narrow domains with neural imaging, invasive recording, intervention, drugs, etc. But I think it's not fair to say that the current neurobiologic understanding of the brain is sufficient to explain the majority of mental phenomena, either because of a lack of data, or because a lack of properly delineated theory.

The best hope of a scientific basis of psychiatry, therefore, is something that's "evidence based". I.e. a top down approach of science where often the mechanism isn't known but practical results come from statistical analysis of clinical data. This approach has obvious pitfalls, but so far seems to be the core of training in psychiatry and medicine. Many of these also have some rudimentary form of mechanistic correlate, which then can be collated under the umbrella of "biologic psychiatry", or in Tom Insel's words "clinical neuroscience."

The problem that is psychiatry seems to be unique in that it's not JUST a science. Psychiatry is a discipline that crosses between scientific and narrative in scope. It doesn't matter how well we understand the pathophysiology of schizophrenia, individual experience of it, if not necessarily relevant to practice, is nevertheless interesting and often what motivates the individual practitioner. What I'm saying is that the "psychodynamic therapist" isn't really treating anything--though perhaps there is a certain pretense that it is. It's a form of interpretive and literary criticism. It's part of the "humanities" training of psychiatry. It's curious though that some of the other critical theories are not further incorporated into psychiatry training.

I.e. some patients want to pay for a service to have their life experiences interpreted through some theoretic framework. This job is for historical reasons sometimes attributed to a practicing psychiatrist. I'm not sure why this is necessarily antithetical to teaching scientific psychiatry at the same time. Another example is "the great books" curriculum. I don't think Newton and Tolstoy are contradictory texts. It just seems that at the present time some psychiatrists at some point need to deal with not just the car mechanic's job, but also become a travel agent. This is especially true in New York/Boston, and less so in the Midwest. So, given that the division of labor is set up as such, wouldn't you want to have at least some training in being a travel agent as well? You make it sound a bit more ridiculous by evoking the dichotomy of astronomy vs. astrology. But the reality is the "science" of psychiatry is at the level of sociology/economics at best. And there are PLENTY of empirical demographers and economists who nevertheless are apt at making anthropological, literary and political practices that are not scientific but oriented towards opinions, beliefs and interpretations.

And furthermore, it's not true that Freud's completely untestable. The emerging field of social neuroscience is focused precisely at things like transference and empathy and try to measure it quantitatively and formulate models about them, using things like Bayesian inference etc. to describe the ways in which someone's perception may be modified by his "childhood". Knowing some psychodynamics seems to be useful in being able to define phenomena and build more accurate models in these investigations from a large body of single case observations.

I think to give you credit where credit is due, in the next 50-100 years psychiatry itself will probably split into 2 fields. MDs can probably go directly into an psychoanalytic tract (let's call it "medical humanities residency"), without being a regular psychiatry resident. But, as of right now, scientifically and clinically this is impossible, which means perhaps you still need to read some Freud, if only because your patients expect you to.

Last edited:
No. I am saying that psychiatrists with psychodynamic training (not psychoanalytic training - you appear to not understand the difference between psychoanalytic and psychodynamic, despite this having been explained numerous times on this thread) are, on average, better at understanding their patients' inner mental life. The others are not aloof or clueless, they are just perhaps a little less adept at helping their patients to feel better through talking. It's not that they never experience empathy, but that they may not spend as much time thinking about how their remarks were or were not empathic, and how this might affect their relationship with their patients. The fact is that it takes some skill to know how to help people through talking. Hopefully, we can all agree that the mind is a complex thing and that there are aspects of it that are not understandable merely through introspection or by being a "good person."

Your notion of "truly" is some sort of fantasy about perfection that seems to mirror your very devaluing stance of psychodynamics. This is what we, in the psychodynamic world, call "splitting."

Psychodynamics is psychoanalysis-lite. I see little difference, many on this forum use two terms interchangeably. If there are fundamental, not formal, differences in theory and practice I am all ears.

My point was that training in psychodynamic therapy makes no difference in the way doctors relate to patient, only injects unworthy pride into the therapist. If psychodymanically enlightened had better grasp on human psyche, there might be
1. substantially less inappropriate sexual intimacy between therapists and the patient & her /his families starting with godfather Freud. Not really

Prior Therapist-Patient Sexual Involvement Among Patients Seen by Psychologists
Kenneth S. Pope
Valerie A. Vetter

A national survey of 1,320 psychologists found that half the respondents reported assessing or treating at least one patient who had been sexually intimate with a prior therapist; a total of 958 sexual intimacy cases were reported. Most cases involved female patients; most involved intimacies prior to termination; and most involved harm to the patient. Harm occurred in at least 80% of the instances in which therapists engaged in sex with a patient after termination. Respondents reported that in about 4% of the 1,000 cases in which the issue of sexual intimacies arose, the allegations were false. http://kspope.com/sexiss/sex2.php

2. Less divorces and affairs in personal lives - not really

In the medical profession, the number of divorces varies from one
discipline to another. "After decades of following 1,118 physicians
who graduated from the Hopkins School of Medicine between 1948 and
1964, researchers found a 51 percent divorce rate for psychiatrists
and 33 percent for surgeons, rates higher than those for internists
(24 percent), pediatricians and pathologists (each 22 percent). The
study revealed a 32 percent overall physician divorce rate."
(http://www.jhu.edu/~gazette/janmar97/mar1797/briefs.html - first
article). According to this site
http://webweekly.hms.harvard.edu/archive/2001/4_9/student_scene.html -
"In some medical specialties—psychiatry, for example—divorce rates
stand at about 50 percent (from The New England Journal of Medicine as
quoted in White Coat by alum Ellen Rothman)".
Divorce rates 'high among caring professions'Mon 07 Dec 2009

Research published in the Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology correlated professions with divorce rates in an attempt to identify any prevailing trends. The findings showed that nurses have a 28 per cent chance of their marriage breaking down, while a similar rate was recorded among psychiatrists.

3. Better parenting - no evidence for that either.

4. Less greed, perhaps. Not really. Not any less than maligned Bigpharma and psychopharmacologists (pill pushers), not that there is anything wrong with it. http://www.springerlink.com/content/t44736qk034glq61/

In what way, I ask, psychoanalysts are "better at understanding their patients' inner mental life"? Analysts say that they are - anyone else?

Before we start praising we have to ask how much damage psychoanalysis inflicted on patients for which it never atoned. Volumes.

"The fact is that it takes some skill to know how to help people through talking." Then it is also true for clergy, best friends, and barmen. Hairdressers are also therapeutic. The fact is that humans must communicate with other humans and charging $200 an hour for the pleasure without any demonstrable proof that analyst's office is a superior to the confessional is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Well ladies and gents, I am bowing out of this thread. It is clear that mishavrach has no interest in learning anything new about psychodynamic psychotherapy and the discussion is not producing anything useful because he keeps presenting the same ridiculous analogies over and over (yes, bad roads do cause broken axles). Furthermore, no-one else seems swayed by his rhetoric, so I have no motivation to continue on this particular merry-go-round.

That is your prerogative. You are wrong, however, about "mishavrach having no interest in learning anything new " There was nothing new or persuasive presented in your posts.

Doc Samson's comments (let's keep referring to each other in third person) about my thoughtful and elaborate posts were mostly dismissive.

I am yet to hear a dispassionate reply to make me rethink psychoanalysis. It's easy to belittle opponent's views by calling them "ridiculous", it's much harder to present coherent, thoughtful analysis and criticism.

WADR,

Last edited:
I think mishavrach is saying some interesting things now that he has backed off from personal attacks. However he is attacking the closely held ideals of some frequent posters (myself included). Hmmm... And, he insulted a moderator.

But there were no personal attacks and I have never insulted the moderator - quote me. It's so easy to jump to wrong conclusions. I joked in a friendly banter with another member about fictional character Doc Samson that the moderator uses for his/her moniker, one can't insult a superhero.

I don't agree with mishavrach's conclusions at all--he certainly has not (and in my opinion probably cannot) substantiate his draconian conclusion about "psychoanalysis." Moreover he continues to confuse psychodynamics with psychoanalysis. Nonetheless he makes some interesting points.

I'll ask you the same question: In what way psychodynamic theory is fundamentally different from psychoanalysis?

Both have the same originator, use the same conceptual frame work and terminology, both are hypothetical, both are pseudoscientific. Show me the difference, please.

Also, as far as "life" affecting people's "brains" some people weather the difficulties of life in a mental sense very well--turning their own struggles into insightful poetry, or political movements to make changes for the betterment of humanity, whereas others go on to have flagrant cases of PTSD with only the slightest amounts of trauma. So there's a spectrum of how people respond to life. Even in the negative cases we are not talking about gross brain damage either. So it is NOT obvious that the input is "life event x" and the output is "change y" to the brain.

I couldn't agree more.

Mishavrach may have bad manners and an argument lacking in logic, in my opinion, and he ignores many people who have provided him with good information, but that doesn't mean every word out of his mouth is lacking in interesting content. I kind of like some of the things he's said.

I thought I saw a compliment hidden in this paragraph. I'll take it.

While I applaud your faith in the scientific method and agree with you that psychoanalytic theories (at least in their classic form) cannot be properly characterized as "scientific", I think the reality of both scientific investigation and clinical practice is a lot more nuanced than you make it.

From a scientific perspective, which I know quite a bit about, as someone who participated actively in the Kandel linage, the cutting edge neuroscience at the circuitry and systems level are only BEGINNING to address these complicated issues in causality. Yes, neurons cause behavior. But the precise algorithm in which the activity of circuitry generates a predictable pattern of behavior is pretty much unknown. We know roughly how the primary visual system works. Roughly how parietal attention works. Roughly how frontal eye fields control gaze. But we can't predict the pattern of gaze in any individual. The bottleneck is multifold, both in terms of the experimental techniques--the inability to record from a large number of neurons, the lack of ability to manipulate them--and in theoretical issues--mathematics describing complex chaotic systems such as neural networks, is really not very mature, and even the statistical and analytic toolbox for manipulating multineuronal signal is evolving.

The bottomline is, scientifically we don't know how to approach large sized, high dimensional, longitudinal data, especially psychiatric data. The timeline to make psychiatry a bottom-up field like cardiology might be hundreds of years. The possible machines that are fast enough and have enough storage to process genomic data, for instance, may not emerge for another century.

This is not to say we can't find some very useful causal relationships in very narrow domains with neural imaging, invasive recording, intervention, drugs, etc. But I think it's not fair to say that the current neurobiologic understanding of the brain is sufficient to explain the majority of mental phenomena, either because of a lack of data, or because a lack of properly delineated theory.

The best hope of a scientific basis of psychiatry, therefore, is something that's "evidence based". I.e. a top down approach of science where often the mechanism isn't known but practical results come from statistical analysis of clinical data. This approach has obvious pitfalls, but so far seems to be the core of training in psychiatry and medicine. Many of these also have some rudimentary form of mechanistic correlate, which then can be collated under the umbrella of "biologic psychiatry", or in Tom Insel's words "clinical neuroscience."

The problem that is psychiatry seems to be unique in that it's not JUST a science. Psychiatry is a discipline that crosses between scientific and narrative in scope. It doesn't matter how well we understand the pathophysiology of schizophrenia, individual experience of it, if not necessarily relevant to practice, is nevertheless interesting and often what motivates the individual practitioner. What I'm saying is that the "psychodynamic therapist" isn't really treating anything--though perhaps there is a certain pretense that it is. It's a form of interpretive and literary criticism. It's part of the "humanities" training of psychiatry. It's curious though that some of the other critical theories are not further incorporated into psychiatry training.

I.e. some patients want to pay for a service to have their life experiences interpreted through some theoretic framework. This job is for historical reasons sometimes attributed to a practicing psychiatrist. I'm not sure why this is necessarily antithetical to teaching scientific psychiatry at the same time. Another example is "the great books" curriculum. I don't think Newton and Tolstoy are contradictory texts. It just seems that at the present time some psychiatrists at some point need to deal with not just the car mechanic's job, but also become a travel agent. This is especially true in New York/Boston, and less so in the Midwest. So, given that the division of labor is set up as such, wouldn't you want to have at least some training in being a travel agent as well? You make it sound a bit more ridiculous by evoking the dichotomy of astronomy vs. astrology. But the reality is the "science" of psychiatry is at the level of sociology/economics at best. And there are PLENTY of empirical demographers and economists who nevertheless are apt at making anthropological, literary and political practices that are not scientific but oriented towards opinions, beliefs and interpretations.

And furthermore, it's not true that Freud's completely untestable. The emerging field of social neuroscience is focused precisely at things like transference and empathy and try to measure it quantitatively and formulate models about them, using things like Bayesian inference etc. to describe the ways in which someone's perception may be modified by his "childhood". Knowing some psychodynamics seems to be useful in being able to define phenomena and build more accurate models in these investigations from a large body of single case observations.

I think to give you credit where credit is due, in the next 50-100 years psychiatry itself will probably split into 2 fields. MDs can probably go directly into an psychoanalytic tract (let's call it "medical humanities residency"), without being a regular psychiatry resident. But, as of right now, scientifically and clinically this is impossible, which means perhaps you still need to read some Freud, if only because your patients expect you to.

I enjoyed your post and appreciate your comments.

I agree, we can and should put Freudian hypothesis to test and scrutinize it in the same manner as we do other therapeutic interventions. That has not been systematically done for a number of reasons, but mainly because of resistance of psychodynamic community. In fact, the very nature of psychoanalysis resists such an approach. As a result we offer general public untested, expensive, and potentially harmful intervention. Imagine a pharmaceutical product or medical device entering marketplace on testimony alone.

I might accept your position that psychiatry "crosses between scientific and narrative in scope" presently, but if it is a field of treating ailments, therapeutic tools must be compared with other methods for effectiveness, affordability, convenience, universality, transcultural application, length, etc. etc. etc. Why should we exempt psychodynamic psychotherapy?

Newton and Tolstoy are not contradictory texts but not complimentary either when it comes to either physics or ascetic morality. In psychiatry, using polar methods to treat the same conditions inevitably lead to collision.

I'll refrain from bashing psychoanalysis any longer on this forum , I've done enough damage already, the moderator got tired and is bowing out. I will try, however, to present a brief psychobiological model of mental disorders in a few days. It may not be "sufficient to explain the majority of mental phenomena" but, IMO, does much better practical job than proposed DSM.

Last edited:
I might accept your position that psychiatry "crosses between scientific and narrative in scope" presently, but if it is a field of treating ailments, therapeutic tools must be compared with other methods for effectiveness, affordability, convenience, universality, transcultural application, length, etc. etc. etc. Why should we exempt psychodynamic psychotherapy?

Who says psychodynamic psychotherapy is exempted from being studied scientifically? Take a look here:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/265

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/149/2/151

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/300/13/1551

Note that these are not obscure psychoanalytic journals. I think in reading these studies you will realize that the problem is not that psychodynamic psychotherapists are conspiring to "resist" scrutiny, as you suggest. Rather, psychodynamic psychotherapy is difficult to study because of the question of the appropriate control condition.

Who says psychodynamic psychotherapy is exempted from being studied scientifically? Take a look here:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/265

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/149/2/151

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/300/13/1551

Note that these are not obscure psychoanalytic journals. I think in reading these studies you will realize that the problem is not that psychodynamic psychotherapists are conspiring to "resist" scrutiny, as you suggest. Rather, psychodynamic psychotherapy is difficult to study because of the question of the appropriate control condition.

That won't do for two reasons.

I can't effectively argue the abstracts. I did look, however, at the links and found no confirmation of psychodynamic therapy viability for treatment but of a handful of cyclical, time-limited disorders, not major, most prevalent diseases. Standard DBPC protocol wasn't followed. Not able to study is equivalent, in my view, to resisting scrutiny.

Take for example praised outcome of the first cited study: "those receiving panic-focused psychodynamic psychotherapy were significantly more likely to respond at treatment termination (73% versus 39%)" and compare it with a medication study that must show that one a pill had 40% more symptoms FREE patients for one year than another pill or placebo.

Meta-analysis (second and third studies) is a clever statistical way to demonstrate anything that the statistician chooses to demonstrate. Has no clinical relevance. There was a recent one demonstrating that antidepressants meta-analytically speaking are not any better than placebo.

Studies deserve a separate thread and psychiatric studies can use a separate forum, but that would be outside the scope of this discussion. As Benjamin Disraeli might have quipped: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Second, a sentiment was expressed on this forum not to debate psychoanalysis/psychodynamics. I am leaning toward that even if there is a lot more to say. As with other closely held beliefs, the discussion generates unsavory emotions to the detriment of objective analysis.

Last edited:
No, you don't, but I will. Continuing with my previous analogy, now you are blaming bad roads for the broken axle. When an asian-american patient comes to you with obesity, diabetes, CAD, and DVT, are you going to treat the patient or tell her that if stayed in her native land, none of this would have happened. First, is that true? Second, is it why she came to your office? Too late for her to undo the damage. Recommending changing diet and exercises? She is 65, has a bad knee and SOB. When a psychiatric patient comes to a medical doctor (psychiatrist) doctor's job is to treat, not to look for something that happened 45 years ago when the patient was a little girl.

I am blaming bad roads for a broken axle? First of all, with the exception of metal fatigue, an axle does not have the capacity to change in structure and function over time. Unlike a human, it cannot increase its aerobic capacity, change its BMR, energy usage proclivities, insulin sensitivity, cortisol profiles, GH and sex hormone production, bone density, immunologic reactivity, etc. in response to its environment and the chosen interaction with it. The axle in my car cannot make informed choices about diet, exercise, and stress management that will produce concordant changes in both physiology and anatomy. The axle geometry in my mustang will not change to a more optimal one no matter how much I wish it would, short of ripping it out, and putting in a GR-40 kit. But a person's posture can certainly change.

I don't like to give up on patients. And I don't like patients to give up on themselves. Sure a 65 year old with a bad knee and SOB is unlikely to reverse her CHD or DM2, but she can certainly improve her cardiopulmonary function, perhaps to the point that SOB is no longer a problem. Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation is after all one of the most effective tools in improving cardiac function in those with CHD and CHF. And perhaps with improved attention to diet and exercise she will lose enough weight to find that the knee pain is decidedly easier to live with, can help her avoid opiates, and perhaps avoid the long recovery associated with knee replacement. That selfsame attention to diet and exercise will likely improve her A1c effectively and help her stay on monotherapy longer. It can also prevent her from losing toes, going blind, or needing dialysis for the rest of her life.

Sure, she will need medical treatment. Medical management of her cholesterol, fluid status, and A1c will be vital for her. And she may require any of a range of interventions in order to maintain mobility and functionality. But arguing that harnessing the human body's capacity for change in order for her to mitigate the damage to her body and improve her quality of life is just plain ridiculous.

And as a physician researcher, my job is not only to treat, but also to improve understanding of the human body in health and disease and, IMO, first and foremost, to stress primary and secondary prevention. If I can learn how to help my patients and the world at large avoid the debility of disease, it is in everyones' best interest to do so. The 65 year old lady may always have a long list of conditions on her PMH, but if we can educate her on the controllable etiologic factors, perhaps she can help her daughters and grandfathers avoid her fate.

Probably just wasting my time wanting people to actually be healthier rather than relying on a laundry list of meds to do the job for them.

Brain changes, but let's not equate change with psychopathology, mental disorders, madness, insanity... should I continue? Life is not pathological unless we confuse normal changes with psychogenesis.

Once again, "normalizing" changes are not treatment and psychodynamic psychotherapists were as much bewildered (while rejoicing) about the meaning of these unpredictable and inconsistent changes. These changes are meaningless as psychoanalysis is not replicable.
So the biological psychiatrist is now casting doubt on biological psychiatry. That is just wonderful. Maybe you have not read this literature much, but let me make it clear. There are clear changes in brain activity seen in the depressed population on fMRI, SPECT, and PET that are not witnessed in the healthy population. Placebo responders show different patterns of activation than those at baseline, and placebo response is different from treatment. Treatment with medication or with psychotherapy result in patterns of activation similar to those of healthy controls. This has also been shown to be the case for psychodynamic psychotherapies.

There are biological changes associated with a disease, and biological changes associated with treatment discrete from those seen with placebo. These biological changes result in the restoration of an activation pattern of the brain similar to that of healthy controls.

You raise the point of the cyclical nature of MDD, which is funny, as I think that this aspect of MDD is where psychotherapies and behavioral techniques really shine. As we both know from the evidence, this is one of the reasons why antidepressants must be taken for quite some time after symptoms resolve. Otherwise, they will simply relapse within a few months of discontinuing medication. SSRIs result in the normalization of brain function as measured in several different ways, including hippocampal and PFC function as well as factors viewed at the level of the individual neurons involved in serotonergic synapses such as serotonin transporter functioning and receptor regulation. Take away the SSRI, and the patient begins to decline back in to depression, with concordant pathological changes. On the other hand time-limited psychotherapies only last from 8 to 16 weeks, far less than the 2y with antidepressants. But, in long-term followup we see a pattern quite different from the waning effect sizes seen in long-term followup of patients on antidepressants, even in patients who remain on their SSRI. Instead, we see a stable or even increasing effect size long after the therapy is concluded. This has been replicated in many studies, by the way. While what proceeds is inferential, all theorizing ultimately is.

What I can conclude from this well-demonstrated pattern is that while SSRIs may return the depressed patient to a pattern more consistent with healthy brain function, over time, underlying pathologic processes overcome the ability of the SSRI to maintain normal functioning. Contrast this with psychotherapy which also improves brain function profiles in the depressed, which has a long-term maintained, or even improving effect, despite cessation of the active therapy. This implies a direct interference with the underlying pathological process, rather than simply healing the consequences thereof.

Again, this compares favorably with more advanced models of the pathogenesis of diabetes. While an insulin sensitizer alone may decrease A1c for a time, if dietary and exercise factors are not changed, the patient's glucose control will continue to get worse, and over time higher doses and more medication will be needed to maintain adequate glucose control due to continuing worsening in insulin resistance. On the other hand, if early enough in diagnosis, a patient embarks on a brief but high intensity program of instructed evidence-based nutrition and exercise protocols and education, they may completely reverse their insulin resistance, and maintain this effect long after the brief intervention is concluded.

You can raise all sorts of niggling little arguments against such evidence. But ultimately you can with ALL scientific discourse. But the overarching point that is that the neurobiological correlates of disease and treatment are similar whether one looks at psychotherapy or 'biological' treatment. If psychotherapy results in changes to the biology of the brain that correlate to resolution of symptoms, and medications do the same, how exactly can it be argued that medication is 'biological' but psychotherapy is not?

If a psychoanalyst "treats" a patient with depression and six months later determines that she is cured (after all, depression is a cyclical disorder) how would that help her identical twin sister who walked into another analyst's office across town? If we compare formulations, what are the chances that they are even remotely close? These are Achilles heels of psychoanalysis: behind close doors; testimonials, not verifiable, not falsifiable (Popper's definition of pseudoscience), not replicable, self-serving (success is always credited to the therapist, but failure is the patient's fault).
I actually won't argue with much of this. As you and I agree on, based on your earlier remarks, psychodynamic psychotherapy and psychoanalysis lie on a continuum with a common underlying model. Psychodynamic psychotherapies have been manualized, and studies have been done with as rigorous attention to scientific method as has been achieved with CBT.

The truth is, life is messy. Thought is messy. The experience of mental illness is messy. It turns out that in fact, BOLD changes on MRI are not the greatest thing since sliced bread, which has nearly brought many a neuro-imager to his knees with thoughts of seppuku. The biochemical changes seen in the mentally ill turn out to not be as cut and dried as bench researchers had hoped, with many different mechanisms having been elucidated, none present in ALL who suffer from any mental illness. This makes science harder to do and makes conclusions about such issues necessarily a little less certain. But not so uncertain we should throw up our hands and walk away. One of the things that Popper paid little attention to, but something that people from the ancient Hindus to modern physicists have thought about in great detail is the fundamental uncertainty of truth and knowledge. One of the dangers of science is that it is practiced by individuals who are biased. To live and breathe is to hold a bias. Avoiding it is impossible; it can only be acknowledged. One of the dangers of bias is ignoring the uncertainties inherent in the evidence for one's position, while highlighting the uncertainties of the opposite position.

I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and I am grateful for my strong education in matters that were classically of high import to scientists, such as the philosophical concerns addressed above. There continues to be a lot of uncertainty in all aspects of brain science, especially where it concerns mental health.

However, I do believe that we can attempt to build more robust theories of mental health and illness by incorporating the broad array of evidence at hand. Which is something that we as a profession have been terrible about.

I think if you substitute the word "evolution" for "life" we might agree on something after all. Looking at psychiatric disorders from evolutionary perspective, one would conclude that, indeed, we are biologically determined to get sick.
The problem with this thought is that it doesn't make any sense from an evolutionary perspective. As most of us acknowledge, mental illness can be devastating. Why would evolution select for something that makes it harder for you to think, harder for you to respond, harder to stand up in the face of the life-threatening world of our ancestors? Answer: it wouldn't. And mental illness most often begins to rear its ugly head at precisely the worst time, evolutionarily speaking. Our adolescent and reproductive years. Rates of mental illness are also arguably increasing, as it is hard to fully explain the demographic changes seen in rates of mental illness solely on the basis of improved detection. For a trait to increase rapidly in just a few generations requires a correspondingly large selection pressure in its favor. Now what kind of selective benefit would accrue to the mentally ill that they would have so many more children than others to account for such changes. Depending on what range of realistic assumptions of the model, the rate at which those with genetics that predispose them to mental illness reproduce is anywhere from 1.5 to 8x the time of the general population. And that is being generous when inputting heritability characteristics into the model.

On the other hand, one of the lessons of evolution is that traits and genetics are adaptive in the context in which they evolved and that when placed in a different context may be maladaptive. A dolphin is the most supremely well adapted mammal to a life in the sea. Put it in the desert and it doesn't exactly do well. One of the interesting facets of human evolution is that our gigantic and flexible brains have allowed us to substantially change our ecologies, patterns of development, and interaction with the environment without requiring a concurrent change in basic biology. This coupled to the fact that selection pressures have been severely reduced means that there is not a lot of inherent, structural, and genetic biological change to go along with the huge changes in how we live.

I mean, one need only look at Nariokotome Boy, 1.8 million years ago with a cranial capacity about 40% of ours, to see how precious few changes have been wrought between this hominin whose 'culture' consisted of a slight refinement in the nut-cracking Chimpanzee, and the modern human. It's really quite a profound experience to realize this.

"we are biologically determined to get sick," is one of the silliest ideas on the planet. We are biologically determined to age, and to suffer the slings and arrows of degenerative disease, which mostly (at least in the past) affects us after our reproductive years have passed and is thus evolutionarily neutral. But we are not biologically determined to get sick during the most productive and dynamic years of our lives. This argument, which I hear upsettingly frequently, belies the pathetic nature of evolution education in biomedical sciences.
=======================================================

You claim life is not pathological, and that neither are the changes in the body associated with it. And yet how many medical disorders are determined in large part by life and the change associated with? CHD, DM2, osteoarthritis and spinal disease, dementia, cancer, HTN, renal disease, osteoporosis, to name a few. The list is long, and it includes some of the most prevalent and debilitating diseases we suffer from. But it somehow does not apply to the brain? The most mutable and exquisitely responsive structure in the human body? That is quite a leap.

I readily admit that it is also still quite a leap from what we know about the brain to what we know about thoughts and experiences. It's a problem for both 'biological' psychiatrists as well as those with a more psychotherapeutic and especially for those with a psychodynamic orientation. But what we do know about the brain is that its function is a result of complex interactions between genes, developmental-environmental interaction, and experience itself. We know that every time a synapse fires, the very structure and function of brain pathways change. We know that brain pathways and cells themselves change in a multitude of ways including changes in resting potentials, number and latency of channels, neurotransmitter production, transporter protein function, and a range of glial changes that we are just now starting to understand. We know that many if not all of these structures and functions are affected to one degree or another in a range of mental illnesses. We know that both medication and psychotherapy can result in normalization, or at least prevention of further pathological changes in structure and function.

But unlike medication, psychotherapy seeks to change the very way the brain functions in and of itself by manipulating its higher levels of function. While much remains to be understood in how it may exert these beneficial effects, strong, if limited, evidence exists for its ability to do so at every level of analysis at which the brain can be studied, from behavior and symptoms, down to biochemicals.

With a better understanding of the link between brain physiology, thought, experience, and psychotherapy will hopefully come a way to limit the depredations of genetic load of psychiatric disease, and prevent the pathological changes that lead to mental illness in the first place.

--Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished--

Last edited: