West Virginia Residency Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DallasCowboys22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this program? I found this said about it in 2013 on a thread but wanted to see if it's any better?

"I would refute the opinion on WVU. I thought that the program was in really bad shape when I was there this season. The chair/PD just left and an associate PD was promoted to acting PD. The resident survey was so bad that they are on a 2 year cycle. I had several residents and even an attending tell me that their surgery departments were weaker than they had been in the past and that CT cases were going to be harder to get in the future based on a key faculty member that they had lost recently (CT surgeon). I am personally not ranking them and would put them in the same category as LSU Shreveport from what I have read about them. I did not interview at any of the other programs you have listed but just trying to save you from how I perceived WVU."

Members don't see this ad.

Any updates on this program? I found this said about it in 2013 on a thread but wanted to see if it's any better?

"I would refute the opinion on WVU. I thought that the program was in really bad shape when I was there this season. The chair/PD just left and an associate PD was promoted to acting PD. The resident survey was so bad that they are on a 2 year cycle. I had several residents and even an attending tell me that their surgery departments were weaker than they had been in the past and that CT cases were going to be harder to get in the future based on a key faculty member that they had lost recently (CT surgeon). I am personally not ranking them and would put them in the same category as LSU Shreveport from what I have read about them. I did not interview at any of the other programs you have listed but just trying to save you from how I perceived WVU."

Yeah I know nothing about the program but FWIW I get all these emails about job openings and it seems like 50% of them are at WVU.

Maybe that means the department is growing and in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings from West Virginia and thanks for your interest in the program.

We're sorry to see some old information still circulating.

As a gentleman above suggested, we are in fact experiencing tremendous growth and our clinical training has never been stronger. We're a small (18 CA residents), hands-on program with excellent clinical training. This year our graduates will be traveling to Cleveland Clinic and Mt. Sinai for adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology fellowships, 2 will be staying on as faculty, and 2 are returning home to private practice positions. Our cardiothoracic volume was recently boosted by two outside hires (and additional surgeons starting soon) and a brand new Heart and Vascular Institute (HVI) tower scheduled to open between May and June. We're doing plenty of OPCAB, MIDCAB, MitraClip, and we're one of 25 worldwide institutions Tendyne procedure for mitral regurgitation. There are plans to build a pediatric hospital on site near our main facility.

Contrary to past events, we can now boast a 10-year accreditation cycle. Again, our strong point is excellent clinical training. Our residents are happy. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about the program, here or by email.

Best of your luck in these important decisions,
John Bozek, MD
Chief Resident
WVU Anesthesiology

We're sorry to see some old information still circulating.

As a gentleman above suggested, we are in fact experiencing tremendous growth and our clinical training has never been stronger. We're a small (18 CA residents), hands-on program with excellent clinical training. This year our graduates will be traveling to Cleveland Clinic and Mt. Sinai for adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology fellowships, 2 will be staying on as faculty, and 2 are returning home to private practice positions. Our cardiothoracic volume was recently boosted by two outside hires (and additional surgeons starting soon) and a brand new Heart and Vascular Institute (HVI) tower scheduled to open between May and June. We're doing plenty of OPCAB, MIDCAB, MitraClip, and we're one of 25 worldwide institutions Tendyne procedure for mitral regurgitation. There are plans to build a pediatric hospital on site near our main facility.

Contrary to past events, we can now boast a 10-year accreditation cycle. Again, our strong point is excellent clinical training. Our residents are happy. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about the program, here or by email.

Best of your luck in these important decisions,
John Bozek, MD
Chief Resident
WVU Anesthesiology

Do you guys, meaning Anesthesia, do the echo's for the MitralClips/transcatheter valves?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I'll probably be doing an away with your program next summer, and it's definitely going to be well up on my rank list. Are there good moonlighting opportunities for residents?

Do you guys, meaning Anesthesia, do the echo's for the MitralClips/transcatheter valves?
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I'll probably be doing an away with your program next summer, and it's definitely going to be well up on my rank list. Are there good moonlighting opportunities for residents?

Hey just saw this, I am an MS4 at WVU so could reply to the past 2 posts... Yes WVU has moonlighting opportunities and pretty good ones. I believe in the neighborhood of 1K per shift. Also they get a ton of echo experience, many take the basic TEE exam (not required but definitely get numbers to do it if interested and I think they pay for it if you take it and pass).