Wellness/Mental Health Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackGirlWhiteCoat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your program have wellness/mental health days? I know some programs do, so I'm trying to collect some policies as examples to have them implemented into our program! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're talking about med school, students get nearly every weekend off, and at most programs students can just not show up to lecture whenever they want, so...

If you're talking about residency, most programs will allot residents one or two days a year for doctor's visits, etc. As far as I know some programs in certain specialties will allot more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then you want to make sure you aren't looking at resident run programs and more so programs where the attending is working there directly/seeing the patients, otherwise taking those sort of days off can be an inconvenience to your colleagues at times. That way at least attending is still there regardless seeing the patients.

I dunno if I would look specifically at that aspect since most jobs in the real world do not have that, and im a psychiatrist and every job I looked at, didn't have those.

ALL programs offer sick days. That's what these are. Take them if you need them.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at programs that have propose-built "wellness half days" that involve giving at least a half day off for the residents to do whatever adulting they need to get done. Typically, it was AM didactics and then you'd get the whole PM off.

Our residency has "personal days." Reasons for which do not need to be disclosed. Must be asked for 1 month in advance.

Co-residents and myself make a point to not ask for these on rotations where coverage is needed if a resident is absent (so we don't just dump our work on our co-residents). We only have a few of these to use per year. Requests may or may not be approved, and require request from program and rotation attending.