West coast program orientations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any information about the philosophy/orientation (in terms of biological/neuro vs. psychodynamic) of any of the west coast programs, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

generally more bio than ny. but many seemed balanced.

generally more bio than ny. but many seemed balanced.

Okay, that's good to know, but what I'm really looking for is specific information with which to distinguish between the various West coast programs.

Does anyone have information that is specific to a particular program regarding its orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear Seattle is very biologically oriented. Oregon seems fairly balanced

My understanding and correct me if I am wrong but from my sources-

UCSD-biologically skewed
UCLA-biolocically skewed
UCI-pretty even
UCD-lots of therapy-pretty much even
Stanford and UCSF-pretty strong and even in both-maybe stanford a little more biological.

That was my info from my PD

My understanding and correct me if I am wrong but from my sources-

UCSD-biologically skewed
UCLA-biolocically skewed
UCI-pretty even
UCD-lots of therapy-pretty much even
Stanford and UCSF-pretty strong and even in both-maybe stanford a little more biological.

That was my info from my PD

i have yet to interview at ucsd but otherwise this is what i have found reg CA but i feel like all of them would give you very good psychotherapy training no doubt.

as far as UW, i believe it is very well rounded and does an excellent job with the psychotherapy. they also have an emphasis on DBT b/c the woman who founded it is there. so i would say they are more even...