Website for Sending in Electronic Rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys know of any websites that would allow doctors to send an electronic prescription for a patient? CA has this new law that all prescriptions (with limited exceptions) must be sent electronically.

This obviously isn't for my work. I want to write some abx for my son and I used to just call it in, now I have to do it electronically. I found one website somewhere and I think it was $45/month. That isn't worth it...I was hoping there was something where I pay each time I send an Rx.

Members don't see this ad.

I use an app on my phone called iprescribe. It may be connected somehow to your Doximity profile (even if you haven’t set up a Doximity profile, you likely have one as they aggressively mined publicly available information to create profiles and maximize users).
Iprescribe is totally free, and allows you to create patients and electronically prescribe medications for them. I especially like it because it prevents me from having to talk to someone or leave a voicemail with the Rx info for the pharmacist.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I use an app on my phone called iprescribe. It may be connected somehow to your Doximity profile (even if you haven’t set up a Doximity profile, you likely have one as they aggressively mined publicly available information to create profiles and maximize users).
Iprescribe is totally free, and allows you to create patients and electronically prescribe medications for them. I especially like it because it prevents me from having to talk to someone or leave a voicemail with the Rx info for the pharmacist.

Oooohhhhh potential!

What are the consequences of setting up a Doximity profile? I doubt I ever set one up. I believe they probably have all my information, bank accounts, ex-girlfriends names, and probably have me by the balls. I'm a little fearful of setting up a doximity profile, but I will if I can somehow sequester that profile information away from everything else.

Is it just as easy as making another email account and using that?

My state has similar laws, and while I don't have time right now to look up the particulars of CA, but one time I called a local pharmacist and basically said, "Look, I know we're supposed to send things electronically, is there any issue if I want to send in simple stuff like abx, steroids, or nausea meds?" and they said no, they really only care if it's controlled substances. So you might have luck just talking to a pharmacist and asking.

Reactions: 2 users
My state has similar laws, and while I don't have time right now to look up the particulars of CA, but one time I called a local pharmacist and basically said, "Look, I know we're supposed to send things electronically, is there any issue if I want to send in simple stuff like abx, steroids, or nausea meds?" and they said no, they really only care if it's controlled substances. So you might have luck just talking to a pharmacist and asking.

I went to a pharmacy like 2 months ago. I wanted some clobetasol for my kid who had a terrible contact dermatitis rash. I walked up to a RiteAid Pharmacy and said "I'm a doctor can I give you a prescription right here and I'll wait to pick it up?" The pharmacist (or the tech) looked at me in aghast and said "I've never had this request before." Lots of mumbling in the background and the pharmacist came up to me, who looked like she was 8 years old and quipped "we need an electronic prescription. we only do electronic prescriptions." I said it's for a steroid cream, it's nothing unusual. She just stared at me for 10 seconds, like she didn't believe me and said again "we only do electronic prescriptions." So f'ing frustrating.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Someone lobbied for pharmacists to make their job easier too. Man we're in the wrong field.

Reactions: 3 users
I went to a pharmacy like 2 months ago. I wanted some clobetasol for my kid who had a terrible contact dermatitis rash. I walked up to a RiteAid Pharmacy and said "I'm a doctor can I give you a prescription right here and I'll wait to pick it up?" The pharmacist (or the tech) looked at me in aghast and said "I've never had this request before." Lots of mumbling in the background and the pharmacist came up to me, who looked like she was 8 years old and quipped "we need an electronic prescription. we only do electronic prescriptions." I said it's for a steroid cream, it's nothing unusual. She just stared at me for 10 seconds, like she didn't believe me and said again "we only do electronic prescriptions." So f'ing frustrating.
You should ask them what they'll do when the computers are down.

I've gotten insulin in OH on my PA license when I forgot an extra when my pen ran out. NY (where it went "electronic only HURR DURR" about 5 years ago), my pharmacy takes verbals without an issue. At all.

Reactions: 1 users
Most pharmacies in tx will take verbal/call in prescriptions, unless it’s narcotics of course, for which electronic prescriptions are mandatory state law.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm setting it up now. I downloaded the app and just created an iPrescribe account (not using Doximity). It wants to charge me a (one time) fee of $360. You were able to get it for free?

Last edited:
iPrescribe used to be free until like 6 months ago, now it's a subscription service. The good times of free eprescribing with this app are over :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm setting it up now. I downloaded the app and just created an iPrescribe account (not using Doximity). It wants to charge me a (one time) fee of $360. You were able to get it for free?
I got it like 3 years ago. GorillaPanic states that it was free until 6 months ago and now they charge. I have not had to pay any fees related to it thus far, and I used it last probably a month or two ago. Hopefully I’m grandfathered in, we’ll see. Sorry for the outdated info.

What are the consequences of setting up a Doximity profile? I doubt I ever set one up. I believe they probably have all my information, bank accounts, ex-girlfriends names, and probably have me by the balls. I'm a little fearful of setting up a doximity profile, but I will if I can somehow sequester that profile information away from everything else.

Is it just as easy as making another email account and using that?
I've had no issues with having a largely dormant Doximity profile. I keep it active just for the free HIPAA compliant fax number.

I use PushHealth. It was free when I signed up years ago. It does require the patient to have an email address on file and register with them as a patient. You can also order some labs through quest diagnostics.

iPrescribe website states it costs $30/month.

I know it was originally free, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

Edit: I see others have already pointed this out. Don't mind me. Carry on.

You guys know of any websites that would allow doctors to send an electronic prescription for a patient? CA has this new law that all prescriptions (with limited exceptions) must be sent electronically.

This obviously isn't for my work. I want to write some abx for my son and I used to just call it in, now I have to do it electronically. I found one website somewhere and I think it was $45/month. That isn't worth it...I was hoping there was something where I pay each time I send an Rx.
There is no law which specifically prohibits a physician from evaluating, diagnosing, treating, or prescribing controlled substances to a family member, employee or friend. However, the practice is discouraged. There are laws to consider when assessing any prescribing issues which include, but are not limited to: 1) a physician cannot prescribe without an appropriate prior exam and a medical indication for the prescription, and 2) an adequate and accurate medical record relating to the provision of services to the patient and documenting the medical need for the prescription must be created and maintained by the physician. Basically, a physician must follow the same practice/protocol for any patient in which medications are prescribed.

There is no law which specifically prohibits a physician from evaluating, diagnosing, treating, or prescribing controlled substances to a family member, employee or friend. However, the practice is discouraged. There are laws to consider when assessing any prescribing issues which include, but are not limited to: 1) a physician cannot prescribe without an appropriate prior exam and a medical indication for the prescription, and 2) an adequate and accurate medical record relating to the provision of services to the patient and documenting the medical need for the prescription must be created and maintained by the physician. Basically, a physician must follow the same practice/protocol for any patient in which medications are prescribed.

This is a shockingly untrue statement.