Weaknesses in post-interview LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedWonk

高飛車
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing an LOI to one of my top choices and I am considering including a fuller explanation of potential weaknesses in my app. They already invited me to an interview (I interviewed on their first interview day), but the interview was an MMI, and I didn't really get to address why specifically I want to go to that school. The secondary also didn't really give the opportunity to answer "Why this school?", but it did allow an explanation for any grades below a B. I explained them, but they had a cap of how many words I could use and I felt like my explanation was a bit inadequate.

Basically, I feel like telling them that my one failing grade, one random withdrawal (in a different year), and three Cs don't reflect who I am now, and that I feel I demonstrated that over the past 8 to 10 years I have developed the maturity and intellectual capacity to tackle rigorous science coursework as evidenced by my post-bacc and MCAT. The thing is, though, I feel hesitant to include this since they clearly liked me enough to interview me, but I worry that these things would ultimately prevent me from getting the acceptance without giving a fuller explanation.

The other thing I wanted to address was lack of research. Basically I was a humanities major and don't like basic science research, and the vast majority of opportunities available were basic science research. I would like to do clinical research as a med student, and would like to express this, but I also hesitate to draw their eyes toward a potential weakness.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see any advantage to highlighting your weaknesses unprompted. I'd write a letter that is 100% positive--updates and why that school, nothing else. Definitely don't apologize for not having research, as it isn't at all mandatory.

No way, no how, should you mention weaknesses. An LOI, like a personal statement, is marketing. Sell your narrative and declare your undying love.

Reactions: 1 users