Were you "meant" to do path? quiz...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLUsagar

rock chalk jayhawk
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
bored as hell (trying to find motivation to study for step 2 CK)...and thought it'd be interesting to see what PATH people got on this lil' quiz supposedly to help you decide "what med specialty you'd be best suited for..."

oh well, have fun, and post top few results, wonder if anyone is actually gonna show pathology as #1 selection.

http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/TestStructure.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

Damn dude, that's a long test! Actually I've seen this before I think during second year of med school...this test has been around for quite a while. I think back then it said I should be an orthopod or something. But I shall see now since I've changed quite a bit since then.

well my results are as follows:
radiology 44
urology 43
pathology 43
opthalmology 42

Damn! I should have chosen radiology, apparently...
However, pathology is #2.

Also, it's apparently a good thing that I didn't choose FP or phys med & rehab.

Members don't see this ad :)
you know what? we should also put some of fields at the bottom of our lists as well.

here's mine:

general surgery 33
general internal med 33
cardiology 31
family practice 28 (thank god...i would never do FP)

I protest! This test is culturally biased!

1 radiology 45
2 dermatology 45
3 emergency med 44
4 allergy & immunology 43
5 plastic surgery 43
6 nuclear med 43

I think I said too many times that I like working with people.
I mean, "allergy & immunology"? :(

Path #12 with 40 points, together with Psych and a whole bunch of IM sub-specialties.. ugh!

I am so glad I did not take this test early on in med school. I would've been very confused.

My bottoms:
34 med oncology 37
35 obstetrics/gynecology 36
36 family practice 35

Hey!! Let's try to figure out what we have to say on the test for it to rank Path #1!

My guesses:

"Be comfortable with my own mortality"
"Easy going"
"Visually-oriented"
"Value time off"

deschutes said:
Welcome to our world, where it takes 21 days after your rank order list to find out the beginning of the rest of your life.
:laugh: :laugh:

deschutes said:
Yes, 130 questions is hard in the context of a hangover ;)
I answered 260, since I got annoyed the first time and closed the window. :oops:

I'm not hungover. But, the gentleman who chose to drink his vodka straight may very well be. :smuggrin:

Yesterday was fun. But, I don't plan on drinking that much again anytime soon. My livAh!

1 radiology 48
2 occupational med 48
3 pathology 48
4 preventive med 45
5 thoracic surgery 44
6 general surgery 44

Why were so many of the questions repeated?

Members don't see this ad :)
geddy said:
1 radiology 48
2 occupational med 48
3 pathology 48
4 preventive med 45
5 thoracic surgery 44
6 general surgery 44

Why were so many of the questions repeated?
Some were random repeats. If you answered inconsistently it will ask the questions a 3rd and a 4th time.

bananaface said:
Some were random repeats. If you answered inconsistently it will ask the questions a 3rd and a 4th time.
I thought so - how silly. I couldn't remember what I had answered the last time I saw it!

Any good survey will have repeated questions to see if you're answering consistently. This particular survey may average out the responses you made to a particular repeated question.

AndyMilonakis said:
Any good survey will have repeated questions to see if you're answering consistently. This particular survey may average out the responses you made to a particular repeated question.
I would have expected a good survey to have similar questions that vary in subtle ways but address the same issue, but not verbatim repeats... Good thing I'm not in public health.

1 thoracic surgery 49
2 pathology 49
3 plastic surgery 47
4 neurosurgery 47
5 nephrology 47
6 infectious disease 47
7 pulmonology 46
8 general surgery 46
9 occupational med 45
10 obstetrics/gynecology 45

i spent forever and a day answering them....then waited and waited....then the pager went off and had to close the window....i just assumed they were going to email the results....stupid test :mad:

geddy said:
I would have expected a good survey to have similar questions that vary in subtle ways but address the same issue, but not verbatim repeats... Good thing I'm not in public health.
Or preventative medicine? ;)

I agree with you - the last 30 or so questions had me thinking "You again!"
Apparently the thing really wanted to know if I had many interests outside of medicine. :rolleyes:

1 radiology 46
2 radiology 46
3 neurology 44
4 neurology 44
5 dermatology 42
6 dermatology 42
7 pathology 40
8 pathology 40
9 psychiatry 39

I pasted this directly from the website - why does it repeat itself?

Can a (dis)interested observer go through the test and answer "neutral" (i.e. Option 3) to every question and see what it spits out?

I'd do it myself, but I don't feel up to doing another 130 questions.
Even the Myers-Briggs had only 72!

I took this test previously and it told me path was the field for me. Of course, I already knew this at the time. Can't remember my other top choices, but I think heart surgery was close to the bottom.

I loved the last question (which was never repeated)...it was like, "Oh by the way, you like research?"

:laugh:

I am not sure about that. I was wondering that as well. I think if you say lots about disliking procedures a lot, connecting with patients, etc.

What a nice blast from the past :laugh:. I took this test like 10 times during first year when path would always be number one, followed by allergy/immuno, endo, neuro, and urology in any order. Now...

1 neurology 40
2 allergy & immunology 40
3 pathology 39
4 dermatology 37 :confused:
5 endocrinology 37
6 general internal med 36 :confused: :confused:
7 anesthesiology 36
8 ophthalmology 36
9 radiology 36
10 plastic surgery 36

I'm glad to see Ob/Gyn at the bottom of the list.

hey PFCortex--

i'm surprised you have the attention span to finish any task. so what field did it suggest you do--carrying a clipon change holder and offering services to others? :scared:

alhkim said:
hey PFCortex--

i'm surprised you have the attention span to finish any task. so what field did it suggest you do--carrying a clipon change holder and offering services to others? :scared:

that or rheum.... :smuggrin: