Western/COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at COMP next week, and I truly would prefer to go to this school over any other. However I am a bit worried about the fact that I have not had the chance to see any oseopathic physicians in practice(I have only spoke to DO's over the phone). so during the interview when I am faced with questions like have you ever shadowed a DO, or tell me about OMM, or Osteopathic Medicine, I am afraid that the fact that I have very little interaction with DO's will considerably hurt me.
I can add that I have considerable extracurricular experience outside of the above, and I truly want to be a physician and my experiences show that.
However, if anyone can comment on my concerns, or give me anyother advice about what other questions or how to better prepare for my upcoming interview, I would really appreciate it.
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SB,

Congrats on your interview. The best thing I can think of is to be truely honest with them if they ask you. Remember that these committee folks have been doing this for years so don't try to create a perfect picture for them. They will sniff you out quickly & it will only hurt you.

If they ask you about osteopathy, tell them that you didn't have very much success shadowing a DO, but you did your homework & research into the field of osteopathy (I hope)

I was in the same position like you when I interviewed at COMP & considering that I came from the islands it was very hard for me to locate a DO to shadow. I did find one, but he was a radiologist who doesn't use his OMT skills. He was very enthusiastic about being a DO & that inspired me more.

I believe the only question I remember them asking me concerning osteopathy was whether I had applied to both MD & DO. Again, be honest!! Actually, the interview at COMP was the most relaxing compared to the other med schools I had interviewed (ie TUCOM) so don't sweat it too much!! Just the fact that you got an interview is a sign that your chances of getting an acceptance is extremely high.

Good luck to you & maybe I might run into you on campus
smile.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

Rob:
Thank You for your encouraging comments. Eventhough I am from the California originally, I am currently attending graduate school up in boston and there are very few DO's there in boston. I am and I have been doing my research on Osteopathic Medicine by reading Norman Gevitz's "The DO", visiting Osteopathic website's, and preparing for the interview by reading some of the comments on interviewfeedback.com.
I am only applying to Osteopathic schools, and I hope that COMP is as interested in me as I am in their school. I have an interview next tuesday morning so hopefully I will see you.
Sam

Members don't see this ad :)
Sam,

Congrats on getting the interview!!!
I was asked a ton of ethical qustions by a DO interviewer. So make sure you have thought about how you're going to respond to possible controversial issues. i.e. abortion, assisted suicide(mercy killing), HMO's, patient rights...

I suggest that you write down possible questions that may be asked, and answer them on another piece of paper. There are usually no right or wrong answers to those "hot topic" questions but just make sure you support your answers with examples.

Last but not least, JUST BE YOURSELF! Good luck with the interview!

p.s. At the interview, make sure you ask Susan/Cindy how full the current class is. There will also be 2 student guides so that will be a great opportunity for you to ask questions that you're afraid to ask adcom. And don't forget those thank-you cards after the interview.

------------------
DJ
WU/COMP Class of 2004!

Does anyone know of a newsgroup or website that faciliates dicussion of ethical issues?

------------------
Dr NZ
UniOtago MS2