Weekend Coverage Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor4ever

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thinking about taking a position for weekend coverage at a private regional hospital in the Midwest (closest large city is two hours away). It's a 20 bed adult psych unit (no detox, no involuntary patients). Coverage starts from Friday AM to Monday AM (36 hours). They would have to fly me in and pay for a rental car and hotel.

I was wondering how much I should ask for per weekend? I'm working directly with the hospital (not through a locums company). Through my past experiences I've realized that locums companies pay about ½ of what they charge the hospitals or clinics. I would have to pay for malpractice coverage though.

BTW I'm BC.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know how applicable this is to your situation, but we get $750/day + RVU production credit for the weekends we cover at our own hospital (sleeping at home in our own beds at night). I have to think they need to pay you more.

Is the place in Iowa?

I recall seeing some job offers where they were willing to fly doctors in because they could not find anyone to cover them.

If they are willing to fly you in, they are likely desperate and willling to pay top dollar.

Personally, I wouldn't gun for something too high (call it Jewish or Catholic guilt but I'm not Jewish, more like a Catholic who doesn't believe in the religion), but if it's a private place, I'd ask for something higher than the norm.

Then again, I'd be away from the wife and daughter. Missing them would make me want to get paid more.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not in Iowa. The first offer was for 3K, but I told them I made more when I was moonlighting as a resident five years ago. Today they came back with another offer of $3500

They will pay for malpractice, but I don't think that's costing them much too add a psychiatrist to a group policy.

You should have a take home of at least $100/hr and no out of pocket expenses for yourself regarding malpractice. As for housing, food, transportation that's negotiable. Just my opinion.

Whatever you could make as a moonlighting resident should be your absolute minimum.

Whatever you could make as a moonlighting resident should be your absolute minimum.

How much can one make as a moonlighting resident, when can you start doing it, and who do you see (just psych patients or general med patients as well)? I'm an MS-IV curious about the whole moonlighting thing, especially if our PGY funding gets cut.

Hi

Is this place in Missouri ? I know the local hospital here is anxious to hire a new psychiatrist for weekend coverage.