Western/COMP interviews 4/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StringerBell

It's the final countdown!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who was present at the Western COMP interview on 4/12?
I met a lot of fun people today!
What did you think of the school, and do you think it's all waitlisting at this point?

oh, and also...Happy Birthday, C.R.! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

how were the interview Stringerbell? Mine will be this coming Monday, Apr 16th. Any suggestion?

I interviewed that day too. The interview was not bad. I actually had two people interviewing me which I thought was unexpected. The questions werent too ethics based. The normal stuff like why osteo. They really grilled me about my applying to MD schools as well which is understandable. The orientation part was long but very informative. Theyre very straightforward and knowledgable. They know how to sell their school thats for sure. I thought the movie in the beginning was a bit much though and the tour could have been more thorough but I suppose its a small school so there isnt much to see. I like that we hear from them in two weeks. But it's a great school and the staff and students seem awesome too!

Oh yeh about the waitlisting part. I was surprised too to hear that there were still open spots left since there was a thread here on how it's all waitlist from now on. So I thought that was encouraging at least to believe. But you know their waitlist is pretty small so there's still hope to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have an interesting tale to tell from my interview day. I flew out that very night, and the girl sitting next to me was carrying a small medical handbook. Turns out, she's a 4th-year from Western, and matched into IM in my hometown, and that's how she ended up on my flight!
I told her I had just interviewed, and it was a really cool coincidence that she ended up sitting next to me. We talked the whole way back, and she was a really good resource for me. Not a lot about the admissions process (which is currently my primary concern, of course) but about her experience at Western, and her different rotations, and the quality of the education she received.
Too bad they can't arrange for MS4's to accompany all of us on our flights home! :)

Hey Stringer, I interviewed at COMP on 04/02, hoping to hear back soon from the adcom. Had a pretty good experience there and I appreciate the fact that the faculty seems very receptive to the input of their student body in terms of their curriculum for one. Anyway, you mentioned that the 4th year talked about her rotations. What did she say about them? i.e. quality, where she did them, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I hope the interviews went well. I was hanging around waiting to go into ECM when you were all waiting for your interviews.

Any questions let me know! I interviewed this time last year and got in, so it happens!

goodluck

the faculty seems very receptive to the input of their student body in terms of their curriculum for one. Anyway, you mentioned that the 4th year talked about her rotations. What did she say about them? i.e. quality, where she did them, etc.

Actually, she also mentioned that the faculty is very receptive, in terms of curriculum, and that the curriculum has changed since she started there, because of student feedback as to what was effective. So, good for that! As for the rotations, she talked about the big county hospitals and that she learned a lot from being in a busy environment. She also said that some of her classmates enjoyed working in the county facilities and matched into county facilities and/or other big hospitals. She was definitely pro-Western and learned a lot by being there. Sorry my examples aren't more specific, but that's kind of just what I remember. :)

Do you know where you stand, in terms of your status, yet, McTufts?

Thanks! I agree that its a good thing that the faculty is constantly listening to the study body and makes adjustments as they deem necessary to facilitate their success. Good to know they're not completely set in their ways when it comes to that. Anyway, I made a mistake when I said I interviewed on 04/02, was actually 04/03. And I don't know what my status is but am hoping to hear back this week. Would be nice as I could then cancel a few other late interviews since Western would be my first choice. Is it yours?

04/03 - I don't know what my status is but am hoping to hear back this week. Would be nice as I could then cancel a few other late interviews since Western would be my first choice. Is it yours?

Not exactly sure what my first choice is, at this point. I have a couple of waitlists that I have to consider, and financial aid packages to look at, if those schools ever decide to come through. Western definitely has its advantages and disadvantages, but I would be very happy going there.

Of course, one of these advantages is the ability to stay in California. I'm basically a lifer. ;)