Western, and Recent Interview Experience.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoStress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone else has decided on attending Western, let us know here! I'd love to meet some of my future classmates.

On a side note, I recently interviewed at CSPM and the main topic of conversation with some first year students ended up being Western's program. The students were bashing the program left to right on the main premise that the curriculum is difficult. A few of these students ended up dropping out of Western and attending CSPM instead. Anyone else encounter these kinds of comments? Not necessarily about Western, but other students dropping out of their original schools and having things to say about it, etc?

I was kind of hoping the students would comment more on CSPM's program instead of ridiculing my thoughts on Western when they decided to ask where I (we) had interviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone else has decided on attending Western, let us know here! I'd love to meet some of my future classmates.

On a side note, I recently interviewed at CSPM and the main topic of conversation with some first year students ended up being Western's program. The students were bashing the program left to right on the main premise that the curriculum is difficult. A few of these students ended up dropping out of Western and attending CSPM instead. Anyone else encounter these kinds of comments? Not necessarily about Western, but other students dropping out of their original schools and having things to say about it, etc?

I was kind of hoping the students would comment more on CSPM's program instead of ridiculing my thoughts on Western when they decided to ask where I (we) had interviewed.

Coincidentally on my interview at Western our tour guides mentioned several classmates that had transferred there due to academic problems and were doing much better there. They concluded that the harder curriculum at Western might not be for everyone. I didn't let it affect my interview day, and neither should you.

Hey guys I just got invited to interview at Western today! What was your experience like? I guess I'm just not sure what to expect really, since this is my first interview. I'm going on November 4th and if you have any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I just got invited to interview at Western today! What was your experience like? I guess I'm just not sure what to expect really, since this is my first interview. I'm going on November 4th and if you have any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

My best advice to you would be to use SDN's interview feedback page at the top of the screen.

Cool! I interviewed at Western on just last week and was pretty impressed! They did the interview first thing and it was pretty laid back the rest of the day actually.. just behavioral questions. I thought the campus was pretty nice and...they had a jack in the box close by... you gotta love the 2 tacos for a buck deal!

So, Western is the first school that I have interviewed at so far. I have to admit, I am sold on taking the classes with the DO students for the first two years (minus the one podiatry class). They also had a decent anatomy lab with a million bodies it seemed like. Anyway, I got accepted! So I am trying to decide if I should show up to the other interviews at NY, Temple and Barry.... My question for you guys, what are the reasons YOU want to go to Western?

When you talked to the students at CSPM, did they seem like slackers or what?

Last edited:
Cool! I interviewed at Western on just last week and was pretty impressed! They did the interview first thing and it was pretty laid back the rest of the day actually.. just behavioral questions. I thought the campus was pretty nice and...they had a jack in the box close by... you gotta love the 2 tacos for a buck deal!

So, Western is the first school that I have interviewed at so far. I have to admit, I am sold on taking the classes with the DO students for the first two years (minus the one podiatry class). They also had a decent anatomy lab with a million bodies it seemed like. Anyway, I got accepted! So I am trying to decide if I should show up to the other interviews at NY, Temple and Barry.... My question for you guys, what are the reasons YOU want to go to Western?

Dude...you need to work on how you phrase your questions. Just sayin.. :laugh:

If you can afford it, go to at least 1 of those places. 1 of 2 things can happen: first, you can decide that other program is for you, and B, you will appreciate Western that much more. Even if you can't afford it, still try and do it. Maybe temple, they at least put you up in a hotel.

I would make sure you notify CSPM of this. These students are doing a great disservice their program and need to be held accountable. If you have no interest in going there, please do it. You don't even need to name names if you don't want anyone to get into trouble, but this is an issue that needs to be addressed by the administration. Very unprofessional.

If you can afford it, go to at least 1 of those places. 1 of 2 things can happen: first, you can decide that other program is for you, and B, you will appreciate Western that much more. Even if you can't afford it, still try and do it. Maybe temple, they at least put you up in a hotel.

Agree with Airbud on this one. Have your options open and visit as many places as you can to make sure you made the best decision for YOU. I know flights, tickets, hotels are very expensive if you add them up but its worth it in the long run.

I would make sure you notify CSPM of this. These students are doing a great disservice their program and need to be held accountable. If you have no interest in going there, please do it. You don't even need to name names if you don't want anyone to get into trouble, but this is an issue that needs to be addressed by the administration. Very unprofessional.

Thanks for the advice. I certainly now plan on commenting about my experience with the students to them as soon as I hear of my admission status. It was very unprofessional indeed.

I would recommend that you interview at another school that may interest you as well, granted that it won't hurt your wallet. I came out of CSPM more appreciative of my first experience at Western. I was surprised and impressed at their program as well, and despite it being brand new, I'm sure the school will be producing some great podiatrists. I loved the location, environment, curriculum, facilities, the dean, faculty, staff, students (they had nothing negative to say about other programs they interviewed in,) etc.! Everyone just seemed truly passionate about medical education.

Anyway, I did get an impression from the CSPM students that the wanted more "free time." As I can recall, one student said, "I can seriously party more here without worrying about studying 24/7." Other paraphrased quotes include, "The integration part of Western's program is seriously a joke," "The professors talk to you like you're supposed to know what they're talking about. I don't know about you, but I wasn't a science major in college," "The smaller class sizes allow us to ask our professors questions during class." (Legit concern.)

In conclusion, these students only experienced a small part of Western's program, so it definitely didn't discourage me. Pod school is not meant to be considered easy by any means. I'm very excited to start pod school at Western! :D

Coincidentally on my interview at Western our tour guides mentioned several classmates that had transferred there due to academic problems and were doing much better there. They concluded that the harder curriculum at Western might not be for everyone. I didn't let it affect my interview day, and neither should you.

Yes, Western did emphasize that their curriculum is on the tougher side during my interview as well. I don't recall them mentioning the students that dropped, but I did notice that their class size in their second and third year are smaller than their cap. (I think they stop at 50?) Anyway, I'm not going to pod school to get in the medical field easy, so difficulty is no concern to me. You get out what effort you put in! Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks for the advice. I certainly now plan on commenting about my experience with the students to them as soon as I hear of my admission status. It was very unprofessional indeed.

Wait I thought CSPM gave admission decisions on the same day of interview? I take it they no longer do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait I thought CSPM gave admission decisions on the same day of interview? I take it they no longer do this?

The assistant director of admissions did mention that they normally do that, but for our group, they didn't have time to review everything to formulate an early decision. I should be notified by tomorrow.

That sounds great! I was kind of worried about walking around all day knowing the interview was coming up. Did they talk a bit more about Vision 2015? The only thing I know about it is what I've read on forums....

Anyway, I did get an impression from the CSPM students that the wanted more "free time." As I can recall, one student said, "I can seriously party more here without worrying about studying 24/7." Other paraphrased quotes include, "The integration part of Western's program is seriously a joke," "The professors talk to you like you're supposed to know what they're talking about. I don't know about you, but I wasn't a science major in college," "The smaller class sizes allow us to ask our professors questions during class." (Legit concern.)

Careful... Dont stoop to their level.

Careful... Dont stoop to their level.

Just quoting the topic of the conversation with the first years. Nothing against the program! Their clinic was very impressive, and I got no such comments from the second and third year students. They were much more neutral and even advised to enter the program that best fits what you find important. That's sort of what I was expecting from the first years as well.

Just quoting the topic of the conversation with the first years. Nothing against the program! Their clinic was very impressive, and I got no such comments from the second and third year students. They were much more neutral and even advised to enter the program that best fits what you find important. That's sort of what I was expecting from the first years as well.

Just be careful with who you call out online for everyone to see. Its a very small profession. You will realize this after you are a couple years in.

Just be careful with who you call out online for everyone to see. Its a very small profession. You will realize this after you are a couple years in.

This is true. Thanks!

No worries,
I'm just pointing it out because I was tracked down once for something I said on here. The school administration went through all my posts until they figured out who I was. If those students you talked to read this thread the chances of them knowing who you are is high. Consequences could be as small as loosing future referrals, or as large of a stretch as preventing someone from getting a residency of choice (as residency directors also comb this site), or nothing at all. But its not worth it in the long run.

I try to keep my nose clean as possible now. Including Facebook.

What they said during interview day was unprofessional though and does reflect poorly on the school.

No worries,
I'm just pointing it out because I was tracked down once for something I said on here. The school administration went through all my posts until they figured out who I was.

Seriously? That's interesting. :scared:

That is too bad that people were complaining about academic difficulty... Don't get me wrong, but I think that is what is going to make our profession become more credible.

Last edited:
I would recommend that you interview at another school that may interest you as well, granted that it won't hurt your wallet. I came out of CSPM more appreciative of my first experience at Western. I was surprised and impressed at their program as well, and despite it being brand new, I'm sure the school will be producing some great podiatrists. I loved the location, environment, curriculum, facilities, the dean, faculty, staff, students (they had nothing negative to say about other programs they interviewed in,) etc.! Everyone just seemed truly passionate about medical education.

Anyway, I did get an impression from the CSPM students that the wanted more "free time." As I can recall, one student said, "I can seriously party more here without worrying about studying 24/7." Other paraphrased quotes include, "The integration part of Western's program is seriously a joke," "The professors talk to you like you're supposed to know what they're talking about. I don't know about you, but I wasn't a science major in college," "The smaller class sizes allow us to ask our professors questions during class." (Legit concern.)b-us

In conclusion, these students only experienced a small part of Western's program, so it definitely didn't discourage me. Pod school is not meant to be considered easy by any means. I'm very excited to start pod school at Western! :D

Thanks No Stress, glad you could follow...it seems AMAprez just couldn't swing it ... "joking". Anyway, I am planning on going to the interview that is scheduled with Temple and IF I get one with DMU, then that too. They are the only programs I applied to that are integrated somewhat with the DO program. (I guess Temple has the same curriculum, same teachers and everything but are separated only due to location, from what I have heard).

I didn't think that would be a selling point, but in the long run it is better for our field. Anyway, probably will be seeing you at WESTERN!!!

Thanks No Stress, glad you could follow...it seems AMAprez just couldn't swing it ... "joking". Anyway, I am planning on going to the interview that is scheduled with Temple and IF I get one with DMU, then that too. They are the only programs I applied to that are integrated somewhat with the DO program. (I guess Temple has the same curriculum, same teachers and everything but are separated only due to location, from what I have heard).

I didn't think that would be a selling point, but in the long run it is better for our field. Anyway, probably will be seeing you at WESTERN!!!

You're such a comedian :thumbup: Oddly enough I actually used to have this name as my AIM screen name since middle school, obviously before I knew what the AMA was. I've gotten asked a bunch of times on here about it. If there was a 'change screen name' feature I'd probably have done it by now.

No problem. :)

I would love for you to share your experiences at the other schools. Hopefully you decide on Western for sure and we can be classmates! I recently got my Western email address! :D Also, one of my close friends just got an interview there for the DO program. I'm just too excited. Lol

I had my first interview at Western a couple weeks ago, and the next day, I got a call from Dr. Harkless (the Dean) regarding my acceptance/scholarship! yay!

I was very impressed with the school, and at this point, I am pretty sold on going to Western. But since I'm still a bit hesitant about the curriculum, I decided to go to one more interview at Arizona this upcoming Monday.

I would love to go to stay in sunny in SoCal, so hopefully, I look forward to seeing you all in Fall 2012!! :)

They want more "free time"? Someone actually said they can party more and don't feel like they have to study 24/7?

Sounds like the same people who will cry about not enough residency positions and how they didn't get one. Seriously??

As I said in a previous post, each school will give you the tools to succeed. The rest is up to you.

As far as being a small profession and being careful what you say goes, PADPM and I are constantly criticized on these forums for our comments to this effect. Glad some of you are realizing we are telling the truth based on our past experiences. Maybe us older guys aren't as crazy as people think!

They want more "free time"? Someone actually said they can party more and don't feel like they have to study 24/7?

Sounds like the same people who will cry about not enough residency positions and how they didn't get one. Seriously??

As I said in a previous post, each school will give you the tools to succeed. The rest is up to you.

As far as being a small profession and being careful what you say goes, PADPM and I are constantly criticized on these forums for our comments to this effect. Glad some of you are realizing we are telling the truth based on our past experiences. Maybe us older guys aren't as crazy as people think!

Thanks for your input. I completely agree that most, if not all, schools will give you everything you need to succeed and the rest is up to the students.

This relates to board pass rates, in my opinion. There is so much weight on a schools reputation based on pass rates when, in reality, there's only so much a school can do to motivate students to study. Am I correct in saying this? Sure, there are factors such as course-load that may play in to overall class scores, but it's really an individual success meter.

In response to being called out by NoStress:
I just wanted to take some time and try to defend myself. i feel like i was misquotes by NoStress. i was one of the students who she interviewed with. She asked for my HONEST opinion and i gave it to her. By no means did i try to make ANY school look bad. i told her BOTH schools had their pros and cons. i dont know where all this "partying" talk came in. my exact words were " the fact that i have taking anatomy before opens up more time for me to study for other classes and relax a little bit on the side." i don't even know where she got partying from that sentence. to be honest, i dont even party or drink, so that is a blatant lie. i interviewed last year and i know the protocol. as a student interviewing and trying to decide which school fits them the best, you wanna hear from the current students on how their experience has been thus far and you want an honest perspective. and i gave her that. If anything NoStress was the one who told me that Western students were bagging on SMU students, which is fine. everybody is entitled to their own opinion. NoStress was the one who asked me to compare the two school and talk about the experience over there and here. all i'm going to say is that ur walking on a thin line here when you try to defame a person or an organization (especially in a public arena). count your blessings that you are one of the lucky people who has sooo many options in front of her and thank God, instead of calling out people who are trying to help you.
Advice for NoStress: if you are going into podiatry then you should have a passion for it and last i recalled you were telling me how you had an interview with a DO school coming up and how podiatry school was your backup. you should never settle in life. yes, i was at western and now im at smu. i had an option to return to western, but i didnt and at end of the day im happy with the choice i made.

I was also one of students who you talked to NoStress and I don't really understand how we were "ridiculing your thoughts on Western." You brought up Western and we gave you our honest thoughts. Is that not the purpose of talking to students during the interview day? The only con we really told you was that you shouldn't be sold on the extra integrated class. Also, saying that Western is an intense program isn't a negative about the school because SMU is just as intense as well (which we also told you). In fact, I'm pretty sure all the schools are equal in intensity despite what you may hear on these forums. We gave you pros and cons for both schools and specifically said numerous times that each has their own strengths and weaknesses and that you have to attend whatever one feels right. It now seems like you were set on Western before you interviewed and just didn't want to hear anything that went against your perception of the school..

Anyways, I wish you the best in your future endeavors and hope that you choose the school that feels right.

In response to being called out by NoStress:
I just wanted to take some time and try to defend myself. i feel like i was misquotes by NoStress. i was one of the students who she interviewed with. She asked for my HONEST opinion and i gave it to her. By no means did i try to make ANY school look bad. i told her BOTH schools had their pros and cons. i dont know where all this "partying" talk came in. my exact words were " the fact that i have taking anatomy before opens up more time for me to study for other classes and relax a little bit on the side." i don't even know where she got partying from that sentence. to be honest, i dont even party or drink, so that is a blatant lie. i interviewed last year and i know the protocol. as a student interviewing and trying to decide which school fits them the best, you wanna hear from the current students on how their experience has been thus far and you want an honest perspective. and i gave her that. If anything NoStress was the one who told me that Western students were bagging on SMU students, which is fine. everybody is entitled to their own opinion. NoStress was the one who asked me to compare the two school and talk about the experience over there and here. all i'm going to say is that ur walking on a thin line here when you try to defame a person or an organization (especially in a public arena). count your blessings that you are one of the lucky people who has sooo many options in front of her and thank God, instead of calling out people who are trying to help you.
Advice for NoStress: if you are going into podiatry then you should have a passion for it and last i recalled you were telling me how you had an interview with a DO school coming up and how podiatry school was your backup. you should never settle in life. yes, i was at western and now im at smu. i had an option to return to western, but i didnt and at end of the day im happy with the choice i made.

I'm glad you're happy with your choice. During my interview at CSPM I was not seeking any opinions about other schools, but you were very willing to add in your input when you asked our group about the other schools we had interviewed in.

My paraphrased quotes are from the best that I can recall from our conversations. If you meant something different, I apologize for misunderstanding.

I did get an interview at a DO school, but for your information, and for those that will be reading this that care enough, I stand by my interest in podiatry and have decided to withdraw ALL of my applications. I don't recall ever saying that podiatry was my backup, but then again, maybe that's what you understood.

I'm excited to start my podiatry curriculum at my school of choice.

Best of luck to you!

I was also one of students who you talked to NoStress and I don't really understand how we were "ridiculing your thoughts on Western." You brought up Western and we gave you our honest thoughts. Is that not the purpose of talking to students during the interview day? The only con we really told you was that you shouldn't be sold on the extra integrated class. Also, saying that Western is an intense program isn't a negative about the school because SMU is just as intense as well (which we also told you). In fact, I'm pretty sure all the schools are equal in intensity despite what you may hear on these forums. We gave you pros and cons for both schools and specifically said numerous times that each has their own strengths and weaknesses and that you have to attend whatever one feels right. It now seems like you were set on Western before you interviewed and just didn't want to hear anything that went against your perception of the school..

Anyways, I wish you the best in your future endeavors and hope that you choose the school that feels right.

The point of meeting with students from any school is to get their input on that very school. You and your friend just happened to also have attended a different school and left for your own personal reasons which should have been kept at that, personal. After all, you are correct in stating that each school will give you the academics required for becoming a podiatrist, some just may differ slightly.

I appreciate the commentary you added, but again, my paraphrased quotes are to the best of my memory, and something that I did not encounter at the other school I interviewed. If you feel that I completely misunderstood your comments, I apologize to you as well. If you think that I wasn't willing to hear anything against my perceptions, I respect your opinion.

Good luck to you and your future endeavors.

And this is why SDN is not as anonymous as you'd think ;)

Last edited:
i help out with the interviews at western, and i have to say that i do hear of a lot of prospective students who have the same story as nostress. cspm seems to have it out for western and if the stories that i've heard from the pre-pods are true, the western bashing is not just limited to the student body.

one pre-pod was actually told he/she wasn't going to get a residency if they went to western.

i'm just passing along what i have frequently heard.....

i help out with the interviews at western, and i have to say that i do hear of a lot of prospective students who have the same story as nostress. cspm seems to have it out for western and if the stories that i've heard from the pre-pods are true, the western bashing is not just limited to the student body.

one pre-pod was actually told he/she wasn't going to get a residency if they went to western.

i'm just passing along what i have frequently heard.....

It's unfortunate that this whole thread has turned into mudslinging in disguise. He said, she said. If you listened to enough people, you'd come out thinking every school has it out for each other.

The truth is that on our interview day, people are trying to sell their school to us, and we will sometimes meet a few people who (either due to loyalty, ignorance, or personal agendas) are willing to exaggerate, stretch the truth, or throw some stones at other schools when making their sales pitch. We should be all smart enough to distinguish the 'sales pitch' from the important facts during our interviews. For example: I've been told (at an anonymous school) that "You'll get higher reimbursements from insurance companies if you graduate from our school". Pretty much everyone in our group did a double take and quietly rolled our eyes when we heard that one :laugh:

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that this whole thread has turned into mudslinging in disguise. He said, she said. If you listened to enough people, you'd come out thinking every school has it out for each other.

The truth is that on our interview day, people are trying to sell their school to us, and we will sometimes meet a few people who (either due to loyalty, ignorance, or personal agendas) are willing to exaggerate, stretch the truth, or even throw stones at other schools in order to make their pitch. We should be all mature enough to separate the 'sales pitch' from the important facts during our interviews. For example: I've been told (at an anonymous school) that "You'll get higher reimbursements from insurance companies if you graduate from our school". Pretty much everyone in our group did a double take and internally rolled our eyes when we heard that one :laugh:

The dean at DMU would kick some butt if he ever found a student or faculty talking anything even remotely negative about another school. I have seen it happen with something that seemed trivial to some.

when i was at western, the first thing they told me was don't believe what people tell you. rumors spread fast at med schools. and this is sooo true. and this is exactly how rumors get passed by "passing along information." personally, im not out to get anyone. as i said, i attended western for a bit. its a really good school and has a great faculty, but that can be said about all the other schools. as far as i know, dr. harkless and dr. jones have been working day and night trying to open up residency spots for their students. i am almost 99% sure all their students will place in some kind of a residency program. no doubt.
and Katrina, as far as school bashing goes.... i was at western as well, i heard plenty of cspm bashing too. so don't think its only one way and everybody is out to get you. its a TWO WAY STREET. and let me tell you... ive been here since august and not once have i heard anything negative about western from any of the students or faculty.
in closing, the main point for this forum is to help each other out and not "call out" people or spread rumors. studentdoctornet is a great asset and we should use it properly.

I'm loving this in state rivalry going on between the California schools.

If only Pod schools had football teams.....

I'm loving this in state rivalry going on between the California schools.

If only Pod schools had football teams.....

Don't get me started on LA not having a NFL team. BUT there is a fabulous baseball rivalry between bay area and so-cal :)

Giants%2Bvs%2BDodgers.png

On a more serious note, there is bound to be some built-in competition because the two schools share the same state, but hardly anything like a 'rivalry'. Plus like a previous poster said, that's not the point of this forum.

Last edited:
Agreed, Air Bud, with every post in this thread.

A lot of the reason I chose DMU was the respect everybody showed me, showed other programs at DMU (DO, DPT, etc) and showed the other DPM programs. There were of course other reasons, but respect is high on my list of important characteristics.

I think he'd roll some heads if he heard bashing of other programs; that's just counterproductive to the advancement of the DPM degree nationwide.

I agree with bobdolerson. I chose Scholl because the students and faculty were among the warmest people I have ever met. The students were very honest about what they thought about their program. Absolutely no bashing on other programs.

From my opinion bashing on schools does absolutely nothing for the profession. We all will be DPMs in a few years no matter where you go.