Weird undergrad situation- help please. Thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedayDoctor91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this is MD but also want to know about DO! Any advice is appreciated. thank you!

Hey all, I will try to keep this short but I know it will be long, so thanks in advance to anyone who reads it. Anyways, excuses aside I know its not where you start, its where you end that matters. I would love to go to med school, but don't know how to go about fixing some past mistakes.

Currently about to graduate from a good UC with 3.88 GPA in neurobiology, and physiology.. however when you scratch beneath the surface its not so pretty.

Basically.. I stopped going to school in the 7th grade. Shouldn't have been legal, but it was. I ended up getting a diploma at 17 having never been in a classroom since I was 11. There was a reason for this, however its not such a great story and I have changed a lot since then.

Anyways, at 19 I decided to go to community college.. didn't know what I was doing, but just took some gen Ed classes. First semester I took ONE class because I was super nervous and new to school... and got a B lol. Anways, I was working as a nanny and taking night classes after that.

Had no idea what I was doing, and was very self conscious about not having gone to junior high and high school. I grew up with a lot of people telling me I was stupid because of it, and I believed this. So I avoided others at school and never talked to professors or guidance counselors. I have no clue what I was thinking... no one expected much of me and I didn't expect much of myself so I think back then I was literally going to school just to go and learn new stuff lol the idea of a career just wasn't even a thought.

I took a lot of business classes thinking I would get an econ degree but somewhere in genEd i took biology and it was the first time I had taken a class like that. I loved it. Same with chemistry. I worked incredibly hard eventually earning a 3.96 at community plus took a bunch a classes ( i think 56 units) for nothing because I had no idea what I was doing and they didn't transfer. This all took a really long time... a couple of semesters I took off just to work. Most of the time I went part-time, and even took two Ws.

Eventually I thought I would go into nursing since I liked all the pre-nursing classes, but was persuaded otherwise by people who knew me and told me " thats not a good idea you have to be smart to be a nurse". So i decided to get a biochem degree ( lol at this now, but considering how I grew up.. i believed everyone else that nursing was hard and biochem was not).

I transferred to university and still felt super self conscious... did well academically but didn't do anything else. Not to mention I go to a great research school, I didn't do any. Never went to a teachers office hours, no school events. I paid to live on my own, so this didn't help and I basically became someone who sat alone in my apartment and never left. Basically just always felt like I didn't belong around "smart" people.

When I learned about PA, i though that was cool and realized I needed to get out of my box and get patient contact hours, volunteer hours going etc. Once I started doing this ( late senior year), I realized I wasn't much different from all these "SMART" people..

Why MD? well all those years during childhood after leaving 7th grade, a lot of stuff went on and while I was always the patient, I thought being a doctor would be so cool but impossible for someone like me.. yes I get it, low self esteem is bad for a doctor. That being said I'm not self conscious in the way most people assume, I'm not socially akward. People like me when I go out and I generally just shyed away from people who were well educated.. So idk if its the fact I got my degree finally, or something else but I'm suddenly over the whole " im stupid" thing.

So heres my question - how do I fix this? If I apply to med school I wouldn't take me... no research but went to a great school. Few hours of volunterring, lots of student run clinic here but I didn't get in any, no clinical work etc. I have nothing but a good GPA that took me 6 years to get.

I think a post-bacc is not appropriate for me because I have a good GPA in a hard science... should I do a master's??? That way I can do research and volunteer etc all at the same time to show I can handle it all? I'm not sure how to fix this but basically feel like my whole undergrad degree is meaningless, minus the fact I learned a lot and now know I'm not stupid.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good GPA. You can stop thinking it's a fluke.:) I really think a master's is not appropriate for you as you don't seem need to need it for your career goals.* Continue volunteering, try to get a job in a lab (or even just email some profs offering to volunteer as a research assistant for them or a grad student). Since all you're missing is that volunteering and research experience, you should be ready to apply next year.

*On the other hand, if you have a specific research question or subject area you're interested in, I suppose doing a master's would be appropriate BUT you really do not need this in order to be qualified for med school.

You have a good GPA. You can stop thinking it's a fluke.:) I really think a master's is not appropriate for you as you don't seem need to need it for your career goals.* Continue volunteering, try to get a job in a lab (or even just email some profs offering to volunteer as a research assistant for them or a grad student). Since all you're missing is that volunteering and research experience, you should be ready to apply next year.

*On the other hand, if you have a specific research question or subject area you're interested in, I suppose doing a master's would be appropriate BUT you really do not need this in order to be qualified for med school.
thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are obviously a very intelligent person, don't doubt yourself! The past is the past, all you can do now is move forward. If I were you, spend a lot of time shadowing and getting volunteer hours, maybe go on a humanitarian or medical missions trip (it would look great on an application). You will make a great doctor one day because you understand the value of hard work. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure a lot of people (including myself) would do anything to have that GPA. You don't need extra schooling because your GPA is not the issue. I'd recommend volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), shadowing, etc. You basically just need to boost your resume. I wouldn't look down upon your situation. Everyone has a background story and this happens to be yours. You might want to consider writing about this in your PS because you obviously overcame something and learned A LOT about yourself in the process. Nothing to be ashamed of; own it!

So heres my question - how do I fix this? If I apply to med school I wouldn't take me... no research but went to a great school. Few hours of volunterring, lots of student run clinic here but I didn't get in any, no clinical work etc. I have nothing but a good GPA that took me 6 years to get.

You answered your own question. Volunteer and gain more clinical experience.

You make no mention of the MCAT in your post. If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, then that should be your top concern right now.

Also, I would highly recommend that you keep this long-winded "I-thought-I-was-too-dumb-to-be-a-doctor-but-look-at-me-now" nonsense out of your personal statement and interview responses.