weak stomach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xena35o

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in becoming a physical therapist, but I'm only in the beginning phases of looking into it as a career (haven't shadowed, don't have any of the hard sciency prereqs, etc.). But one thing that scares me is that I get grossed out easily! From what I understand, I'll have to spend plenty of time in anatomy classes with cadavers. But people have to do a lot of hard things in school, so I would hope that I could get through it and maybe even become desensitized. Have you or anybody you know become a physical therapist despite this issue?

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this somewhat goofy question!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not a silly question!

I had no issue in cadaver lab, mainly because I was so engrossed in it that it wasn't an issue (the coolness/interesting factor quickly takes over). We had a few people who would have to sit down on occasion, and had a few people pass out (oddly enough not until third trimester after we had finished with the cadavers and were just looking at/reviewing certain things on the spine, which was the first lab we had in the fall). Our prof says that every year there's a few fainters, sometimes people have to leave the room to get air, etc. Just tell your lab mates you're worried about it, so if you sit down or have to leave the room they know to not freak out, but also to check on you if necessary.

I'm fine with blood and all that - my main issue is with vomit. I have a huge case of emetophobia, both doing it myself and seeing others/being around others who are. It's not so much an issue except in acute care with pain killers...when I was observing I had to leave the room when a patient started throwing up. I asked a CI on these forums if that would be an issue when I do my first clinical in a hospital, and she said to let my CI know. She said she had had other people with that issue, but that you do get desensitized to it some respect, and more importantly when these people are in your care your mothering (or fathering) instinct takes over and you want to help them, just like if you had kids and they're sick. I still don't buy that, but then again I haven't been in that place :p

Our profs also said that since PTs are the first to get patients "up and moving" after procedures/illnesses, etc., and many of the meds they're on makes patients constipated, sometimes we can get them "moving" too much, so that can be something we have to deal with etc.

I guess the big picture is if you have a weak stomach, acute care is probably not the place for you. But you'll only have to do a 6-8 week clinical there (depending on your program and if you can get it for your shortest clinical), and then you don't need to worry about it anymore...a weak stomach wouldn't be an issue in outpatient ortho, unless you have a patient with a crazy injury, or you go to observe a surgery (which no one will make you do - although I've done it and it's really awesome).

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, DancerFutureDPT! It makes me feel better that other people with this same issue have successfully gotten through these classes :) I'm not sure about the parenting instinct either, but I can understand getting desensitized.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about blood? I hate needles and blood being drawn it makes me super faint. While doing my observation hours even, I felt faint whenever patients would get injections or blood drawn. Will this make my life in PT school very miserable? I am trying so hard to get over it, but the blood is what gets to me! Any tips? Thanks!

Don't worry! A lot of people struggle with this! You do have to spend a lot of time with cadavers, as well as with ill people and with people that have wounds. A lot of people don't realize that in PT school you do learn wound care, so you will be dealing with blood to some extent. You will just learn to deal with catheters, vomit, and open wounds.

The good news is through your academic career you will be exposed to these things slowly. Everyone else will be going through what you are going through. My first few days in cadaver lab people were uncomfortable, but you become so engrossed in the lab that you totally forget that you were ever uncomfortable!

If after school you are still bothered by these things, you could just chose a setting where you are less likely to be exposed.

I am really needlephobic; I could never give someone a shot or take blood and I hate getting shots/bloodwork done... However, I recently had to get blood work for PT school and then my thyroid came back weird, so I had to get blood work again so I'm really trying to be more comfortable with it since I may have to deal with this for the rest of my life.

ANYWAY- I was terrified before my first cad lab... I thought I'd pass out/be ill/etc and I found a website (that I wish I had saved the link) that really helped with being afraid/what to do/expect and other peoples' experiences.

Some people find it easier to separate the person from the cadaver and not think about the cadaver as a person and just look at it in a purely scientific way and other people find it more comforting to know about their life/family/history. You'll just need to to figure out what type of person you are and then go with it!

It definitely sounds like there is a way to get through it! Yes I can't do needles and blood drawing nor can I watch someone else get it done. Cadavers in undergrad never bothered me at all for some reason though! I look forward to that part it's just a downer that the hospital is looking like something I dread rather then being excited! If any body has tips on coping or any online resources I would love to hear/see them! Thanks everyone

Cadavers are definitely something that you get used to. You will become desensitized very quickly!

Personally, I'm one of those people that struggle with gruesome injuries, open wounds, burns, etc. I was very close to passing out in one of my first shadowing experiences as an undergrad lol. It's gotten easier over time, but there are definitely those patients that make my stomach turn. I just learned to take a deep breath and focus on what I was doing.

You will be okay :)

Thanks for the encouragement! It's comforting to know that other people with the same types of issues have managed to overcome them. :)