Western C/O 2017 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fly Racing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get this one started! My top choice!

I'm working on the essays for the supplemental. Has anyone else looked through the essays? Are you putting something vet/career related for the goals questions? At first I thought it meant a goal unrelated to vet med, but rereading it, I think it just means goals besides graduating with a DVM. All of my goals not career focuses are so minor right now; they don't seem worthy of an essay question.

Members don't see this ad.

I am reapplying, this is my third time applying to western. For the goals portion I wrote about raising my family and the role I want to take on in my community. I thought the "essays" were limited to something 200 to 500 words so they shouldn't be too lengthy.

It's Sunday so I can't call and ask today, but does anyone know when transcripts are due? I have late summer classes ending in September that I'm concerned won't be on my transcripts if I send it too soon. I am wondering if there is a final post mark date for transcripts (I don't see any transcripts information on the website). I know an application is not complete if transcripts don't show all the courses that are marked as complete on vmcas, so I don't want to miss either the deadline or that requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's Sunday so I can't call and ask today, but does anyone know when transcripts are due? I have late summer classes ending in September that I'm concerned won't be on my transcripts if I send it too soon. I am wondering if there is a final post mark date for transcripts (I don't see any transcripts information on the website). I know an application is not complete if transcripts don't show all the courses that are marked as complete on vmcas, so I don't want to miss either the deadline or that requirement.

They haven't updated the site yet, but last year transcripts had to be postmarked by the same day as the supplemental app (October 15). This might change, but that's what it was last year.

Good luck, everyone!:luck::luck:

I had a question about the goal essay question too...I don't know if it has to be completely non-vet related or not. Like another poster said, I was planning on mentioning the role I want to have in my community.

They haven't updated the site yet, but last year transcripts had to be postmarked by the same day as the supplemental app (October 15). This might change, but that's what it was last year.

Good luck, everyone!:luck::luck:

Transcripts are, in fact, due in the Admissions Office on or before October 15, 2012 for the Fall 2013 application cycle. Great question and we are glad you asked.

The essay questions within the supplemental application do not need to be profession specific. Be honest and be yourself. This is an opportunity to demonstrate what sets you apart from other applications to the program.

Good luck to all of you!

there required undergraduate GPA is 2.75 (undegraduate and graduate).
does this mean that the both of the GPAs have to be over 2.75 for under and graduate? or does it mean the average of these two

Just chiming in as a fellow Western U applicant! It's my first time applying, and it's been pretty fun coupled with getting ready to graduate with my Bachelors! I fell in love with Western after finding out that they participate in problem based learning. Good luck to everyone!

Hello future DVM students!

You may have received an e-mail this morning notifying you that your application is incomplete. If so, please log into your application at https://banapps.westernu.edu:4443/pls/live8/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon to see what items are missing from your application. Please keep in mind that any materials submitted take approximately 5-7 business days to be reflected as received. You are welcome to e-mail me if you see something outstanding that should have been received more than 7 business days ago.

We look forward to assisting you this season and encourage you to e-mail us directly with any questions or concerns.

Best Wishes,

Karen Lopez
Director of Admissions
[email protected]

Last edited:
there required undergraduate GPA is 2.75 (undegraduate and graduate).
does this mean that the both of the GPAs have to be over 2.75 for under and graduate? or does it mean the average of these two

The minimum overall GPA requirement is a cumulative calculation of both your undergraduate and graduate coursework excluding repeated courses. If you have repeated coursework please be sure to complete and submit the repeated course form with your application.

Karen Lopez
Director of Admissions
[email protected]

Last edited:
I have to make a phone call tomorrow. Apparently my GRE scores were never received, but they were sent on August 31st (I have the confirmation email from the ETS website). Hopefully it'll all work out cause I'd HATE to be out of the running for that =(

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I blind, or did they take down the link to the portal on the website?

Edit: Nevermind! My Internet connection just died.

Last edited:
II here!! So excited. Anyone else with an interview invite?

But YAY for you!!! :) When did you hear?! whens your interview?! ill keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Congrats! I also just got an interview invite.. Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask??

I heard back yesterday and I think I'm going to schedule for January.

I couldn't help but notice in your previous posts that you also applied to medical school as well? What was it like applying to medical school and vet school?!

Congrats! I also just got an interview invite.. Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask??

Congratulations on your interview invite. All questions during the interview process are "behavior-based" questions. Meaning, they are trying to see what kind of person you are and if you will fit in well in PBL curriculum, can work with others in groups, can handle stress, etc. The school likes to pick a diverse group of people that can bring something unique to the table.
Good Luck!

Congratulations on your interview invite. All questions during the interview process are "behavior-based" questions. Meaning, they are trying to see what kind of person you are and if you will fit in well in PBL curriculum, can work with others in groups, can handle stress, etc. The school likes to pick a diverse group of people that can bring something unique to the table.
Good Luck!
Any insight as to when they will be sending more invites??

Congrats to everyone who got an interview invite!

But why does their website say "On-campus interviews of selected applicants are typically held in Pomona late January and early February. Should you be invited to interview, you can expect to hear from us via e-mail in January." ?

Hmm...interesting

Congrats to everyone who got an interview invite!

But why does their website say "On-campus interviews of selected applicants are typically held in Pomona late January and early February. Should you be invited to interview, you can expect to hear from us via e-mail in January." ?

Hmm...interesting

Yeah I wonder that too...and they've sent out invites mid-Dec to early Feb in the past three years.

Did they email or snail mail the invites? I am sad I didn't get one :(

Yeah I wonder that too...and they've sent out invites mid-Dec to early Feb in the past three years.

I believe that this year their first date for interviews is December 15th. So some invites are going out early.

I don't think there is a particular order of when they send out interview invites. If the committee likes your application you will be invited for an interview. So be patient (I know that's asking for a lot) your app might be at the bottom of the pile for some reason. Over the yeaers, they seem to have gone out in waves.

I've told my story here before...I got my interview invite after all the posted interview dates have passed. They ended up adding a couple more dates because they were behind in reviewing apps. This has happened before and I think Western is trying to fix that and get apps reviewed and interviews sent and done with earlier than they have in the past.

I believe that this year their first date for interviews is December 15th. So some invites are going out early.

I don't think there is a particular order of when they send out interview invites. If the committee likes your application you will be invited for an interview. So be patient (I know that's asking for a lot) your app might be at the bottom of the pile for some reason. Over the yeaers, they seem to have gone out in waves.

I've told my story here before...I got my interview invite after all the posted interview dates have passed. They ended up adding a couple more dates because they were behind in reviewing apps. This has happened before and I think Western is trying to fix that and get apps reviewed and interviews sent and done with earlier than they have in the past.
That made me feel a lot better! I read somewhere they were only sending out two waves this year, so I was nervous not to get the first interview date. Thank you so much!

im getting so nervous about not hearing about an interview :( I was really hoping on Western. I keep freaking out wondering if they don't have my correct email address. On yalls application summary, does it have yalls email address listed? Mine doesn't.... ahhhh! come on western! id like an interview....soon :)

im getting so nervous about not hearing about an interview :( I was really hoping on Western. I keep freaking out wondering if they don't have my correct email address. On yalls application summary, does it have yalls email address listed? Mine doesn't.... ahhhh! come on western! id like an interview....soon :)

Might want to hold your horses. I didn't get an interview invite until I believe late December last year. They sort of do it in batches so don't get too upset over not hearing anything.

Yeah I too was bummed out about not receiving an interview invite when a friend told me she received one. However, I found out she applied waaaaay before the deadline. I think when you submit the supplemental has a lot to do with when you get the invites (just speculation of course, hoping someone can verify). Although they receive your VMCAS application, they don't seem to review your application until you submit the supplemental, and of course the application fee. I submitted my supplemental the day of the deadline, so although I am getting nervous, I am still hoping to get one too. Here's hoping for the best for all of us!!:luck::xf:

When did you guys get the "your application is ready for review" email? I got mine November 15th and am trying to figure out if they haven't gotten around to my app yet or if they've put me in the meh pile already.

When did you guys get the "your application is ready for review" email? I got mine November 15th and am trying to figure out if they haven't gotten around to my app yet or if they've put me in the meh pile already.

I never even received that email! Now I'm worried...they had some trouble with obtaining my GRE official scores (somehow they got lost). What does everybody's application status say on the portal?

I also submitted my supplemental on the last day as well..I wonder if there is a correlation.

P.S. I have not had the best experience with applying to Western this year..my "admissions counselor" has not been very helpful. :(

Yeah I too was bummed out about not receiving an interview invite when a friend told me she received one. However, I found out she applied waaaaay before the deadline. I think when you submit the supplemental has a lot to do with when you get the invites (just speculation of course, hoping someone can verify). Although they receive your VMCAS application, they don't seem to review your application until you submit the supplemental, and of course the application fee. I submitted my supplemental the day of the deadline, so although I am getting nervous, I am still hoping to get one too. Here's hoping for the best for all of us!!:luck::xf:

Unless it's changed since last year, I believe they do it in batches based on when you submitted. So the sooner you submit, the earlier you will probably hear.

I spoke to admissions today regarding the email "your application is ready for review" and interviews and here is the info she gave me. I thought I would pass it along so we all get some peace of mind :)

She said all applications are reviewed by a faculty member and there are over 600 applications and only about 200 people reviewing. Therefore, some people's applications are still waiting to be assigned to a faculty member to review. You will receive the email above when your application has been assigned to someone. That is why some people may have not gotten that email yet.

Some faculty members review quickly, others take their time. They then decide if the person should be invited for an interview, needs more consideration, or not for the program this year. There is no method in deciding who's applications get assigned and reviewed first. There will probably be 12 interview dates (the first being 12/15) and we should hear something about the status of our application by mid-January (interview invite, rejection, etc.) so don't worry until then if you don't hear anything, but feel free to check in if you want.

I felt a lot better after speaking to her; I'm hoping this info will help any of you that were kind of stressing. Good luck everyone!! :luck:

Just saw someone add their name to the interview thread under Western. Looks like someone got an interview invite today!! YAY THEM!! :) ....now I'd really like to get an interview email today too! haha

I got one! I got the invite in November, but didn't get it on the interview thread until yesterday. I sent in my supplemental SUPER early so I'm sure there are lots more interviews to go out.

I got one! I got the invite in November, but didn't get it on the interview thread until yesterday. I sent in my supplemental SUPER early so I'm sure there are lots more interviews to go out.

Congrats and good luck! About how early did you send in your supplemental?

I'm not sure exactly but I think it was early September.

Oh, and thank you!

Has anyone NOT got the email that says about your app being in review? I haven't :( Should I call?

I feel like not having received that email is better than if you did. I got that email and they might've already looked at my app and put it in the rejection pile :(

Has anyone NOT got the email that says about your app being in review? I haven't :( Should I call?

I haven't gotten that email yet either

Don't worry about not receiving the "Your application is under review" email yet. I had a minor freakout last week about that when people were posting about it and called the school. I posted their reply in an earlier post..about a week ago.

I spoke to admissions today regarding the email "your application is ready for review" and interviews and here is the info she gave me. I thought I would pass it along so we all get some peace of mind :)

She said all applications are reviewed by a faculty member and there are over 600 applications and only about 200 people reviewing. Therefore, some people's applications are still waiting to be assigned to a faculty member to review. You will receive the email above when your application has been assigned to someone. That is why some people may have not gotten that email yet.

Some faculty members review quickly, others take their time. They then decide if the person should be invited for an interview, needs more consideration, or not for the program this year. There is no method in deciding who's applications get assigned and reviewed first. There will probably be 12 interview dates (the first being 12/15) and we should hear something about the status of our application by mid-January (interview invite, rejection, etc.) so don't worry until then if you don't hear anything, but feel free to check in if you want.

I felt a lot better after speaking to her; I'm hoping this info will help any of you that were kind of stressing. Good luck everyone!! :luck:

Here's the reply...

Received email from Western toady,now to set interview date for Jan :D

Received email from Western toady,now to set interview date for Jan :D

Congrats!! When did you get the notification that your app was ready for review? I'm getting so anxious waiting!! :xf:

So....at what point do y'all think it's not annoying to call and ask about our application if we haven't got the e-mail that our app is in review?? ahhhh getting sooooo nervous!! I REALLY want an interview at Western :) I'm so excited for all the awesome ppl on sdn that have got interviews though!! maybe we will be future classmates?! (yay!)

So....at what point do y'all think it's not annoying to call and ask about our application if we haven't got the e-mail that our app is in review?? ahhhh getting sooooo nervous!! I REALLY want an interview at Western :) I'm so excited for all the awesome ppl on sdn that have got interviews though!! maybe we will be future classmates?! (yay!)

From what I remember last year, some people didn't get application in review letters until January. I received my email yesterday. Last year I didn't get my email until later in December and an interview invite followed a month later in January. I wouldn't start calling yet, there is still plenty of time.