Western Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avelox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, I know Western will be opening a dental school for Fall 09 and obviously it will be a low end dental school but how long does it usually take for a school to get credibility as a good institution in terms of Dentistry and can you guys see it becoming a good school as time goes by?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering, I know Western will be opening a dental school for Fall 09 and obviously it will be a low end dental school but how long does it usually take for a school to get credibility as a good institution in terms of Dentistry and can you guys see it becoming a good school as time goes by?

One's concern as a pre-dental student is to get an acceptance to an accredited dental school, period. I remember a few years ago when I first joined SDN that ASDOH was frequently attacked on these boards... yet today the prevailing attitude seems to be that it is one of the better dental schools out there. I've met with an ASDOH class of '07 member and her fellow GPR residents, and they all expressed their sorrow that they did not apply to ASDOH after hearing about her experiences there.

I fully intend to apply to Western and will not hesitate to attend if it is my only acceptance. Obviously, when one is dealing with multiple acceptances, questions such as the OP's will become more applicable.

I wouldn't call them low end. The applicants will see that there is another choice especially those in California and check it off as a place to apply. You make it sound that everybody who applies there are going to be rejects from somewhere else. They will get an avalanche of applicants seeing that has been a big increase of them over the last few years. People who go there are going to be part of a guinea pig class where the administration will have to fix things on the go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just look at midwestern...the stats weren't bad...

Hmm .... interesting.. i'm not planning on applying to their dental school but I wanna go there for other schooling. I just want to see them build up their other programs too just to make it an overall nicer place :) .. I like that they are springing up a dental program and hope its successful

i'm actually looking forward to having something of an in-state backup school when i apply in 2 years. ASDOH was my original backup, even though it's one state over, but it looks like it's getting all kinds of competitive applicants.

plus, their curriculum looks interesting, although i don't really know why they have renal, reproductive, and endocrine classes. maybe they're gonna stress the "MD" part of "DMD". http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/dentistry/about.xml