Weight of essays in application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerdyneuro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much weight do the essays (personal statement, why MD/PhD, and significant research, in particular) carry in the MD/PhD application process? How do they compare to GPA, MCAT, research hours, letters of rec, EC's, etc.? I've heard everything on this site from "no one reads them" to "they can make or break your application".

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on who gets the application honestly. Different people put different weight on components.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I believe most schools have more than one person read your app, so chances are someone will care about the PS. Why does it matter, shouldn’t you try to do the best on all parts of the application anyways

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my interviewers had clearly read my application cover to cover at least once and had taken in depth notes. She knew facts off the top of her head that I had mentioned in passing in my essays. It all depends on who you have though. You should put 100% effort into every part of the application to maximize your chances.

... and you should re-read your application shortly prior to your interview. Anything there can be fair game. For example, if you indicate that you speak fluently a language, you might be surprised by interviewing with someone who speaks it.

Reactions: 1 users
... and you should re-read your application shortly prior to your interview. Anything there can be fair game. For example, if you indicate that you speak fluently a language, you might be surprised by interviewing with someone who speaks it.
Seconding this. I wrote about a trip to a foreign country. My interviewer asked me to recall the phrases I'd learned.

Thirding. I wrote that I'd played with a classical music troupe and I was asked who/what/where/when by a PI who was into the same music. Turns out our circles overlapped.

More broadly -- I think an excellent essay can give an edge, but a bad essay will tank an application. The latter is the basis for the "make or break" sentiment.

Last edited:
Agreed with all the above. Yes, some reviewers might just glance over them and not fret too much if they are just "OK," and even fantastic essay materials are unlikely to get you interviews at schools that are super high reaches. However, they can certainly make a massive difference if your application is borderline, and they can always ruin any otherwise good application.

Additionally, for me personally, I had kind of a unique/personal background story in my PS. I had at least one interviewer at almost every school have a discussion with me about it or very kindly comment/compliment something I had said. I also had some interviewers read specific quotes of mine from my activities section or my essays back to me -- so as Dr. Fencer mentions, it's definitely a good idea to remind yourself of what you have said before you interview.

My motto: if you're at the application stage, you have undoubtedly put in YEARS of hard work to set yourself up for this point when it comes to research, volunteering, leadership, grades, etc. You are SO close, and it is not worth it to take a chance on anything!! Apply early, apply smart, re-read everything... you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage just based on the way you've applied. Maximize your chances to show off everything you've worked for over the years!

Last edited:
Range from "I read your app in a summer and forgot, so tell me about yourself..." to remembering every little detail you put into your app during the interview. Also, med students who interviewed me, seemed to be extremely thorough with my PS, so I was glad that I have put a lot effort into it