Weekend before exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted641469

How do you guys study the weekend before an exam? I have been studying pretty consistently (5-10 hours/day outside of class) for the last few weeks, and now I only have two days left. I am reviewing the areas I find toughest and doing practice questions. Just not sure of the best ways to maximize this time. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

If the practice questions are reported to be pretty good for your course (hopefully second years have given your class some sense of this), that's always a good idea. It's hard to give specific advice here.

Thank you! Sorry my original post was a pretty general question. We have heard from second years that the practice test is pretty helpful. I guess I am used to being able to review every single thing a bunch of times before every test. That strategy feels overwhelming/not possible for this much material.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, in M1 and M2 we took one big exam on friday. Starting the friday before I usually buckled down and tried to study 8-12 hours a day, this usually got me in the top 50% of scores. Some of them didn't study more than a 3-4 hours a day before and still got in the top 10%. . ..

My point is you'll have to figure this out yourself. It's different for everybody. I would suggest figuring this out on your own and not trying to do the exact same study schedules as other people. Additionally, you'll have to figure out your own way on how to study. Some people rewrote things again and again (me). Some people just watched lecture over and over. You'll have to figure this out on your own.

Reactions: 1 user
I never felt ready for any of my exams for much the same reason: too much material to feel like I knew 100% of it with complete certainty. Never felt ready, just kept studying until one day an exam happened and that was it.

Then again, if you're like our new M1 neighbors who also have an exam this week, you will use this weekend to smoke so much weed that your neighbors will get a contact high from the veritable hot box that is your building.

Reactions: 4 users
I never felt ready for any of my exams for much the same reason: too much material to feel like I knew 100% of it with complete certainty. Never felt ready, just kept studying until one day an exam happened and that was it.

Then again, if you're like our new M1 neighbors who also have an exam this week, you will use this weekend to smoke so much weed that your neighbors will get a contact high from the veritable hot box that is your building.

Thanks, that actually makes me feel better. My previous habits helped me very confident about everything I could be asked about, but they're not really applicable to this quantity of material. I've been asking lots of people how they study and trying various things, and I guess I'll eventually figure out what combination will work the best for me. I was sort of hoping someone on here would have some extra advice for these last few days when I'd normally reread and rewrite EVERYTHING a dozen times... even turning my apt building into a hotbox wouldn't help with that :) (Though my neighbors are actually taking care of that, anyway...)

Re-read slides and study guides ad nauseam. Mix in some review books for flavor.

Even on med school tests I've gotten perfect scores on, I always walked in feeling like I didn't study enough. Borrowing from Paul Valery, you never finish studying, you just abandon it.

Reactions: 1 user
At my school, in M1 and M2 we took one big exam on friday. Starting the friday before I usually buckled down and tried to study 8-12 hours a day, this usually got me in the top 50% of scores. Some of them didn't study more than a 3-4 hours a day before and still got in the top 10%. . ..

My point is you'll have to figure this out yourself. It's different for everybody. I would suggest figuring this out on your own and not trying to do the exact same study schedules as other people. Additionally, you'll have to figure out your own way on how to study. Some people rewrote things again and again (me). Some people just watched lecture over and over. You'll have to figure this out on your own.

Possibly the worst feeling on the planet.

Reactions: 1 users