Western Governors University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluorescent colors

Reaction score
I am curious if any premeds have been accepted after attending WGU. I'd be surprised if anyone did. But, I have heard of a few getting into law school after getting a degree from here. I think one would need to take their prereqs elsewhere however.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to WGU and graduated. I'm going to another school now though to knock out my pre-req's. My assumption is that no school would accept strictly a WGU degree because you don't graduate with a GPA. While they say you have a 3.0 GPA, that's not true at all and is just an equivalent. The actual GPA calculated for med school apps classify P/F as nothing and most schools don't accept a P/F regardless for pre-req's. Also, the only degree program that would MAYBE meet the requirements would be the BSN program, but even then there's no lab for the basic sciences. Basically, you're right that there's no shot unless you do all of the pre-req's from another school and use that GPA solely. Even then, you'll most likely be able to knock out the total degree during the DIY post-bacc since that's at least 2-3 years of school after WGU.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your response. My half sister graduated from there with a Business Management degree, and she wants to go to med school. So, I suggested that she may need to do a second bachelors degree from another college or university. She wasn't to happy about that. What you mentioned had confirmed my thoughts. Thank you very much for your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually graduated with both my masters and bachelors from WGU and then decided to make a career change. I thought I would need to complete a 'traditional' bachelors, but after reaching out to 11 DO schools regarding my bachelors degree, 9 got back to me (2 never replied) and stated my WGU degree would be accepted as it is regionally accredited. One school suggested I complete 60 science credits prior to applying, which is already in my plan. I'm completing all required & suggested DO pre-reqs at a CC.

Speaking from applicant experience, but not WGU experience, most med schools will require laboratory courses. Outside of the current COVID situation, online prereqs (especially labs) are risky for med school apps. Completing the prereqs at a 4-yr university (or even CC if you must) is a much safer and wiser option.

Reactions: 1 user