WedgeDawg's Applicant Rating System (Updated Jan 2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The GPA calculation for MD schools do not really factor your graduate GPA, though DO schools do. At least for WARS, you should not expect to get a big bump for your graduate GPA.
Even if the graduate GPA came from an SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Your SMP GPA will be grouped with the Graduate GPA line in the AMCAS application.

With that said, each school has their own policy regarding how to factor in SMP GPA, and WARS might not fully address this specific situation. You might want to get a more individualized advice via WAMC. If you still want to use WARS, then the general advice is to be conservative with the point value, i.e. pick a lower value/point.

Even if the graduate GPA came from an SMP?

@WedgeDawg why isnt there a rating number score for the quality (or strength) of the letter of references (LOR) in this algorithm? arent they not as important in the final decision making for ADCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA calculation for MD schools do not really factor your graduate GPA, though DO schools do. At least for WARS, you should not expect to get a big bump for your graduate GPA.

I graduated last summer with a non-STEM degree and returned to my university to take my premed-preqreqs. Even though I currently made an A in all of them so far, are these classes going into my graduate GPA or undergraduate? I'm confused because although I already graduated with my bachelors in nursing, the premed classes I'm taking are undergraduate classes ( physics, ochem, stats, etc).

@WedgeDawg why isnt there a rating number score for the quality (or strength) of the letter of references (LOR) in this algorithm? arent they not as important in the final decision making for ADCOM?

LOR are supposed to be confidential and therefore impossible to say if they are strong.

I graduated last summer with a non-STEM degree and returned to my university to take my premed-preqreqs. Even though I currently made an A in all of them so far, are these classes going into my graduate GPA or undergraduate? I'm confused because although I already graduated with my bachelors in nursing, the premed classes I'm taking are undergraduate classes ( physics, ochem, stats, etc).

They are undergraduate courses that fall under the postbac column.

Reactions: 1 users
@WedgeDawg @BluMist What if I'm getting significant amount clinical experience over the application cycle year. If right now I have 0 hours, but I'm projected to have hundreds by the time I matriculate, what should I put for that section

Reactions: 1 user
111 WARS score, assuming LGBTQ+ is URM. Just got my MCAT today, and it was a 522!! :)

• Okay...
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
General question, what would you guys consider my clinical experience is? I've done hospital volunteering for 3 years, but its only ~30 hours a semester, so 180 hours total. Then volunteered at a free medical clinic for ~50 hours. I feel like this is sustained, but not a lot of hours. Granted, I am a traditional applicant and still in school. Would you say this is a 2 or 3 for clinical experience?

General question, what would you guys consider my clinical experience is? I've done hospital volunteering for 3 years, but its only ~30 hours a semester, so 180 hours total. Then volunteered at a free medical clinic for ~50 hours. I feel like this is sustained, but not a lot of hours. Granted, I am a traditional applicant and still in school. Would you say this is a 2 or 3 for clinical experience?
I'm just another pre-med but I'd say a 2. This doesn't scream 'outstanding' to me. But it is also very good shows long-term commitment.

@WedgeDawg What tier would you consider Kaiser to be? I know it's difficult since it's so new, but do you have any idea where you'd rank it?

Would a successful business be miscellaneous 2, 3, or 4? Not a for-profit, but co-founded and have been working for years and have directly impacted thousands of students in disadvantaged communities around my hometown and college.

@WedgeDawg do college-level classes taken in HS that are in the AMCAS app count as part of the GPA med schools consider? those grades in HS weigh my GPA down. If I subtract them, my GPA jumps to another level. Thoughts? And, when calculating GPA for your calculator, should I incorporate those HS grades in GPA? Thanks

@WedgeDawg do college-level classes taken in HS that are in the AMCAS app count as part of the GPA med schools consider? those grades in HS weigh my GPA down. If I subtract them, my GPA jumps to another level. Thoughts? And, when calculating GPA for your calculator, should I incorporate those HS grades in GPA? Thanks
All college level classes count towards your GPA and must be incorporated. AMCAS only cares if the class was taken for college credit. If yes, then it counts even if it hurts your GPA, unfortunately.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is an old post, but given how amazing/accurate this is, I am using it this year. I just wanted to know what category six means? Like what do you mean by low yield? A lot of the schools on my list to apply to are "low yield" and I don't know if I should be concerned.

it means those schools have a low yield rate, meaning that they accept a lot more students than their class size because people often choose better schools.
Do you think it's okay that about 35% of my list is "low yield?" Seemingly, it's easier to get an acceptance to one of these schools, but the acceptance isn't as reliable as with other schools, so they could drop me if they have a high-applicant year?

Do you think it's okay that about 35% of my list is "low yield?" Seemingly, it's easier to get an acceptance to one of these schools, but the acceptance isn't as reliable as with other schools, so they could drop me if they have a high-applicant year?
The definition given above is incorrect. Being low yield actually refers to a school that receives an unusually large number of applications and doesn't have anything to do with THEIR yield. These are usually schools with average stats, no significant regional preference, in a good location, and has middle of the road prestige. Having an easy secondary is a plus too - hence, it's actually HARDER to get an acceptance there. For example, Tulane is a category 6 school and received over 17k apps this year. They interview 600 people for a class of 200 so factoring in them accepting a few more than their class size, they have around a 2% acceptance rate.

35% is a bit high for your list composition but it isn't horrible as long as you have good reasons to apply to these schools and submit their secondaries as early as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
The definition given above is incorrect. Being low yield actually refers to a school that receives an unusually large number of applications and doesn't have anything to do with THEIR yield. These are usually schools with average stats, no significant regional preference, in a good location, and has middle of the road prestige. Having an easy secondary is a plus too - hence, it's actually HARDER to get an acceptance there. For example, Tulane is a category 6 school and received over 17k apps this year. They interview 600 people for a class of 200 so factoring in them accepting a few more than their class size, they have around a 2% acceptance rate.

35% is a bit high for your list composition but it isn't horrible as long as you have good reasons to apply to these schools and submit their secondaries as early as possible.
Oh, alright! Will probably cut down then! Thank you!

To what extent will this system work for us reinventors?

Just got an email, logged into my portal and it says im Accepted???????????

I didnt get a call yesterday. Is this a mistake?
Congrats!!Well deserved!!

A lot of schools don’t call in my experience. If you got an email, and portal says you’re in, then you’re in!

Congrats!!Well deserved!!

A lot of schools don’t call in my experience. If you got an email, and portal says you’re in, then you’re in!
lol omg i put this in the wrong thread lmfao. Thank you for letting me know inadvertently

Two quick questions:

How would a research Fulbright (not the ETA one) and/or multiple patents from research experience influence the miscellaneous or research categories here? I do not have a PhD or masters, but did sustained research for 2 years followed by the research Fulbright. I'm wondering if I would be considered a 5 for Research Experience and/or a 4 for Miscellaneous categories.

Is 300 hrs over a year at a free clinic considered a score of 2 or 3 for Clinical Experience? I know there are people with thousands of hours through professional experience, so I feel like 300 hrs isn't much.

Here is the breakdown for research:
Research Experience

Score Cap: 5
Multiplier: 3

Level 5: Significant, sustained research activity. Generally, applicants in this category will have a first author publication, publication in a high-impact journal, and/or solo presentation of their own, original work at a major conference. These are the research superstars who are performing work well beyond the level of an undergraduate. PhDs will generally fall into this category, too.

Level 4: Significant, sustained research activity, generally for at least 2 years. Applicants in this category may have a poster presentation, a middle author publication in a medium- or low-impact journal, an abstract, or a thesis. These applicants have a strong research focus and perform research above the level of the average undergraduate.

Level 3: Moderate research activity, generally for a year or more. These applicants generally don't have publications or presentations, but may have completed a project.

Level 2: Slight research activity, generally for less than a year.

Level 1: No research activity.
I think you are a 4 because you do not have first author in meaningful high-impact journals. I think the 5 level is for research superstars that a lot of research focused med schools are already aware of.

Here is the breakdown for Miscellaneous:

Miscellaneous

Score Cap: 4
Multiplier: 3

Level 4: Highly significant life experiences or achievements that are seen as outstanding and contribute maximally to personal and professional development. This may include Rhodes scholarships, world class musicianship, professional or Olympic athletics, significant or sustained meaningful or unique work experiences, or anything else outlandishly impressive.

Level 3: Moderately-to-highly significant life experiences or achievements. This includes other terminal graduate degrees such as PhDs or JDs, military or Peace Corp service, as well as intense involvement with a unique or meaningful non-medical activity.

Level 2: Minimal-to-moderate involvement in personal activity or work experience. This may include major personal hobbies or athletics, musicianship, or other experiences.

Level 1: Nothing else to add.

I don't see any mention of research, so I assume all of your research activity would not apply to miscellaneous.

What are we really thinking about musicianship (IE on the call-list for professional orchestras, playing with renowned professional bands/ensembles, etc.) for misc? I know "world-class" musicianship is listed but I'm not sure if this means just playing at the semi-professional to professional level, or if it means I need to be Kenny G or Yo-Yo Ma :oops:

im sorry, where is the School list excel file? I see nothing linked other than the change log excel file which has no info on it.

My WARS is 77 if someone wants to post the list

This tool is very useful; however, I think it overemphasizes being URM and doing research. Also, it would be cool to see it take into account being a veteran or a non-traditional student.

This tool is very useful; however, I think it overemphasizes being URM and doing research. Also, it would be cool to see it take into account being a veteran or a non-traditional student.
If you check out admit.org there's a school list builder that takes in specific hours of each activity, military status, and proper weighting for being URM and how it affects the holistic evaluation of the rest of the application (MCAT retakes, research requirements, etc).

You know, after not really thinking about this for almost 5 years now, it’s kind of crazy to see how many YouTube videos people have made of it…

Reactions: 5 users