Were to buy Dissection Kit and Materials?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giuls

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking through the forum, but can't find a thread with this info?

Were do you guys find reasonable priced supplies for vet school?!

I'm breaking my head looking for a dissection kit that includes the essentials and that is less than $200

If someone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a trad student and just recently finished undergrad, try your undergrad school's bookstore.

I bought a $50 dissection kit for a cadaver prosection course that I took in my last semester of undergrad and it's pretty basic but I think it'll work for vet school (scalpel handle, rats tooth forceps, scissors, probe, etc).

If you're a trad student and just recently finished undergrad, try your undergrad school's bookstore.

I bought a $50 dissection kit for a cadaver prosection course that I took in my last semester of undergrad and it's pretty basic but I think it'll work for vet school (scalpel handle, rats tooth forceps, scissors, probe, etc).

That's pretty much everything we needed for our anatomy course. I bought everything piecemeal at a local medical supply shop-- I think it came to $30 with a box of scalpel blades and a box of gloves. They weren't anything fancy, but for dissections they were more than adequate. I also invested in a roll of colored electrical tape so I could label everything as "mine" and a 99 cent pencil case from Staples to keep it all in.

A lot of medical supply shops online will probably have the tools you need if there's no store in your area. Doesnt have to be a veterinary website, any human medical supply place should have them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you checked out your Vet School bookstore yet? Ours were like $20 or $30.

We were given all the tools we needed for anatomy except the blade and gloves, so I'd double check to be sure you need all that stuff before you spend a lot on it!

For serious? 100K in tuition a head and the schools make you buy your own GLOVES??? :eek:

For serious? 100K in tuition a head and the schools make you buy your own GLOVES??? :eek:

Would you rather wear free gloves that fit you poorly, or are made of a material you dont like?

Thank you all for the advise, yeah wee need to get our own tools, gloves everything. There's one in the school library but its 225 the cheapest, i talked to the vet with whom I'm making my practice and he said he was going to order the things that I need... so I'm more relaxed on that part....

I was thinking of buying a tablet to take to class... what are the opinions on this?! I know there was a post (I read it about 3 months ago ) but can't seem to find it....

Again thank you so much for the info!

We get nothing provided for us. No tools, no gloves, no lab coats, no bones of our own, nada, nothing, nil, nanimonai, nicht, rien,

Not even coats?! :/ at least we get one for the white coat ceremony!

allheart,com has inexpensive medical supplies that you could piece wise your kit together with, just make sure you know what you need, as a side if you are still looking for a stethoscope they are about $25-$50 dollars cheeper on that same site then other sites that i have seen.

We get nothing provided for us. No tools, no gloves, no lab coats, no bones of our own, nada, nothing, nil, nanimonai, nicht, rien,

Not till 3rd year and that is not provided by the school itself.

ohhh SOV you sound so bitter :(, I'm still amazed by the amenities provided to us...in a good way. Thanks Newark for keeping my expectations low!

www.drinstruments.com was recommended to us (because our bookstore was so expensive). The kit we were told to get was #10GSM, but to get the #4 scalpel instead of the #3 (i.e. you don't have to get exactly what they have in each kit). You can buy individual tools, tailor your kit to what your school wants, etc.

Btw, we had a very small kit here (scalpel handle, probe, forceps, blades), but the requirements were very specific (special german probe, special sized blades, blah blah blah).

But, people lost instruments and replaced them with cheaper ones, blades ran out and we got completely different sized ones etc. No one checks, no one cares, and it makes no noticeable difference at all. I would say get cheap instruments for dissection and not stress too much on this. It's not art class.

This is basically what I bought. I actually bought some kit with like, 20 different tools in it for $18 (the one in the link is $13ish) but really all I used was:

• Probe (get a good metal one, those plastic ones are ****)
  • Scalpel and blades (get one without an attached blade, as in the link above)
  • Scissors (get ones that actually freaking cut something! No idea how to tell this ahead of time but mine weren't worth a damn)
  • Forceps (thumb and regular)
And that's about it. If you can buy those by themselves, it'll probably cost about $10 or so.

I very, very rarely actually cut things with my scissors. Turns out that my anatomy-strength happened to be really awesome blunt dissecting of little tiny nerves/arteries/veins. Somehow....

www.drinstruments.com was recommended to us (because our bookstore was so expensive). The kit we were told to get was #10GSM, but to get the #4 scalpel instead of the #3 (i.e. you don't have to get exactly what they have in each kit). You can buy individual tools, tailor your kit to what your school wants, etc.

Thank you soo much!