Western Prerequisites can't be intro courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ll REVOFEV ll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at the required courses for Western University I realized that it stated that introductory courses do not fulfill the requirements of the school. I guess I was wondering if someone could clarify this for me because the only general chemistry courses that I took are named "introductory chemistry 102 and 104" and they included the lab. So since these courses are title introductory chemistry they don't count? They were just general chemistry courses and I don't see why they shouldn't count towards the requirements. Anybody have experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was looking at the required courses for Western University I realized that it stated that introductory courses do not fulfill the requirements of the school. I guess I was wondering if someone could clarify this for me because the only general chemistry courses that I took are named "introductory chemistry 102 and 104" and they included the lab. So since these courses are title introductory chemistry they don't count? They were just general chemistry courses and I don't see why they shouldn't count towards the requirements. Anybody have experience with this?

does ur school have any course with general chemistry in the title?

if so, then thats the course to take to fulfill the requirmnt

If those aren't the chemistries required of the science majors, then you probably should have taken the science ones. As usual, ask Western now so you don't waste any more money or time if they're not going to accept those.

Members don't see this ad :)
No it doesn't. Those are our general chemistry courses they just aren't titled general chemistry. So since the title doesn't say that they don't count? Our book was even called general chemistry I have it in the other room since I used it to study for the DAT. Maybe I will just have to contact western and explain it to them.

Even our general biology courses are called introductory biology too. I have other courses I can fill those prerequisites with too but looking at my transcript there is introduction to ecology, introduction to genetics, introduction to cell biology......etc. My school needs to change their class titles lol.

If those aren't the chemistries required of the science majors, then you probably should have taken the science ones. As usual, ask Western now so you don't waste any more money or time if they're not going to accept those.

Ya those are the chemistry courses required for the science majors. They are required of chemistry majors and they are required for my chemistry minor. I wouldn't have taken them otherwise.

Ya those are the chemistry courses required for the science majors. They are required of chemistry majors and they are required for my chemistry minor. I wouldn't have taken them otherwise.

sounds like u took the right course to fulfill the req...

just call them to make sure

So you're right. It sounds like the name is just off. Besides calling to verify, it something you could consider putting in this section of the secondary:

This space is provided to allow you to describe any additional
information you would like the Admissions and Selection
Committee to consider or aspects of your application which
you think may seem confusing
or incomplete as they
are stated elsewhere.

You may also use this space to explain factors such as:
1. factors that may have had a negative effect on some aspect
of your academic performance,
2. experience in dentistry,
3. extracurricular/volunteerism/community service, and
4. why you are applying to the Western University of
Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine specifically.
Please limit your comments to one page

I mentioned some other stuff too, but I included something about some courses that had changed titles/numbers making it appear that I hadn't fulfilled requirements.

I mentioned some other stuff too, but I included something about some courses that had changed titles/numbers making it appear that I hadn't fulfilled requirements.

just curious, jeffity....how long was ur essay for that part??

they just don't want you taking survey courses and trying to count them as pre-requisite courses toward dental school

The course content is infinitely more important than the course title if, as you claim, it is a course intended for science majors and does not serve as prerequisite for the real Mccoy.

Last edited:
So you're right. It sounds like the name is just off. Besides calling to verify, it something you could consider putting in this section of the secondary:

Ya......I wish I would have done this prerequisite sheet before I submitted the supplemental application. Kind of too late now. I'll just call them either today or tomorrow to clarify it. Thanks everyone.