Wearing the indirect with glasses

Started by golgi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

golgi

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so I'm about a -2D myope OU and never wear glasses or contacts because of discomfort,etc...I figure everything I do is near work so its never been a huge issue. Working at the slit lamp is no problem but I'm wondering if I'm putting myself at a disadvantage when using the indirect without glasses or contacts. I majorly suck at Optics so to all you optics whizzes out there - will wearing -2D glasses/contacts enhance my viewing through the indirect ophthalmoscope or will it not really make that much of a difference??
 
Ok so I'm about a -2D myope OU and never wear glasses or contacts because of discomfort,etc...I figure everything I do is near work so its never been a huge issue. Working at the slit lamp is no problem but I'm wondering if I'm putting myself at a disadvantage when using the indirect without glasses or contacts. I majorly suck at Optics so to all you optics whizzes out there - will wearing -2D glasses/contacts enhance my viewing through the indirect ophthalmoscope or will it not really make that much of a difference??

Some indirects are compensated at the eyepieces (not adjustable, though). Those that are glazed, the portable lightweight spectacle models, can have add compensated in the attached spectacles/inserts. You wouldn't need that.

As long as you don't have any significant astigmatism or anisometropia, you will be fine without glasses with your Rx.