Weighing my options...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevlar917

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my senior year, I'm pre-med, and I've got a dilemma (of course, I'm posting on SDN, so you probably figured those last 2 things to be true anyway). I'm graduating in May 2011 in electrical engineering, and my current cGPA is 2.96. After this semester it should be an even 3.00. My plan was to take the MCAT in March, and apply for some SMP's to start in Fall 2011, and applying to some DO schools over this upcoming summer for fall 2012 entrance. If I didn't get in (highly likely, obviously), I was planning on re-applying for Fall 2013 entrance.

Now, however, I've started thinking about getting a second bachelor's in microbiology instead. My cGPA could be raised to about a 3.1-3.2, and my sGPA can be brought around 3.4-3.5 (I haven't actually calculated this but that's an estimate given the small amount BCPM classes I've taken, compared to the ones I would take with the extra courses I would need for a micro degree). It would take 2 more years to complete, but I'd still be applying for fall 2013 entrance like above (the second time around, at least).

Pros of the second degree include:
-I'm already in the univ I would take the classes in, so no worrying about acceptance like with SMP's, I can just declare a second major
-cheaper tuition (6g/yr at my univ vs. 20-40g/yr for a SMP)
-Research opportunities at my univ, and I have no research yet
-I don't have to rush to take the MCAT in March (when I'll be taking 2nd OChem as well as engineering senior design) and can wait until next year, plus have more time to retake if I don't do well
-Better LOR's, as of right now they would probably all be from engineering prof's, not science profs
-This still leaves the option of applying for SMP's later on.
-More time for volunteering/shadowing experiences

Pros of SMP:
-could get earlier acceptance to med school (fall 2012 vs fall 2013), but only if I'm lucky. And to be honest, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get in with my stats w/o a SMP/post-bacc the first time around, so this may be moot.
-Could possibly be better in the long run than a second degree(?)

So, the inevitable question: Should I retain my current course of attempting to get into a SMP late next spring, stay for a second degree, or something else? Honestly I'm leaning towards getting the second degree, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I do. And, do either of these options really give me a good chance at getting in?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with the second-degree option. SMPs are risky, and a jump from 3.0 to 3.1/3.2 in one year is considerable. Unless you kill the MCAT in March, you're going to need at least 1 year to apply. And improving your undergrad GPA is probably the most important thing you can do aside from studying for the MCAT.

Consider that if you graduate, you will be able to show a stronger upward trend. This is because all your classes in a second degree will be lumped with your senior GPA. If you graduate, all undergrad classes will count towards your post-bacc GPA. Your cum GPA will be the same, but it will highlight a trend. The downside is that it's harder to get financial aid as a post-bacc (I know from personal experience). If you can find the funding, a post-bacc might be better than a second-major option. But to me, the risk isn't worth it, and I would just try to double major.

SMPs should be a last resort (aka, your low GPA isn't moving because of diminishing returns). Also, an SMP degree is essentially worthless. It's to help you get into med school, so in the long run, it doesn't matter as long as you get in.

Thanks Isoprop. I actually just read your story in the low-GPA thread, so clearly more undergrad classwork has worked at least once :)