Weakness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaLev

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The quick and dirty:
step I 240, step II 265
All A's in clerkships minus Family, research, 2 minor pubs, etc
Highest recommendation on MSPE

HOWEVER-->did ZERO away electives, coming from a small, private school in midwest. Applied for them, but they were all full and didn't want to continually give out $100 to hope for a spot.

Am interested in the best, speciffically in NYC and Boston

Are my lack of aways and/or any "perceived" connections to these cities going to hurt me come interview/match time?

Members don't see this ad.

The quick and dirty:
step I 240, step II 265
All A's in clerkships minus Family, research, 2 minor pubs, etc
Highest recommendation on MSPE

HOWEVER-->did ZERO away electives, coming from a small, private school in midwest. Applied for them, but they were all full and didn't want to continually give out $100 to hope for a spot.

Am interested in the best, speciffically in NYC and Boston

Are my lack of aways and/or any "perceived" connections to these cities going to hurt me come interview/match time?

Away rotations aren't really all that helpful in my opinion. Your scores are good enough. I think your rate limiting step will possibly be the impression of your medical school, and lack of AOA. I think you got a good shot at the best for interviews.

I agree with JDH71. I think away rotations to improve your chances to match are a sucker bet. More importantly, at this point, there is nothing to be done about it. Seems like you are a strong candidate and you will have a good chance to get interviews in Boston and NYC. Still a bit of a crapshoot coming from a "small, private school in midwest" but I bet you'll do well. try to find faculty at your school who have connections to the places where you want to interview. they can often help you.

Thx for the feedback. Senior AOA possible-we'll see.

school has matched recently at BIDMC, Mt Sinai, Mass Gen (primary care track). I wouldn't mind being a trend setter.