Weight of doing MS in Pharmacology but applying before starting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciderbun96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am likely doing a 5th year and at the same time doing an MS in Pharmacology. My pre req grades are less than desirable and I am doing really well and really enjoying the Pharmacology class I am taking now. The glitch is that I will be applying this summer, so pod schools will only see that I am enrolling in the program and not get to see my grades. Is there any weight to having an "in progress/about to begin" status for this? If this helps at all, my number 1 choice is Temple.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think there should be any weight.

Was finishing my masters while applying. Pre-reqs were horrible.

Doesn't matter as long as you send in everything you have currently and keep updating your AACPMAS profile.

How was your MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
Don't think there should be any weight.

Was finishing my masters while applying. Pre-reqs were horrible.

Doesn't matter as long as you send in everything you have currently and keep updating your AACPMAS profile.

How was your MCAT?

No idea yet. Taking it this summer after I take physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were entering 2019, why not just do Post Bacc, I think it will prepare you better, so you can strengthen your preclinal courses.

I am likely doing a 5th year and at the same time doing an MS in Pharmacology. My pre req grades are less than desirable and I am doing really well and really enjoying the Pharmacology class I am taking now. The glitch is that I will be applying this summer, so pod schools will only see that I am enrolling in the program and not get to see my grades. Is there any weight to having an "in progress/about to begin" status for this? If this helps at all, my number 1 choice is Temple.
Do you mind sharing your current undergrad stats?

If you were entering 2019, why not just do Post Bacc, I think it will prepare you better, so you can strengthen your preclinal courses.

Because my school has an accelerated MS program that can be finished while simoultaneously finishing your undergrad. I am taking a 5th year any way to finish pre reqs for my major and also to prove my worth in the sciences. I'm doing really well in pharmacology and I find the field really fascinating, so an MS would be a good idea.

3.0 cumulative, 2.6 science gpa. :(
I think the best plan is to have sGPA to be at least 3.0 before you apply. I do not think that MS will help especially if it is not completed. I would take science classes over spring and summer to bring your sGPA up. cGPA will also rise. Pod app opens in August only.

Because my school has an accelerated MS program that can be finished while simoultaneously finishing your undergrad. I am taking a 5th year any way to finish pre reqs for my major and also to prove my worth in the sciences. I'm doing really well in pharmacology and I find the field really fascinating, so an MS would be a good idea.
How many more undergrad science classes will you take then before applying next cycle? How high can you raise your sGPA?

How many more undergrad science classes will you take then before applying next cycle? How high can you raise your sGPA?

From my calculations using online gpa calc tools, I can likely get my cGPA to 3.1 and my sGPA to 2.9-3.0 if I play my cards right before applying late summer/early fall.

From my calculations using online gpa calc tools, I can likely get my cGPA to 3.1 and my sGPA to 2.9-3.0 if I play my cards right before applying late summer/early fall.
I would do that and focus on MCAT.

do you have shadowing hours and other volunteering hours? clinical experience?

I would do that and focus on MCAT.

do you have shadowing hours and other volunteering hours? clinical experience?

I have shadowing and am a palliative care volunteer. I meet with 5-10 patients each week when I'm at the hospital volunteering and provide them someone to talk to, music, etc. I was also an intern with the Chief Medical Examiner for the state that I live in. I saw 50+ autopsies and was involved in several aspects of death investigation.

If you can get a 3.0 and at least a 490 on the MCAT, there will be schools that accept you.

2.7 GPA can still get you there, but I'd apply with a mcat > 495.

Apparently there were only 900 applicants for all pod schools in the country to all 9 schools. You have a pretty good shot if you just meet the minimum.

I wouldn't waste time or money on anything other than your regular classes if I was you.

Focus on getting A's on your remaining science courses and take mcat next year and your set.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, ur pharmacology background will really help you come pharmacology in professional school. This stuff is soul crushingly hard.

Reactions: 1 users