Weedouts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Methuselah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to comment on how med-schools use computers to weed-out applicants by GPA and MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want to hear??? Some schools use them to weed-out appplicants by GPA and MCAT scores. Not to difficult to say. They probably just have a formula that is a sliding scale for MCAT based on GPA.

The Medical College of Wisconsin used to have a formula on their web page about three years ago that stated whether or not you would be awarded an invitation based on your numbers.

does anyone know if the applicants will be lower or higher than last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
fewer applicants applying (good!), higher scores needed to get in (bad
frown.gif
).

One posting alluded to the weighting of the individual MCAT scores; I've also heard different things about a sliding scale between an applicant's MCAT vs. GPA scores; another posting described a scenario where points were added/subtracted from your GPA based upon which undergrad school you attended. The rating strategies are not as obvious as: HIGH MCAT = GOOD. I was wondering if anyone had any specifics.

I dont understand, how can fewer people applying to med school be bad for us? Even if the average MCAT scores go up, its still good for premeds that the number of people applying goes down.

That way, although the MCATs might be higher this year compared to previous years,more people will still get admitted because last time I heard you can only accept a place at 1 med school. Ergo, more people will be getting in off the wait lists (provided that fewer people apply).

Caveat: this only works if the med schools dont change the number of people they accept on a year by year basis depending on the number of applicants during that particular year. (i.e. Harvard knows there are 12,000 applicants one year and decides to accept 100 people. But the next year there are only 8,000 applicants so they only accept 65 people). Does anybody know if theres any truth to this scenario?

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

[This message has been edited by baylor21 (edited 06-28-2000).]

um, re-read my post, i stated that having fewer applicants was a good thing!

raindodger

METHU..please read REIND... post more carefully. He clearly answered your question!

pay attention!!!!!!!!!hehehehehehehehehh

Dr. FS