weird question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothPrincess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is kind of joking, but totally not... So I want to be a dentist and I am scared of vomit!!! Every time someone throws up I feel like I am going to throw up and I am actually worst off than the sick person!!! I can't deal with coughing people or anyone who sneezes... I think this may pose as a problem y'all!!

Ok... So this is supposed t be a light rant anyone please don't violently attack me for my fear of barf!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Double up on the mask and gloves :laugh:

I don't really like the site of vomit either (who does?). I mean, I don't always feel like I am always going to vomit when I see it and feel that I am pretty tolerable of seeing icky things. I think knowing that there are rubber gloves and masks "protecting me" gives me peace of mind when things go flying during dental procedures.

Watch out for when you make impressions. Sometimes it gets the gag reflex going and poof, you're covered in vomit. But there's ways to avoid this so don't drop out of dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know what the therapy is called, but just watch a lot of vomit videos until you no longer have a fear of barf?

Haha... Thanks for the advice yall!!! And thanks for not banishing me to the basement for my weird little fear!!!

i dont know what the therapy is called, but just watch a lot of vomit videos until you no longer have a fear of barf?

I fear to know what online repository holds videos like this.

Ummm ya, like that one with the Japanese girls in nurse outfits? Or at least that's what my friend told me about it, I wouldn't know.

i have the same phobia. but i havent seen it yet and hopefully wont. i dont think its a common occurrence. ive seen some people gag once or twice during radiology but nothing too bad yet lol. hopefully impression taking wont be too bad..mostly gagging but no vomiting

If it happens then just make the poor assistant clean it up.

:laugh: You should most definetly avoid Pediatric dentistry then! I was shadowing one and saw the kids vomiting all the time...:eek: However I didn't see it with general or any other specialities I shadowed...;)

I'm the same way! It will be a fun experience, lol

Once you make it though gross, you can handle just about anything.
-C

You have to take Gross in Dental school?? oO Never knew that!

systematic desensitization (or graduated exposure therapy), and you can take that one to the bank :D...

you know for all the predents still waiting to take the DAT -- or anyone else that may want a bit more trivial knowledge.

I laughted the moment I read the first post. I work in a pediatric dental office and I totally almost got puked on twice today. It is not common, but it definitely happens. Not to deter you from pedo, but it is part of the job. The first one definitely ate scrambled eggs this morning...
:barf:

funny post...good laughs. I've been a dent. hygienist for about six years and have been witness to several barf sessions - all pedo's. Flouride, impressions, x-rays and too high on N2O gas (this is actually quite humorous at first:thumbup:) are the most common offenders.

For all you vomit-a-phobes....a bit of advice - KEEP YOUR MASK ON (olfactory protection device) and keep a trash can near (so you don't have to yak in your own mouth) if there is nobody but you to clean it up:(.

Dan

Ha ha... Well I know for sure that I would NOT go into pedo!! Although my mom has pedos at her practice and I've never seen then shoot tha boot (if you will). This was an adult!!! Dude, stand up and book it to the bathroom... At least you will spew trying!!! The other wasn't soooo pedo ( like 15)!!! I like surgery (bc my patients will be knocked the eff out :)) the only problem is... The whole residency bit!!! Anyway, totally rambling... Thanks guys... I love the ideas (and I am happy that I am not alone).

Oh... your in for an experience.
I remember in elementary school some kid barfed and it stunk up the entire room and it created
a spontaneous barf fest.

Have Fun & Good Luck