Weaning from Butrans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJPAIN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a patient who has been on Butrans 5mcg/hr for the last 3-4 months. Pain is now resolving as lower extremity lesions are almost healed. Time for Butrans to exit. First time I’m looking to stop Butrans. Looking for experience of others. At this dose just stop? Peel off half of the backing and guesstimate 2.5mcg prior to stopping? My only other experience with Buprenorphine weaning is with Suboxone which is a freaking nightmare; though I understand that is a much larger dose.

Members don't see this ad.

1-2 tramadol every few days for break through pain for a week and then stop

I have a patient who has been on Butrans 5mcg/hr for the last 3-4 months. Pain is now resolving as lower extremity lesions are almost healed. Time for Butrans to exit. First time I’m looking to stop Butrans. Looking for experience of others. At this dose just stop? Peel off half of the backing and guesstimate 2.5mcg prior to stopping? My only other experience with Buprenorphine weaning is with Suboxone which is a freaking nightmare; though I understand that is a much larger dose.

just stop it. No issues really

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're on the lowest dose. I wouldn't mess around with trying to decrease the effective surface area.

Have them leave it on past the 7 days and provide some moral support. It'll wean itself slowly from the fat depot. You can provide some clonidine but please don't switch to another opioid agent here. They'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users