WELP NEED HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExtremeBrainTrauma

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to apply this cycle. My stats URM Black Male (home state is MN)

Total Gpa

Science gpa

Research

• 700 hours in cancer lab no pubs or posters just slave work (the good kind tho)
Shadowing -70

Extracurricular

• part of 2 student groups
  • worked full time to support myself and also help parents business during covid (alas **** grades)
Volunteer

• 1000 hours tutoring minority students ( over 4 years)
  • 15ish hours as Covid tester
  • 100ish hours as a youth basketball coach
Clinical

• 1.5 years as a behavior technician and also
  • another 200ish working overseas
MCAT took my first practice test this week got a 505 on Kaplan I will I can get to 510 by april

I’m also currently in a biomedical science master program finished my first semester done with a 3.75
What is a good school list for me and tell me any gaps you see be as brutal as possible! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Keep up the GPA in your grad work, and Study study study for that MCAT. Your score will make a big difference to your school list: 505 would be good for DO and lower-tier MD schools, with other MD schools being “reach”. 510 sets you up for more MD schools, and 515+ would give you a chance just about anywhere. Adcoms understand that working full-time and getting a 4.0 are not always compatible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep up the GPA in your grad work, and Study study study for that MCAT. Your score will make a big difference to your school list: 505 would be good for DO and lower-tier MD schools, with other MD schools being “reach”. 510 sets you up for more MD schools, and 515+ would give you a chance just about anywhere. Adcoms understand that working full-time and getting a 4.0 are not always compatible.
The SMP and good MCAT seals the deal; 3.2 is very much on the low end for GPA and raises some doubts about ability to finish medical school. Many of these, but not all of them, are mitigated by his having to work full time. A 3.75 in an SMP or DIY postbacc plus a good MCAT puts these doubts solidly to rest and makes adcoms know that the low GPAs were caused by having to work full time. As for "a chance just about anywhere"...as a Black man myself, I would not be quite as sanguine about the OP's chances. I'd raise those MCATs by around three points or so, maybe as much as five. FWIW I had a flat 3.6/519 and was basically pack fodder at top 20 schools.

Reactions: 1 user