Wedge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PpfSuxTube

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any good links on reading about swan wedging?
I never really learned it in fellowship.

Another thing I hear the cardiologists talk about is the v wave... what's that? They've no swan or cvp so it's obviously something from their left heart cath

So also anyone got anything good on left heart cath tracing, heart cath etc. For dummies

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone got any good links on reading about swan wedging?
I never really learned it in fellowship.

Another thing I hear the cardiologists talk about is the v wave... what's that? They've no swan or cvp so it's obviously something from their left heart cath

So also anyone got anything good on left heart cath tracing, heart cath etc. For dummies

And the rest of the guy's channel is absolute gold. Can't believe he puts it all on there for free

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A wedge is pretty much the same as a CVP tracing. When you float a Swan all the wave morphology is the same as what the cardiologist sees on there left heart Cath waveforms.

A wedge is pretty much the same as a CVP tracing. When you float a Swan all the wave morphology is the same as what the cardiologist sees on there left heart Cath waveforms.

A "wedge" is the inferred left atrial pressure, so it's not the same as a CVP. Unless what you meant is that you can get right heart tracing information by floating a Swan, but you have to specifically "wedge" the Swan to get a PCWP; when the tip isn't "wedged" and otherwise sufficiently advanced you get the PA systolic/diastolic pressure.

How is a wedge like a cvp? How is a right heart cath aka swan like a left heart cath? I'm very confused

A "wedge" is the inferred left atrial pressure, so it's not the same as a CVP. Unless what you meant is that you can get right heart tracing information by floating a Swan, but you have to specifically "wedge" the Swan to get a PCWP; when the tip isn't "wedged" and otherwise sufficiently advanced you get the PA systolic/diastolic pressure.

How is a wedge like a cvp? How is a right heart cath aka swan like a left heart cath? I'm very confused

I am talking about waveform morphology and analysis. A PCWP waveform tracing will exhibit the similar A/C/V waves and X/Y as a CVP tracing. And obviously the pressures are going to be different, but if you superimpose the waveforms (scaled to be equal), A CVP/RA tracing looks like a PCWP/LA tracing; RV=LV, and PA=Aorta.

Therefore the V wave mentioned is either the LA V wave seen on LHC/PCWP, or it could be the V wave seen on physical exam (given there is no PAC).

Wiggers diagram - Wikipedia

1702867172028.png

Reactions: 1 user