Wearing the indirect with glasses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm about a -2D myope OU and never wear glasses or contacts because of discomfort,etc...I figure everything I do is near work so its never been a huge issue. Working at the slit lamp is no problem but I'm wondering if I'm putting myself at a disadvantage when using the indirect without glasses or contacts. I majorly suck at Optics so to all you optics whizzes out there - will wearing -2D glasses/contacts enhance my viewing through the indirect ophthalmoscope or will it not really make that much of a difference??

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I'm about a -2D myope OU and never wear glasses or contacts because of discomfort,etc...I figure everything I do is near work so its never been a huge issue. Working at the slit lamp is no problem but I'm wondering if I'm putting myself at a disadvantage when using the indirect without glasses or contacts. I majorly suck at Optics so to all you optics whizzes out there - will wearing -2D glasses/contacts enhance my viewing through the indirect ophthalmoscope or will it not really make that much of a difference??

Some indirects are compensated at the eyepieces (not adjustable, though). Those that are glazed, the portable lightweight spectacle models, can have add compensated in the attached spectacles/inserts. You wouldn't need that.

As long as you don't have any significant astigmatism or anisometropia, you will be fine without glasses with your Rx.