Western/COMP Class of 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronicajay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a class thread for those accepted to COMP 2013!

I was accepted to the NW track...still waiting to hear back on other offers, but would be very happy to attend COMP!

:hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

woo whooooooooooo go western!

woo whooooooooooo go western!

Wooot!! class of 2013! I can say with almost certainty that I will be in this class at Western! I can't say definitely yet but it looks like it'll be that way inevitably.

I still haven't received the actual letter though but this is because of me moving the last two weeks and mails being forwarded, etc...so that letter is floating around somewhere. If I dont' receive it by the end of this week, do you think I should call Natalie again and ask them to send it again?

Members don't see this ad :)
wooohooo western.. i really really love this school...looking forward to meeting u guys!! btw congrats hoang!! go bruins!!

yesterday was a western leaning day in my dmu-western battle. we'll see what today brings! :D

yea zeta? I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a familiar face at Western! :D

What percentage of certainty is everyone about Western being their medical school by next year? I am about 94.32% sure, and after November I might be 100%. haha

yea zeta? I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a familiar face at Western! :D

What percentage of certainty is everyone about Western being their medical school by next year? I am about 94.32% sure, and after November I might be 100%. haha

right now im leaning western

As much as I love western, i probably won't end up there next year :mad:. There are other schools in similar locations that I have enjoyed just as much as I did western that will be about 25K dollars cheaper per year........if i do get accepted to any of those schools i think it would be pretty crazy to turn it down. But if that does happen, I will live vicariously through you all via this thread and facebook group...haha.

Even if I dont get accepted anywhere else, I will have a tough decision with Western, DMU, and Loyola.

As much as I love western, i probably won't end up there next year :mad:. There are other schools in similar locations that I have enjoyed just as much as I did western that will be about 25K dollars cheaper per year........if i do get accepted to any of those schools i think it would be pretty crazy to turn it down. But if that does happen, I will live vicariously through you all via this thread and facebook group...haha.

Even if I dont get accepted anywhere else, I will have a tough decision with Western, DMU, and Loyola.

That's a bummer :(

Then again, I don't know what's going to happen in the next few months for me either. I could still end up changing my mind. For now I can rest happy with the COMP crowd.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha..Actually my interview is next week. But yeah..hope to join you lucky peeps soon enough!

You will! You will! It's Western Groupie Magic!:nod:

not entirely committed, but i'm definitely leaning there... i work at the ucla westwood ER now and i saw a westernu 4th year doing rotations there...i guess that shows that this school has everything i'm looking for.. sunny socal, reputation with some of the best schools especially in CA, and most of all, friendly, welcoming students and faculty.. only downside for me, as w/ yo,u ryserr is the $$$... if i get into utah i can easily save 80,000...we'll c how it goes.. congrats on loyola btw!!:thumbup:

zeta are you committed to western for sure?

You arent alone anymore!!

i'm sure u will sith r... ur gonna charm them at the interview like u did in all your others..western!! western!! western!!:thumbup:

haha..Actually my interview is next week. But yeah..hope to join you lucky peeps soon enough!

not entirely committed, but i'm definitely leaning there... i work at the ucla westwood ER now and i saw a westernu 4th year doing rotations there...i guess that shows that this school has everything i'm looking for.. sunny socal, reputation with some of the best schools especially in CA, and most of all, friendly, welcoming students and faculty.. only downside for me, as w/ yo,u ryserr is the $$$... if i get into utah i can easily save 80,000...we'll c how it goes.. congrats on loyola btw!!:thumbup:

oh cool I didn't know you started working at the Ronald Reagan ER! Are you still with Gerber? hahah

i know that COMP has very high first time pass rates for the boards...but how are the overall scores? average? above average? i realize that scores are highly individual, but i read over on azcom's thread that they also have very high first time pass rates but pretty average scores.

can any current students comment on the actual board prep at western?

they said at the interview that about 60% of comp students took the usmle...any idea how successful usmle test takers were?

Yeah, they said that at the interview, but they kind of glossed over Level 1.

I see. I'll try to ask about Level 1 and USMLE on thursday (if I remember).

Hopefully a current student can chime in?

I see. I'll try to ask about Level 1 and USMLE on thursday (if I remember).

Hopefully a current student can chime in?

Awesome! Thanks!

I believe the Dean said at the beginning of the year that we were 4th overall on COMLEX I out of the 25 or so osteopathic schools, but don't quote me on that. 1st on COMLEX II, as you guys already mentioned.

And, so you guys know, the difference between #1 and #4 is like 1% (98% vs 97% pass rate or something like that).

Don't get hung up on average board scores. Some people will do awesome, so will not. It depends on how YOU prepare. Western definitely gives you all the resources you need to succeed.

I believe the Dean said at the beginning of the year that we were 4th overall on COMLEX I out of the 25 or so osteopathic schools, but don't quote me on that. 1st on COMLEX II, as you guys already mentioned.

And, so you guys know, the difference between #1 and #4 is like 1% (98% vs 97% pass rate or something like that).

Don't get hung up on average board scores. Some people will do awesome, so will not. It depends on how YOU prepare. Western definitely gives you all the resources you need to succeed.

I completely agree that scores are individual...I have been looking for a concrete way to compare some schools. Anyway, I am very confident that Western prepares its students for boards/rotations and on to residency.

Any new members on here? Be sure to join the Facebook group!

:love:

Hey does anyone have any information on what the weekly schedule is like at Western? Perhaps a PDF or Word document you could post? Thanks!:)

I got accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called and asked them because I needed to cancel an expensive interview trip and so they let me know.

I am 90% sure and getting more and more certain by the day...

Awesome! I'm waiting to see the results from a couple of other interviews, but am also feeling pretty solid about COMP. Join us on Facebook if you haven't already?!

Looks like I won't be able to officially be a part of this class thread...I was put on the alternate list. I can't believe that out of the places I interviewed this is the one school that decided not to accept me.

Looks like I won't be able to officially be a part of this class thread...I was put on the alternate list. I can't believe that out of the places I interviewed this is the one school that decided not to accept me.

Don't lose any hope, there's plenty of time left. We're all rooting for you here! :D

Congrats all those who have been accepted and good luck for those waiting to hear back/interview. I am an OMS-I (osteopathic medical student- 1st year) here at COMP and I LOVE it! For those that are going back and forth on which school to chose, if you chose Western you will not be disappointed. While it lacks some of the advantages of a major MD school (ie, teaching hospital), I feel that my education is comprehensive and complete. If you have ANY questions about the school, how to prepare once you have been accepted, the area (don't live in pomona.. its scary!), or anything else, please let me know. I will answer honestly and candidly. Once again, congrats and good luck.

Oh, and for those on the waitlist I understand the angst. I was waitlisted (I interviewed REALLY late in the cycle) but still got in. Once your here it doesn't matter what your MCAT or GPA were, or what school you attended.

Man, this thread has been quiet for almost two months! :sleep:

Where is everybody? :confused:

I guess the party moved over to the facebook group?

haha I guess you're right. :)

Thought I'd pop in here now that I am 100 percent committed. YAH!!!

I just got my acceptance....I'm very excited!:D

Hey everyone, congratulations!!

I hv my interview in few weeks. can you guys tell me how did your interview go?

thanks!

Hey everyone, congratulations!!

I hv my interview in few weeks. can you guys tell me how did your interview go?

thanks!

The interview itself was relaxed. I had three PhD interviewers who were very interested in my research. Check out the interview comments, they will give you the best idea about what to expect.

Good Luck!