Wearable Artificial Kidney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rights4patients

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently i was looking up dialysis and that what i got,
if you have more info about wearable kidneys let me know.

2005-07-25 / 10:23 GMT
A breakthrough in Wearable Artificial Kidney

Dr. Mohammed Nabil Aboras and Dr. Issa Kawalit have developed a working prototype of a Wearable Artificial Kidney. The new design was made to over come problems found in previous attempts. According to them, this technique will provide continuous hemodialysis for the patients with End Stage Renal Disease, with mobility and independence, hence improved quality of life.

Since the early seventies, scientists has been actively promoting and working on a wearable artificial kidney for continuous dialysis. Such a kidney could allow the patient to have a more normal life style, eliminate treatment scheduling, and provide stable chemistries. Two partially successful wearable kidneys based upon hemofiltration have been devised. One required the patient to drink a liter of dialysate every hour to replace ultra filtrate loss, and the other regenerated the ultra filtrate with a REDY sorbent cartridge. Both had drawbacks, resulting in the patient shifting back to regular intermittent hemodialysis.
http://www.pt-rights.org/en/news_details.php?id=9

Members don't see this ad.