Welcome to The UTRGV School of Podiatric Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The UTRGV School of Podiatric Medicine will be the 10th Podiatric Medical School in the country. As part of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, the school will open applications for the Podiatry program using the TMDSAS. Applications for the entering class of 2022 will begin soon. Please see the following link for more information about this program and a live webinar on Tuesday, June 14th, 2022, at 11 AM CT:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mixed feelings. Gonna keep my mouth shut.

Surprised they're doing it through TMDSAS.

I also have mixed feelings, but the way I see it is a move forward for this profession. Due to this addition, there may/may not but a residency shortage in the future, but we may also get more competitive, above-avg students between the ten schools. Tx is a big state, and this program being part of the TMDSAS has its benefits. I hope the class size is below 50, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have mixed feelings, but the way I see it is a move forward for this profession. Due to this addition, there may/may not but a residency shortage in the future, but we may also get more competitive, above-avg students between the ten schools. Tx is a big state, and this program being part of the TMDSAS has its benefits. I hope the class size is below 50, though.
My concern is enough quality residency slots.

Agree with your class size assessment.

Doubt I'll apply because of how Texas schools usually are about residency. I echo all the things mentioned above. Also a first class, I'd be very reluctant to apply. The little bit of upper hand pod grads have imo is the reputation of the school and the successes of its graduates.

upperhand regarding the mass amount of myths about podiatry.

Doubt I'll apply because of how Texas schools usually are about residency. I echo all the things mentioned above. Also a first class, I'd be very reluctant to apply. The little bit of upper hand pod grads have imo is the reputation of the school and the successes of its graduates.
I can tell you right now school reputation has no bearing on how well students end up as residents.

Depends on the student almost entirely.

Reactions: 1 users
A few facts from the presentation today: (more details if you watch the Welcome video in the first post)
School website is UTRGV.edu/sopm
School FAFSA code is 003599

The school will be centered in Harlingen, TX, about 40 miles from the MD school in Edinburg, TX.
The two schools will not share faculty nor will their students take classes together.

Inaugural class size will be 40. Up to 10% could be OOS.
You can still apply for EY 2022, with a deadline of July 20. Application is on TMDSAS Portal.
If you had already filled out a TMDSAS 2021-2022 app but didn't match to an MD or DO school, you can add this school.

See the website for pre-reqs. For this very short application cycle, they will waive these things:
1. Letter from a podiatrist
2. 25 hours shadowing a podiatrist
3. The 8 hrs English requirement
4. The Statistics requirement (they mistakenly put 8 hours Statistics on their website)

Guidelines:
Minimum GPA your last 60 hours in college: 3.0, Science GPA 3.2
Minimum MCAT 485
2 letters of evaluation, 1 academic & 1 clinical (MD, DO, or DPM) Next year they want it to be from a DPM.

Interviews:
Will be virtual (Zoom) and you need to have a photo ID handy to hold up to the screen at the beginning "to show that you are you"

That's the basics, go watch the video for all the fine points.
EY 2023 application is also open (on TMDSAS) but you can't have an application in to both years at once.

wysdoc

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I can tell you right now school reputation has no bearing on how well students end up as residents.

Depends on the student almost entirely.
I was mostly trying to say the success of the residents makes the reputation of the school, so if I were a program director I'd chose the grad from a known school than a grad from a new school unless (assuming that was the main diff between the two.)

I was mostly trying to say the success of the residents makes the reputation of the school, so if I were a program director I'd chose the grad from a known school than a grad from a new school unless (assuming that was the main diff between the two.)
Really? And where is your experience as a podiatry residency director coming from?

Cause last I checked, the programs I clerked at really used the month students were there to see which ones they liked- instead of the director relying on school name brand to pick students.
Hell, I even know of programs who cherry picked based on stats and school name- and were subsequently shafted for doing so because their residents were duds.

I am asking you to keep an open mind and not rely on school name brand and hype to pick where you want to go.

You will realize this more in 4th year when you clerk.

Really? And where is your experience as a podiatry residency director coming from?

Cause last I checked, the programs I clerked at really used the month students were there to see which ones they liked- instead of the director relying on school name brand to pick students.
Hell, I even know of programs who cherry picked based on stats and school name- and were subsequently shafted for doing so because their residents were duds.

I am asking you to keep an open mind and not rely on school name brand and hype to pick where you want to go.

You will realize this more in 4th year when you clerk.
Alright alright, chill I was just standing my opinion on the matter. I’m obviously just a student/applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting that they wont be sharing classes with MD students. I would think its better for the profession to have DPM and MD/DO taking classes together.

Interesting that they wont be sharing classes with MD students. I would think its better for the profession to have DPM and MD/DO taking classes together.
The schools are in different cities, the class sizes of each are small, and the focus for DPM especially in the details of anatomy will be different.
I included that point as it was addressed in the video presentation.

The schools are in different cities, the class sizes of each are small, and the focus for DPM especially in the details of anatomy will be different.
Just now read the two articles at the top of the thread. I assume then the choice to have the Pod school in that location was to support the need for pod care in that area?

My comment was not intended to be pessimistic of the school. I just think having pod students taking classes with MD/DO students could improve their understanding of a DPM's qualifications, and possibly reduce the opinion of pods being mid levels. Though my opinion is based mostly from speculation of my shadowing experiences, and what I have read online.

Just now read the two articles at the top of the thread. I assume then the choice to have the Pod school in that location was to support the need for pod care in that area?

My comment was not intended to be pessimistic of the school. I just think having pod students taking classes with MD/DO students could improve their understanding of a DPM's qualifications, and possibly reduce the opinion of pods being mid levels. Though my opinion is based mostly from speculation of my shadowing experiences, and what I have read online.

I understand what you're saying and agree that every DPM program should have an affiliation with either an MD or a DO school. This school was created to fill the gap between the underserved community and foot/ankle care (or at least this is what the founders stated). Also, I have yet to hear anyone call DPMs a midlevel. If you are interested in the field and can see yourself doing foot&ankle for life, then go for it and ignore the stuff you read online. Try to shadow a few DPMs. Good luck!

Just wanted for clarify. As for now 1/3 of DPM programs are in same classes and side by side with DO in first two years of basic science. 1 school share some classes with MD. 1 school has same MD faculty to teach DPM students. DPM students learning full body anatomy and physiology with emphasis on lower extremity. Why? Because in residency, podiatric surgical residents are rotating to IM, EM, Gen Surg, Plastic, ortho, FM, Vascular, trauma, ID etc for 12 months, and functioning just like any MD/DO resident in those services.

Just wanted for clarify. As for now 1/3 of DPM programs are in same classes and side by side with DO in first two years of basic science. 1 school share some classes with MD. 1 school has same MD faculty to teach DPM students. DPM students learning full body anatomy and physiology with emphasis on lower extremity. Why? Because in residency, podiatric surgical residents are rotating to IM, EM, Gen Surg, Plastic, ortho, FM, Vascular, trauma, ID etc for 12 months, and functioning just like any MD/DO resident in those services.
I didn’t know it was common at other schools. Thanks for teaching me something new.
This school doesn’t plan to do it that way, though.

I understand what you're saying and agree that every DPM program should have an affiliation with either an MD or a DO school. This school was created to fill the gap between the underserved community and foot/ankle care (or at least this is what the founders stated). Also, I have yet to hear anyone call DPMs a midlevel. If you are interested in the field and can see yourself doing foot&ankle for life, then go for it and ignore the stuff you read online. Try to shadow a few DPMs. Good luck!
I've always thought of podiatrists as specialty surgeons.

Just to clarify, I was not referring to podiatrists as mid level. I never got the impression that podiatrists were mid level providers while shadowing two separate podiatrists, and during my time shadowing surgery, the other docs were respectful to the podiatrist and it seemed like they all got along fairly well. However, reading posts/comments on various medicine subreddits, people there tend to talk down on anyone that is not MD/DO.

I am starting my first year of pod school in the fall, so not someone coming in to talk down on the profession. Was just commenting on how I thought it was odd that this new program was keeping their DPM and MD students separate. Filling the gap in underserved communities is very important, especially for podiatry, I should have considered that.
These kinds of decisions are sometimes based on politics and money and not necessarily on logic :)
Thanks for your comments

Lets stay focused.

Appreciate attending presence but lets save that for the Student and Attending/Resident forums.

Keep this open for pre-podiatry experiences and questions to this specific school only please.

I admit I’m not super active on SDN anymore, but I am a student attending UTRGV if anyone has any questions I’d be happy to help answer.

How many are in your class? What does your first year look like? Are DPMs teaching?

Anonymous student experience submission:

"27 are in the class due to fast admissions process. Class seats 40. They are all DPM’s teaching us the anatomy and labs. The basic sciences are taught by PhD people in that subject. Immuno has PhD in immunology, Biochem has PhD in Biochem/cell bio etc..The curriculum is block based. They haven’t posted on the SOPM site but if you go to the UTRGV MD school site we are doing same blocks for basic sciences. We have a podiatry only block that runs continuously where we learn podiatry specific lower extremity anatomy, radiography, clinical skills etc"

There are already 160+ applications for 40 seats in class of 2027 and the deadline isn’t until June 2023.

as much as i have some reservations about opening a new school at this time, i really wonder what it being on the TMDAS system will do for visibility of the profession

as much as i have some reservations about opening a new school at this time, i really wonder what it being on the TMDAS system will do for visibility of the profession
The same type of visibility that occurs when DPM programs email spam MD/DO applicants who do not get in.

• Wow
There are already 160+ applications for 40 seats in class of 2027 and the deadline isn’t until June 2023.
Every other school has those same 160 applicants because this is how it works

No you’re 100% wrong. These applicants are nearly all Texans through TMDSAS.

UTRGV doesn’t participate in AACPMAS.

Are you willing to share how many of those 160 applicants will go on to either a) rescinding app or b) interviewing and deferring acceptance.

Thanks in advance for your tremendous transparency sir.

Are you willing to share how many of those 160 applicants will go on to either a) rescinding app or b) interviewing and deferring acceptance.

Thanks in advance for your tremendous transparency sir.

I’m not at UTRGV. I’m at UTHSCSA. But I think this information should be available and when I receive it I will post it.

I also think we should know how many applicants also applied to other podiatry schools via AACPMAS. It will be very few, but while I’m confident UTRGV will not have a negative impact on other schools’ enrollment, I would like to see UTRGV have a positive influence on other schools applications.

Last edited:
Cover of the current issue of APMA News ...

IMG_7329.JPG

The same type of visibility that occurs when DPM programs email spam MD/DO applicants who do not get in.

I am just curious as a future MD/DO applicant: how exactly do DPM programs know who are the unsuccessful MD/DO applicants?

I am just curious as a future MD/DO applicant: how exactly do DPM programs know who are the unsuccessful MD/DO applicants?
Well, you do have to take the MCAT.... Also lots of doctor shadowing but minimal podiatrist shadowing. They also can't talk about why they want to pursue Podiatry.

I personally don’t see it as spam. It’s a profession that deserves to be seen by pre-Medicine students who most likely were not exposed during their undergraduate. How are we supposed to introduce students and grow our profession if they are never exposed 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Dislike
I personally don’t see it as spam. It’s a profession that deserves to be seen by pre-Medicine students who most likely were not exposed during their undergraduate. How are we supposed to introduce students and grow our profession if they are never exposed 🤷🏼‍♀️

Did ABPM send you here?

• Haha