West coast MSK fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Geek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some insight on any of the West Coast MSK fellowship programs? ...so basically CA, OHSU, and UW... Looking to go back home, and I didn't find much recent info in my forum searches.
ie procedure heavy, MR exposure, non-MSK coverage/call, malignant programs (although I don't think there are any), etc etc etc

Anything on specific programs is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know much specifics the Cali programs but can provide some info on the others as a recent applicant.

OHSU: Smaller sized program (4 MSK faculty, 1-2 fellows per year). Fellows alternate weeks between diagnostics and procedures, so roughly half the year is procedures. Offered some spine intervention, which not all places do. From what I could tell, pretty high volume of MR on the diagnostic rotations, up to 25-30 per day. Call is 6 weekends per year of general covering STAT and inpatient X-rays. This can be taken from home with home workstation. There are also ~10 short call shifts per year in the evenings covering non-neuro cross sectional + ED plain films. Staff were all very friendly. I got the impression that the year would be busy if they didn't fill both positions because you'd be covering both the Sarcoma and Rheum weekly conferences. They offered moonlighting at the VA. Also seem to remember they had pretty great vacation allotment (like 31 days PTO).

UW: Recently expanded from 5 to now 8 MSK faculty + up to 3 fellows per year. Perform all of the expected MSK procedures though no spine intervention as that's handled by either neuro or IR. Call schedule was one of the more frequent: q3 weekends. The nice thing was that it is MSK only call, not too busy, usually able to clean up by noon each day and you get academic days pre- and post-call. Think a home workstation was available here too but I can't remember for sure. MR volume was similar to OHSU. Moonlighting on weekend and holidays pays well covering inpatient and ED. Friendly staff and fellows that I met, 2 which stayed on as staff.

Both Portland and Seattle seem like great cities to spend a year or longer.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone provide some insight on any of the West Coast MSK fellowship programs? ...so basically CA, OHSU, and UW... Looking to go back home, and I didn't find much recent info in my forum searches.
ie procedure heavy, MR exposure, non-MSK coverage/call, malignant programs (although I don't think there are any), etc etc etc

Anything on specific programs is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Forget about procedures in MSK. Useless if you want to join private practice.

Go to a place with a decent schedule, minimal abuse and most importantly the city that you want to eventually get a job.

Most fellowships will prepare you for pp and academics. Don't worry.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't know much specifics the Cali programs but can provide some info on the others as a recent applicant.

OHSU: Smaller sized program (4 MSK faculty, 1-2 fellows per year). Fellows alternate weeks between diagnostics and procedures, so roughly half the year is procedures. Offered some spine intervention, which not all places do. From what I could tell, pretty high volume of MR on the diagnostic rotations, up to 25-30 per day. Call is 6 weekends per year of general covering STAT and inpatient X-rays. This can be taken from home with home workstation. There are also ~10 short call shifts per year in the evenings covering non-neuro cross sectional + ED plain films. Staff were all very friendly. I got the impression that the year would be busy if they didn't fill both positions because you'd be covering both the Sarcoma and Rheum weekly conferences. They offered moonlighting at the VA. Also seem to remember they had pretty great vacation allotment (like 31 days PTO).

UW: Recently expanded from 5 to now 8 MSK faculty + up to 3 fellows per year. Perform all of the expected MSK procedures though no spine intervention as that's handled by either neuro or IR. Call schedule was one of the more frequent: q3 weekends. The nice thing was that it is MSK only call, not too busy, usually able to clean up by noon each day and you get academic days pre- and post-call. Think a home workstation was available here too but I can't remember for sure. MR volume was similar to OHSU. Moonlighting on weekend and holidays pays well covering inpatient and ED. Friendly staff and fellows that I met, 2 which stayed on as staff.

Both Portland and Seattle seem like great cities to spend a year or longer.
Forget about procedures in MSK. Useless if you want to join private practice.

Go to a place with a decent schedule, minimal abuse and most importantly the city that you want to eventually get a job.

Most fellowships will prepare you for pp and academics. Don't worry.
Thank you both for the info, very helpful and much appreciated!