Western U/COMP NW track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was a student at Western U/COMP and in particular if they were a NW track student. I am a NW undergrad looking at my options for the upcoming app cycle and wanted to get some opinions about the school and the program if possible. Specifically I was wondering-

-If on the NW track do you choose where you go during 3rd/4th year?

-What Oregon/Washington areas are part of the possible NW locations? Any major hospitals?

-Any specific stats on accepted applicants would be great to!

Members don't see this ad.

I've just been accepted to next year's class (28Q & 3.87GPA) for NW Track, so I don't know much, but I do know that for Washington there are sights in Tacoma, Federal Way & Seattle, and in Oregon there are sights in Portland & Medford (I think, maybe its McMinnville, I always get them confused). I believe that you do get to choose where among these sites you go for the 3rd & 4th year, and I know that there are a required 2 or 3 weeks for everyone in NW Track to meet in Portland. Hope this helps! Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any further questions (I MIGHT know the answer!). Good luck!

I've just been accepted to next year's class (28Q & 3.87GPA) for NW Track, so I don't know much, but I do know that for Washington there are sights in Tacoma, Federal Way & Seattle, and in Oregon there are sights in Portland & Medford (I think, maybe its McMinnville, I always get them confused). I believe that you do get to choose where among these sites you go for the 3rd & 4th year, and I know that there are a required 2 or 3 weeks for everyone in NW Track to meet in Portland. Hope this helps! Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any further questions (I MIGHT know the answer!). Good luck!

Do you know what the average numbers at Western are?...i see u have decent numbers

Members don't see this ad :)
For our class (2010)
Average Science GPA

Average Non-science GPA

Average Overall GPA

Average MCAT Score

As far as track selection is concerned: It basically works like a match process...in the late fall of 2nd year we are presented with several 3rd year rotation 'tracks.' These are specific schedules for the required 3rd year rotations, with all rotations being at one geographic site (with a couple of excpetions.) This year there were the following numbers of tracks in each location: Tacoma (4), Tacoma/Centrallia (4), Portland (5), Corvallis (12), Roseburg (8), Medford (5). Everyone's ranking goes into a computer, which runs some sort of algorithm to try to make everyone happy. Of course, the majority of people this year wanted to go to Portland or Tacoma, so not everyone could be made happy.

There is one elective rotation slot in each track for 3rd year that you can do anywhere...but you CAN'T do EM and one other specialty, which I can't recall at the moment.

4th year is mostly electives, so you can go anywhere you want. There are 3 required rotations that the school will set you up with.

The biggest topic of conversation among my fellow NW trackers is frustration at not being guaranteed to return somewhere near home for 3rd year. While the contract never explicitly stated we were guaranteed, our pre-acceptance conversations with the NW track admin seemed to imply that we would. This is frustrating to some of my 2009 friends who just found out they are in Roseburg, OR for next year...that's so far away from their homes that they might as well have stayed in California, where the rotations are very well developed and in hospitals that have good residency programs!

I do trust that the admin is working hard for us, and that the experience will be a good one, but keep in mind that you aren't guaranteed any particular location, its basically a random process.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that only one class has started NW rotations now...class of 2008. Things changed quite a bit for this year's class, and will certainly change quite a bit for our class and beyond. Also, I highly recommend calling Dirk Foley (the NWT director) directly. He's a great guy and is very willing to answer questions. Ask him all the hard questions you can think of before you sign the contract!

The northwest track sites are all currently along I-5 in Oregon and Washington. None in Idaho, Alaska, or Montana.

Remember, if you are offered admission with the option of doing the northwest track, you don't have to sign up. You will still be accepted into the regular class to do 3rd and 4th year in southern california. For some students, this is a better choice. Like has been said before, the southern california rotations are established and there are a lot of Residencies near LA. The residency options in the northwest, unless you're vying for a FM spot, are at UW and OHSU, two competitive places without many DO's filling resident spots. So it may be in your best interest to choose the SoCal rotations route.

Also remember this interesting fact most of the Northwest track students have just figured out: renting a moving truck from washington state to LA ~ $600, from LA to washington ~ $1600. The move back up to the northwest is going to cost you some money. The move is also going to be at the end of 2nd year when you are busy studying for boards (that big important test you have to pass to continue through med school) and getting ready for your first rotation. The students in SoCal tracks don't have to worry about this, many I've talked to won't move at all.

The reason I accepted the northwest track offer is because I wanted to be closer to my family, rent is cheaper in the northwest (especially in Centralia, Roseburg, and Medford), and SoCal is not my favorite place.

You may be accepted and presented with the option to do the Northwest Track, but understand it is absolutely not necessary to guarantee your admission to Westernu:COMP. Choose it if it's best for you.