Welcome to the Pre-Vet Forum!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the SDN Pre-Veterinary Forum!

This forum is intended for pre-professional students to discuss the pre-professional journey, vet school applications, and other issues facing pre-vets.

Please visit the SDN Veterinary Forum if you are currently enrolled in or are a graduate of a professional veterinary program.

If you have a non-specific question about a school, program, or the application process, please try to use the "search" feature at the top of the forum to see if it has been answered in the past. A lot of questions have already been answered so please look before you start a new thread.

Also, please note that the Pre-Veterinary Forum is not meant to serve as a diagnostic center. Please refer to your regular or consulting veterinarian for any of your pet's medical issues. SDN policy is that the forums do not serve as a source of medical advice but rather as a community for student discussion.

The veterinary boards also maintain a listing of recommended web links to useful sites. Post your favorite vet-related links! Go to: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/links/browselinks.php?c=9

If you have a blog you'd like to share with SDN members, go to: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/links/browselinks.php?c=10

To view reviews on veterinary school interviews, please go here. If you have interviewed at a vet school in the past, please consider leaving interview feedback here.

~Deanna
SDN Veterinary Forums Moderator

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think most everyone is already aware of this, but...

SDN has a great feature called Interview Feedback. Here, students post information about the schools they interviewed at including questions asked, how they liked the schools, how stressful it was, etc. It is a fantastic resource and one I highly encourage everyone to look at before they interview. I think almost every vet school in the country, and some Canadian, European and Australian/New Zealand schools too, has at least 1 feedback posted.

http://share.studentdoctor.net/interviewdvm/interview_read.asp

Also, after you interview, please share your experiences by clicking on "Enter Feedback" so that others can benefit from this resource as well.

this might be the stupidest question ever, but did the interview link move? i thought it was at the top of the sdn pages, but right now i'm in lab and not using my normal computer and i can't find that interview link anywhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you click on "Databases" in the bar across the top of your screen, it lists Interview Feedback and click on "veterinary school".

I looked at the Veterinary School Interview Feedback page and noticed that there was not a link for the University of Georgia. Does that mean that they dont interview or that no one has put in their own experience?

Nope, no interviews at UGA.

Thank you projekt. So I guess you attend UGA?

Thats exciting. I was wondering, in order to get into the vet school do you need to have your bachlors?

Thats exciting. I was wondering, in order to get into the vet school do you need to have your bachlors?

This web page http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/college_requirement.htm lists all the US accredited schools and their main requirements.

Some schools will require just classes (but, you'll find that in most cases, those courses will put you on the road to a Bachelor's), or a specified number of credits, or a Bachelor's degree. I think it's true that the majority of schools specify a Bachelor's. (All schools tell you which classes they want you to have... I mean 'to degree' or 'not to degree' in this case).

Here's a point to consider, though: If you change your mind about vet school later on, or you decide to pursue another career, it may be of benefit to have a degree, versus having just taken vet pre-req's "ala carte".

Anybody else having a hard time accessing the interview feedback right now? Or am I doing something wrong?

I click the link, it takes me to a general page for SDN interview feedback, I click the DVM link, it cycles to the same general page.

I used to be able to access the feedback page via this link... what am I doing wrong?

when i clicked on the 'interview feedback' link at this top, i ended up in the same position, barnaby, clicking on 'dvm' and not getting anywhere. i searched 'interview feedback' in the search field and that took me to a page where the kinds of schools were written out (that is, "veterinary school" instead of "dvm") and clicking on "vet school" took me to this page. hope the link works for you:

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=8

I was flipping through the interview feedback section and they keep using the terms "cold" interview. I think I also saw reference to an open/closed file interview. What do these terms mean?

Thanks,
V

Members don't see this ad :)
I was flipping through the interview feedback section and they keep using the terms "cold" interview. I think I also saw reference to an open/closed file interview. What do these terms mean?

Thanks,
V

"Cold" style interview means that the person interviewing you has not read your application. In other words, don't assume they know certain things about you. I believe it's to get a sense of what parts of you YOU think are important. Some schools have interviews with one person that does know your file ("hot") and another that doesn't ("cold"). Oftentimes it's the cold interviewer that's asking the questions.

Open/closed is similar. Open file means that they are familiar with your application, while closed means that they are not.

Most schools don't require a degree, but usually by the time you have all the pre reqs you will have one. Most that apply do have a degree and to be competitve you should have one. That is what I was told by one of the vets at NCU.

If you will have a degree or not while focusing on pre-reqs depends on your program. If your undergrad school has a lot of GEs, it is very possible that you won't.
It is possible to get in without a degree, I did it. I had two years of undergrad behind me at application, and am starting vet school this fall. My freshman year I did a TON of research and decided to apply the first time after my sophomore year. I just focused on getting pre-reqs done with great grades and as much experience as I could possibly get. I had to work like crazy, but it paid off!
I accepted my top choice (in-state) school and declined two UK schools. I took the risk to target my coursework so it fit my top choice school and then only applied there and the few others who had the same requirements. It worked, and I'm thrilled (when I get over the butterflies that fast approaching vet school brings).

I think most everyone is already aware of this, but...

SDN has a great feature called Interview Feedback. Here, students post information about the schools they interviewed at including questions asked, how they liked the schools, how stressful it was, etc. It is a fantastic resource and one I highly encourage everyone to look at before they interview. I think almost every vet school in the country, and some Canadian, European and Australian/New Zealand schools too, has at least 1 feedback posted.

http://share.studentdoctor.net/interviewdvm/interview_read.asp

Also, after you interview, please share your experiences by clicking on "Enter Feedback" so that others can benefit from this resource as well.

I don't see feedback for New Zealand/Australian schools. And the only feedback from a European school is Glaskow :scared:

I don't see feedback for New Zealand/Australian schools. And the only feedback from a European school is Glaskow :scared:

that's because Australian schools don't interview
well i think Charles Sturt does, but CSU's not available to international students :)

U of M recycled questions posted in interview feedback from as early as 2007 for my interview, so having read them all beforehand was a massive advantage.

Here's what A&M has to say about interview preparation. This is pulled from their site so I'm assuming it's written by someone at A&M. A lot of it pertains specifically to interviewing at A&M, however it does have some good general tips.

Vet School Interview Preparation Advice
The interview is a very important step in the selection process. It allows the school to learn more about you as well as allowing you to learn more about the school.

.Dress:..Dark pant-suit (no skirts ladies, they are unprofessional).
. Ladies: Closed toe shoes with modest heel if any.
Guys: shoes and socks that MATCH your suit (no black w/blue or brown or any combination thereof, and no white socks period!)

Be early to your interview to give you time to relax, and scope out the second floor of the med sciences library a few days before to give you an idea of your surroundings and make you more comfortable.​
There will be three interviewers on one side of the table with nametags, you sitting on the other side alone. Shake all their hands when you go in. Don't be worried by their frantic scribbling of notes, they'll write stuff down no matter what you say. Not writing anything down means you're not interesting to talk to so you want them to scribble!​

Questions: These are some common ones you're almost guaranteed to get, for a more comprehensive list check out the links below. ANY question is fair game!!
Jot down notes in the weeks before your expected interview date (start in November) on how you would answer them. Only notes!! Do not try to memorize responses because they will sound rehearsed no matter what and if you forget any part and freeze you will look like a fool. Know what topics you want to cover and let the rest fill itself in.
PRACTICE TALKING! Practice ahead of time to learn how to ‘fill in the rest'. Talk over a radio or TV (you won't feel quite as silly talking to yourself and it will get you used to projecting your voice clearly come interview time). Say your response spontaneously at least three different ways; you won't memorize one response and you'll know how to adjust if you don't say it quite how you wanted to because you've done it before!
Do not tell them what you think they want to hear. If your response doesn't align with the rest of your answers, or with your essays especially, they will notice and disregard your answers as not being genuine.
Review your essays because they will ask about them.
Know what you did last summer (and everything before that) because they'll ask you about them. If you don't recognize an activity when asked about it they'll suspect you made it up.

Ø Why do you want to be a vet?
Ø What are your motivations?
Ø What is the difference b/w animal rights and animal welfare?
Ø What other kinds of jobs can you get as a veterinarian?
Ø What might you want to specialize in?
Ø What are some of the best/worst parts of private practice?
Ø Vet school is an intensive, stressful place. How do you deal with lots of pressure?
Ø What are 5 qualities of a great vet?
Ø What is the most challenging class you've ever had and why?
Ø Euthanasia questions, what would you do in a certain situation?
Ø How will your hobbies pertain to your profession?
Ø What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
§ Perfectionism is NOT a strength!
Ø How would you describe yourself?
Ø How do you deal with conflict situations?
Ø What was the last book that you read?
Ø *If you were tied with one other person for the last spot, what would you tell me to convince me that I should pick you over the other person?
Ø Do you have any questions for us?
§ Make sure you do in fact have some!

.http://www.wm.edu/so/prevet/interview.html .
.http://www.piercecollege.edu/faculty/shapirls/Sampleinterviewquestions.html .
.http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/Interviews.html .
.http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/Careers/documents/VetSchoolAdmissionsInterview-PrcaticeQuestions.pdf .

Thank your interviewers for their time and consideration at the conclusion of your interview, regardless of how well you think it went. And ALWAYS write each one a personalized thank you card! They interview hundreds so mention something unique that you discussed during your interview to jog their memory. And they may compare with your other interviewers so don't write them exactly the same. Thank you cards are expected, so even if you don't write them, you can bet everyone else did! Turn them in to the admissions office to be distributed to your interviewers since you don't have addresses.

Final word of advice: RELAX!! You are expected to be nervous; jumbling one or two answers is not the kiss of death. Be yourself and be honest, you've already proven yourself on paper, they want to evaluate your personality and potential as a colleague. Taking a breath before you answer to calm your nerves is fine! Be confident in your abilities, without being arrogant, and convince them why you deserve to be there, the rest will take care of itself. Good luck!

I didn't know that part about the thank-you cards. I never wrote them myself, but now I wonder if I should have.

Last edited:
Here's what A&M has to say about interview preparation. This is pulled from their site so I'm assuming it's written by someone at A&M. A lot of it pertains specifically to interviewing at A&M, however it does have some good general tips.

I didn't know that part about the thank-you cards. I never wrote them myself, but now I wonder if I should have.

Omg, I totally didn't write thank-you cards. I thought it would come across as pushy and trying to play the process by getting extra time to impress the interviewers, you know? Guess I was wrong, lol :laugh: Although, it also didn't really make a difference.

Haha, i always wear skirt suits :laugh:. I've always viewed me in a pants suit as less professional, and less comfortable. Im tall and thin... the pant suits are either too short or too big. And its not as if id wear an immodest skirt-suit.

In regards to behavior questions, please report any posts that you think are asking for medical advice. This includes posts such as asking how to keep your cat from urinating everywhere and which dog training techniques to use. Veterinary behaviorists are your best resource for this type of question. Posts that ask about specific animals are more likely to be closed.Posts on SDN should not be asking for advice on veterinary or pet care advice. Any such threads will be closed or deleted.

Last edited:
If you have a non-specific question about a school, program, or the application process, please try to use the "search" feature at the top of the forum to see if it has been answered in the past. A lot of questions have already been answered so please look before you start a new thread. Really want to re-emphasize using the Search feature.

At the top of the threads is a tool labeled "Search this Forum". If you click that you can put a keyword in to see the many threads where that item was mentioned. Try searching for a general subject (GRE, VMCAS, Volunteering, UCDavis, Experience, interviews, attire, GPA, On-line courses, etc.) and see what you get! You may surprised how much information is already out there.

If you cannot find an exact match, it still would probably be better to add your comment on the end of a related subject so that other members can find similar info in a single place.

Don't forget we all have been, are, or will be going through the same processes so it helps to "bump" an old thread that may contain the wisdom (or folly) of our predecessors.

I swear there used to be a LOT more interviews on there... what happened? Is there a way to still access the old ones? (ahem TwelveTigers- since you're the archive expert ;))

. . . going crazy trying to find this stuff.:scared:

Anyone have an updated link?

Hey Katze....getting in that's awesome! Can I pick your brain...What were your grades like? Classes you took? School you got into? Experience?
Thanks so much

Last edited:
Hi, I was searching through SDN and am having difficulty looking for sample interview questions from the schools. I thought that interview feedback was it but it just shows the results of general questions i.e. how stressful (or not stressful) the interview was... does anyone know where the links to the sample interview questions and/or if it even exists? Thank you!!!

thank you for your reply twelvetigers. Would you mind telling me if this is the correct link: http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=veterinary

I tried looking there but either I am obviously blind, or not looking in the right place. Thank you and happy thanksgiving!

UPDATE: clearly I was momentarily blind... i found it! Thank youuuu!

Thank you for that link. I was wonderig where it was. Great info! I feel so much less stress from reading it

This was an excellent resource! I was able to prepare for what I would be asked and consequently was able to be more relaxed and confident during my interview as opposed to scrambling to recall relevant examples... Thanks to all who have submitted feedback!

Hello All,

I am new to the site and a returning college student. I graduated college almost 10 years ago and want a change. I enrolled in a graduate program and have a 3.8 GPA. It is non-science related but I am going to attend an undergraduate program to complete my prereq courses for Vet school. Can anyone offer me advice on what Vet schools are looking for? I only have about a year of courses to complete, since I already have a B.S. degree but in a different field (non-science related). I know I need hours with a Vet which is why I am going to volunteer at the local animal shelter. But what makes an applicant really stand out? I am an older student, so I am sure that will make me stand out alone.
Any advice and helpful tips would be great!
Thank you all....

D

Hello All,

I am new to the site and a returning college student. I graduated college almost 10 years ago and want a change. I enrolled in a graduate program and have a 3.8 GPA. It is non-science related but I am going to attend an undergraduate program to complete my prereq courses for Vet school. Can anyone offer me advice on what Vet schools are looking for? I only have about a year of courses to complete, since I already have a B.S. degree but in a different field (non-science related). I know I need hours with a Vet which is why I am going to volunteer at the local animal shelter. But what makes an applicant really stand out? I am an older student, so I am sure that will make me stand out alone.
Any advice and helpful tips would be great!
Thank you all....

D

Hi Danes90,

I'm actually a non-traditional student with degrees in a completely different field as well. I'm almost done with pre-reqs/recommended science courses and applied this cycle. I'd be happy to give you some advice if you'd like. I know it can be overwhelming at first when you decide to pursue vet med :) Feel free to PM me with any questions

I am 115 and i'm a sophmore in high school. I don't plan on becoming a vet as a career but I would like to work (or volunteer) as a veterinary assistant through high school, then maybe while I'm in college. So my question is... How should I go about asking for a job/volunteer position at a veterinary office & what do you think of this course (http://www.ed2go.com/online-courses/become-a-veterinary-assistant) do you think it will prepare me for working as a veterinary assistant? Thanks!!!

Don't bother with the course. Go volunteer/shadow at a clinic - just walk in, dressed nice, introduce yourself, and ask about it. Be persistent, but don't pester them. If you do well with shadowing, they may offer you a job at some point. It's a good way to get your foot in the door.

BUT, many places won't allow you to shadow until you are 16 (assuming you meant to say you were 15 and not 115) so you will just have to see.

Don't bother with the course. Go volunteer/shadow at a clinic - just walk in, dressed nice, introduce yourself, and ask about it. Be persistent, but don't pester them. If you do well with shadowing, they may offer you a job at some point. It's a good way to get your foot in the door.

BUT, many places won't allow you to shadow until you are 16 (assuming you meant to say you were 15 and not 115) so you will just have to see.

Yeah I meant to say I'm 15 lol :p . Ok, won't it make them more likely to let you volunteer if you have some kind of certificate? When you say dressed nice what do you mean? Like, polo shirt& khaki's; or just clean jeans and a T-Shirt? Lastly, if they don't offer a job after a while (obviously that's far away) should I ask? Thanks alot for replying!!!

Hi guys,

In Sept. of this year, I started an informal Post Bac one year program to fulfill the remaining pre-reqs: Biochem, Physio, Microbio, 3 Biological UD electives, and re-doing my Organic Chem Lab.

I've registered for the GRE early next year. I've already started studying and am definitely going to aim for a high percentile.

I know I have SO much to do before actually being close to becoming a competitive applicant and applying. I want to tackle on so much (i.e. getting volunteer and experience hours, studying to get a high GRE)

Any advice on how to handle the rough road ahead? I appreciate any kind of constructive feedback!

Last edited:
yeah. Sorry, I thought it was cute. And I love Dr. Cat!

Haha. No big, I was just like, "wait a minute..."

So you know you need to do well in your classes, and you know you should do your best on the GRE, and you know you need to get some valuable vet and animal experience... it seems like you have all the big stuff planned out. So now just take it one step at a time, don't get worn out, and make sure you do a few other (non vet) things that you think are cool. That's about it.

Hello I just joined the forum today :) I'm currently working with my 300 word application essay for RUSVM but i'm having difficulties narrowing down the essay to only 300 words. Does anyone currently accepted to RUSVM have some kind of outline of their essay that I could use as a guide. Thanks!

Hello everyone! I don't know if I am doing this right, I just joined. I am currently a sophomore in college. I just transfered schools, so I will be starting somewhere new this fall for Pre-Vet. I've always wanted to work with animals but I never thought vet school would be an option just because I didn't think I was cut out for it. After my first year, I realized I'm a lot better with science than I originally thought and decided that I should just go for it.

I'm not exactly which direction I want to go. I think I'm mostly leaning towards large animal. I would love to be a zoo vet, but I know those jobs are a dime a dozen.

So I need some advice on what to do next. I have quite a bit of animal experience but none at with a hospital or vet. Obviously working with a vet is a must, but how many hours do they typically like to see? And do students typically do volunteer work with them? Just shadowing?

Here is the experience I already have...

- Summer farm internship (horses, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens)
- Humane society volunteer (dogs)
- Zoo volunteer (hoofstock and giraffes)
- Job at an aquarium
- Birth center volunteer (sheep and goats)
- FFA (small animals, fish and wildlife)

What do you all recommend that I do in addition to what I've already done, plus working with a vet?

I would love to be a zoo vet, but I know those jobs are a dime a dozen.
This isn't really answering your question, but I think you might have a misunderstanding of what "dime a dozen" is. There are very few zoo veterinarian positions available. A dime a dozen is something that is very common. For example, women applying to veterinary school are a dime a dozen. There are a lot of women, and not many men.
(I just wanted to clarify that so that way you didn't accidentally say that wrong in an interview and feel/ look silly).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello I'm new to this and am not sure if this is the right thread for this question so if anyone can answer or direct me to another thread that would be great!
I am applying to vet school and really am aiming for Mizzou being an in state resident especially and really would like any helpful advice as in what they look for most in applications with an average gpa, stats from students accepted there and especially help with my personal statement even from other students not just mizzou but what they talked about how to start and what not to do or put.
Thanks!!!! :)