Western Kentucky University DPT Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbyslk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying to several DPT schools for the first time. I really want to get into WKU. I understand there was a DPT class that was accepted last year but were pushed to this years applicant pool because the school was unable to get some boards to sign off on it. But they are starting this year. I would like to talk to the students who were accepted or had interviews last year and what there stats were. I am uncertain if my stats are too low.

Degree: B.S. Kinesiology
Undergrad GPA: 3.34
PTCAS GPA: 3.26
GRE scores:
Verbal: 151
Quant: 145
Written: 4.0
Volunteer: outpatient orthopedic clinic (1000hrs), pediatric with school district (50hrs).
Research: I wrote 2 research papers on athletes and geriatrics in my undergrad with the chair of the DPT program at my undergrad university (not WKU). This research was not apart of my undergrad curriculum.

Please give me some insight as to whether or not you think my stats will get me an interview. Thank you. I really appreciate it!! : )

- C

Members don't see this ad.

HI! I was one of the students interviewed last year. I'll tell you right off the bat that we weren't offered any kind of acceptance. About a week after interviews they sent out a letter saying the program would be delayed. Our names went right back into the applicant pool with everyone else. It was definitely a huge bummer but Western is still my number one choice. Your stats are VERY similar to mine so I wouldn't worry too much. I know that as a state school they will give preference to KY residents but I think your chances are good! I really hope to see you there. Good luck!!

Thanks for the response! It was my first time posting. : ) I love this site!

I'm glad to hear they told you a week after interviews. I was thinking they possibly told you too late for some students to accept other schools offers. But glad to hear that wasn't the case.

Ok, I definitely feel more confident about my standing. Thanks!

I also retook the GRE and got quant: 146 (lol darn) verbal: 154. So at least my overall is 300 now. That too makes me feel more confident. 300 just looks better than 296.

Anyway, the only thing I'm worried about now is WKU's accreditation. Let's say we get accepted to start the first DPT class June 2013. Are we technically DPT students, or, because their accreditation is pending, do we only get a DPT degree after the 3 years if CAPTE approves the program? And if CAPTE decides not to grant them accreditation, do we get a MPT instead?

Just want to make sure if I'm getting into debt, it's for a doctorate. Gosh I hope so because I love everything about the school. Have you had these worries yourself? : )

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and interviewed last year as well. Let me know if you have any more questions, I might be able to help. I had a lot of the same concerns last year when I began exploring this program. Best of luck and Lord willing we'll be a Hilltopper in June! Peace and God bless

I was very happy to find some information on WKU, I am considering it as my first choice. What do you think my chances are and how was the interview for everyone? Thanks in Advance! Oh also the only C's I have were chemistry I, biology I, and biology I lab, does this hurt?
Degree: B.S. Health and Human Performance with a Health and pre-physical therapy concentration and minor in pre professional health
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Total prerequisite GPA: 3.2 (Science only gpa: 2.86) (still have Chemistry II, Physics II, and Anatomy&physiology II to take)
GRE scores:
Verbal: 145
Quant: 145
Written: 4.0