Weird Situation....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stardreamergurl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a really weird situation. Please bare with me.

I worked at a diner place. Really early hours and I know I am not a morning person, but I trained myself to be. Tip money is really good! I don't go out at all and I have a SUPER BOOM loud alarm clock, so things were great!

I was lucky enough to meet a pharmacist through this place, and got a volunteer position at his pharmacy! I am really grateful. He is friends with the owners.

BUT I unfortunately slept in one day.... I know, I am really ashamed and feel pathetic that I would just oversleep. I set my alarms.... but I think I just forgot to turn them on because I didn't wake up until a couple hours AFTER I was supposed to show up. Well I knew once I woke up, and looked at the clock I was fired. I have definitely learned from this experience. It just makes me feel so unprofessional! :(

Well that week I started at the pharmacy, but I didn't mention anything to the pharmacist. Do you guys think I should mention something? I do not know HOW GOOD of friends he is with the owners. But I feel like its only a matter of time before he goes to the restaurant, and asks, "How's stardreamer?" And they will respond, " Oh she was fired for blah blah blah."

Ok, so definitely going to tell him. But HOW should I tell him? I need your help SDN! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I have a really weird situation. Please bare with me.

I worked at a diner place. Really early hours and I know I am not a morning person, but I trained myself to be. Tip money is really good! I don't go out at all and I have a SUPER BOOM loud alarm clock, so things were great!

I was lucky enough to meet a pharmacist through this place, and got a volunteer position at his pharmacy! I am really grateful. He is friends with the owners.

BUT I unfortunately slept in one day.... I know, I am really ashamed and feel pathetic that I would just oversleep. I set my alarms.... but I think I just forgot to turn them on because I didn't wake up until a couple hours AFTER I was supposed to show up. Well I knew once I woke up, and looked at the clock I was fired. I have definitely learned from this experience. It just makes me feel so unprofessional! :(

Well that week I started at the pharmacy, but I didn't mention anything to the pharmacist. Do you guys think I should mention something? I do not know HOW GOOD of friends he is with the owners. But I feel like its only a matter of time before he goes to the restaurant, and asks, "How's stardreamer?" And they will respond, " Oh she was fired for blah blah blah."

Ok, so definitely going to tell him. But HOW should I tell him? I need your help SDN! Thank you

Yeah you certainly wouldn't want anyone knowing you slept in one day.. career ending.

Is this thread a joke? This is not a weird situation. Sleeping in on accident is not even remotely weird. In addition, who cares if you got fired as a waitress? Unless you were fired for popping a handful of oxy's then no pharmacist cares.

Tell him. Don't tell him. It will have absolutely no bearing on your future.

I highly doubt anyone at the diner will tell this guy you were fired at all, let alone for what. I'm not sure it's even legal for them to spread gossip about employees. I wouldn't think anything of it. Say you quit so you could focus more on school and volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt worry about it too much... I am more surprised that they fired you because you overslept for ONE day?!?

This is dumb, first of all I don't see how sleeping in one day will get you fired from any job. You clearly have a history of tardiness or bad work ethic and this was just the final straw. I have been working at regular retail jobs and pharmacies for years and I've never been afraid of losing my job for being late. It happens sometimes and if you're a good employee your managers will understand. Your bad work ethic and inability to hold a job speaks greatly of your maturity level and you won't make it in pharmacy without the right mentality.

This thread was not a joke. Of course I called right when I woke up and attempted to go in.

I was being serious. I wanted SDN's help on what I should tell the pharmacist/ how to tell the pharmacist. I did get some nice answers, but others just made me feel bad. Bw6, why would I be joking? Do you see many joke threads on this forum? If you did think I was joking, why didn't you just LOL instead of being sarcastic? I know it is not career ending, but it could have effected my relationship with the pharmacist.

I know it seems surprising that I was fired for just ONE day, but none of you know my boss. I know my boss. I asked people who have been working there for 10 years if they would be fired for being late. They said, "Right away." I witnessed the best and oldest waitress there was late 5 minutes one day and had to endure a 10 minute lecture on tardiness. I've seen 2 people fired for being 30 minutes late. I've seen a girl fired for forgetting to do one simple task of putting away the milk over night. My boss is ridiculous.

PTG, I think it is unfair of you to judge my work ethic. This was the FIRST time I was late. I was late MORE than 30 minutes, and I knew I was fired. I don't have a problem with tardiness. I am not chronically late. I believe I was a good and hard worker. It is wrong for you to think I have a bad work ethic/ problem with tardiness. I made a mistake and all I can do is learn from it. I was not asking your opinion on my work ethic because I overslept one day.

I can see how you can come to that conclusion, of course, but you should stick to the question being asked. I've been working for years also, and I know regular retail jobs and food service jobs are lenient, but I knew my boss well too. My boss runs a private business, so it's their way or the highway.

I am just offended by some of the comments. I came here with an open mind, truthful and serious situation for me. I don't think it was dumb. I was really concerned about what to do, even if some of you didn't believe it was true or just stupid or just thought I was a bad worker, why do you have to respond in such a negative way? I wasn't asking to be judged or HOW WILL THIS EFFECT MY CHANCES OF GETTING IN? I was asking how to tell the pharmacist. I was expecting just honest answers on what to do without judgement.

Thank you Nelcovp and kcwang for your answers. Those simple, straight to the point answers made me feel better.

This thread was not a joke. Of course I called right when I woke up and attempted to go in.

I was being serious. I wanted SDN's help on what I should tell the pharmacist/ how to tell the pharmacist. I did get some nice answers, but others just made me feel bad. Bw6, why would I be joking? Do you see many joke threads on this forum? If you did think I was joking, why didn't you just LOL instead of being sarcastic? I know it is not career ending, but it could have effected my relationship with the pharmacist.

I know it seems surprising that I was fired for just ONE day, but none of you know my boss. I know my boss. I asked people who have been working there for 10 years if they would be fired for being late. They said, "Right away." I witnessed the best and oldest waitress there was late 5 minutes one day and had to endure a 10 minute lecture on tardiness. I've seen 2 people fired for being 30 minutes late. I've seen a girl fired for forgetting to do one simple task of putting away the milk over night. My boss is ridiculous.

PTG, I think it is unfair of you to judge my work ethic. This was the FIRST time I was late. I was late MORE than 30 minutes, and I knew I was fired. I don't have a problem with tardiness. I am not chronically late. I believe I was a good and hard worker. It is wrong for you to think I have a bad work ethic/ problem with tardiness. I made a mistake and all I can do is learn from it. I was not asking your opinion on my work ethic because I overslept one day.

I can see how you can come to that conclusion, of course, but you should stick to the question being asked. I've been working for years also, and I know regular retail jobs and food service jobs are lenient, but I knew my boss well too. My boss runs a private business, so it's their way or the highway.

I am just offended by some of the comments. I came here with an open mind, truthful and serious situation for me. I don't think it was dumb. I was really concerned about what to do, even if some of you didn't believe it was true or just stupid or just thought I was a bad worker, why do you have to respond in such a negative way? I wasn't asking to be judged or HOW WILL THIS EFFECT MY CHANCES OF GETTING IN? I was asking how to tell the pharmacist. I was expecting just honest answers on what to do without judgement.

Thank you Nelcovp and kcwang for your answers. Those simple, straight to the point answers made me feel better.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx

OP, the reason I asked the question I did is because there are a surprising number of people on this board who are just entering the workforce and may not know that while being late isn't always automatic firing, no call no show is almost universally quitting. With a few more details, the situation is a lot clearer - I'm glad you're not taking the firing personally.

With regards to the pharmacist situation, I would only talk about it if it comes up. Don't dodge the question, but find a way to negate its impact (I was always early before that day, but you know Mr X, he rules that place with an iron fist. It's for the better - I couldn't have gotten my great job at xyz or this opportunity without Mr X). I'm sure by the time it comes up (if it does) the pharmacist will see you're a bright individual who does her level best.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Whatever you tell him, he'll just laugh and think nothing of it.

FYI I sleep 11 hours.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: x1000

That is 4,000 thumbs up for the record. Not one more and not one less. I agree exactly 4,000 thumbs up with your post. :laugh:

What do I get for 4000 thumbs up? Can I exchange for some kind of prize?:laugh: