Weak Applicant, what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throawayophtho2017

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Feeling pretty awful about my shots at ophtho. 230/235/pass. Currently on a year off for research. Should have good letters (including my PD) but i definitely can't ignore my subpar scores for ophtho. I love this field, and came to medical school to pursue ophtho and now things are looking quite grim. What can I do to increase my chances of having a shot at the match? I plan on applying to every program. Thoughts on doing a research fellowship if I fail to match?

Members don't see this ad.

As a member of the adcom this year several applications crossed my desk w scores in high 220s. While it's not ideal, I think it's still doable to match w a 230. Especially if I met the applicant at their audition rotation or if they had a nice Ophtho centric CV showing definite interest.

Make sure to publish what you can during your year off. Whether it's case reports, book chapter, review. Even if it's not original research people like it all. Go to small meetings if possible and network a bit. Do a few away rotations. Work very hard. Present a case at grand rounds if offered. Research fellowship doesn't seem helpful in your case since you're doing that now.

Dont give up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
As a member of the adcom this year several applications crossed my desk w scores in high 220s. While it's not ideal, I think it's still doable to match w a 230. Especially if I met the applicant at their audition rotation or if they had a nice Ophtho centric CV showing definite interest.

Make sure to publish what you can during your year off. Whether it's case reports, book chapter, review. Even if it's not original research people like it all. Go to small meetings if possible and network a bit. Do a few away rotations. Work very hard. Present a case at grand rounds if offered. Research fellowship doesn't seem helpful in your case since you're doing that now.

Dont give up.

Following up on this Dr. Zeke to let you know that I successfully matched into ophtho!!! The support and optimism from SDN really helped me to push forward. It was a stressful journey, but I couldn't be any happier now. I'm excited that there are so many wonderful people in this field. :)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Feeling pretty awful about my shots at ophtho. 230/235/pass. Currently on a year off for research. Should have good letters (including my PD) but i definitely can't ignore my subpar scores for ophtho. I love this field, and came to medical school to pursue ophtho and now things are looking quite grim. What can I do to increase my chances of having a shot at the match? I plan on applying to every program. Thoughts on doing a research fellowship if I fail to match?

I know of many people who have had multiple offers of interview and have successfully matched with similar stats. Yes, they are below the average of matched applicants. But you can make it up by being excellent in other areas such as research and having good letters. Research fellowship is a great way to help with those two things.

This is very encouraging to read as someone who has significant ophtho research experience but just took Step 1 and feels fairly demoralized right now lol. And for future readers of this thread, make connections with your school's department early! They have been a great source of support and counsel for me the past two years.

Reactions: 1 user