Western U COMP under fire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deadseafishing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
tkim6599 said:
That was close to 2 years ago ...

Western U was able to attract my class(2008) which supposedly has the best stats(gpa&mcat) in the school's history despite of some adversity. The bottom line is that no one knows what exactly happened and so far no one is guilty of anything. And our class does kick ass, in stats and in personality. The school is not getting "worse" in any way, shape or form at all, but what we do see and experience are positive improvements for the better. In our daily lives, it is as if none of the adversity has ever been brought up at all.

If the OP doesn't want to apply simply because of that internet discussion thread on SDN, I'm sure he/she is not the only one. But based on what I have seen and experienced, the one that is missing out is not Western U but them. Maybe that's why my class is awesome because this is like a weeding out process. People that make important life decisions purely based on internet hear-say information definitely did not end up in my class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jinyaoysiu said:
Western U was able to attract my class(2008) which supposedly has the best stats(gpa&mcat) in the school's history despite of some adversity. The bottom line is that no one knows what exactly happened and so far no one is guilty of anything. And our class does kick ass, in stats and in personality. The school is not getting "worse" in any way, shape or form at all, but we do see and experience are positive improvements for the better. In our daily lives, it is as if none of the adversity has ever been brought up at all.

If the OP doesn't want to apply simply because of that internet discussion thread on SDN, I'm sure he/she is not the only one. But based on what I have seen and experienced, the one that is missing out is not Western U but them. Maybe that's why my class is awesome because this is like a weeding out process. People that make important life decisions purely based on internet hear-say information definitely did not end up in my class.

Also a member of the 2008 class, I second everything said here. Don't believe everything you read, especially in posts 2+ years old. Even if anything did happen, none of us know about it, and it doesn't effect us as students one bit.

TheFish005 said:
Also a member of the 2008 class, I second everything said here. Don't believe everything you read, especially in posts 2+ years old. Even if anything did happen, none of us know about it, and it doesn't effect us as students one bit.

So what happened since the 2 year old posts? What was the result of the criminal investigation of the university? What were the results of the law suits for wrongfull dismisal? :confused:

CircleTheDrain said:
So what happened since the 2 year old posts? What was the result of the criminal investigation of the university? What were the results of the law suits for wrongfull dismisal? :confused:

I'm sure that those cases are still winding their way through the courts ...

TheFish005 said:
Even if anything did happen, none of us know about it, and it doesn't effect us as students one bit.

It is better to be well informed than ignorant...don't you think? Ask the university administration how much of your tuition they are spending to defend themselves in the courts. Ask them how much of the tuition increase is going to their defense.

This is far from being over. It has not only cost a big chunk of your tuition but has also distracted the university from important matters. If this is not a big deal, I dont know what is.

BME103 said:
It is better to be well informed than ignorant...don't you think? Ask the university administration how much of your tuition they are spending to defend themselves in the courts. Ask them how much of the tuition increase is going to their defense.

This is far from being over. It has not only cost a big chunk of your tuition but has also distracted the university from important matters. If this is not a big deal, I dont know what is.

Long from over? Uh? The Pres was acquitted quite a while ago, I agree with TheFish that these situations DO NOT affect our day-to-day Education. Your education is what you put into it and I have found nothing but support and very good listeners in our administration. I love our school and am happy here. Our class is great at helping each other out and The "Gunners" are among those who HELP the most. Those old threads are long forgotten and we focus on the future and getting better. We have our share of problems, but give me a break, what school doesn't? Do you have any idea how many law suits are pending against UCLA, UCD, and many other universities throughout the US? It's all about perspective and positive attitude... do you think the med students at Harvard were suddenly worried about the quality of their education when the Pres of the University made his recent sexist comments? I'm sure several of them were not pleased. However, it will not affect that they still have the ability within themselves to become GREAT physicians. Western University has its own set of problems, but I've seen progress in the one year I've been here. The Dean listens to students and ACTS on what he hears. If you can point out exactly how this is going to affect my education as a doc, please do so...we can bring it up with the dean through our class officers and he will see to it that we will get the best education possible.

Ryan said:
Long from over? Uh? The Pres was acquitted quite a while ago

The university president has not been acquitted. The investigation is still pending. Please get your facts right before you post.

Universities such as UCSD, UCLA may have lawsuits pending against them but these are huge universities with much stronger financial backbone as compared to Western University. Any lawsuit, in case multiple lawsuits, against Western University can be much more detrimental because Western University is a relatively small university.

How does this affect your education? It is simple. It comes down to money. The money that would have been spent on your education is being diverted to pay for these lawsuits. I challenge you to ask the administration how much they are spending on these lawsuits.

BME103 said:
The university president has not been acquitted. The investigation is still pending. Please get your facts right before you post.

Universities such as UCSD, UCLA may have lawsuits pending against them but these are huge universities with much stronger financial backbone as compared to Western University. Any lawsuit, in case multiple lawsuits, against Western University can be much more detrimental because Western University is a relatively small university.

How does this affect your education? It is simply. It comes down to money. The money that would have been spent on your education is being diverted to pay for these lawsuits. I challenge you to ask the administration how much they are spending on these lawsuits.

I'm definately with you on this one. I was accepted to Western and I want to turn it down. A lot of it has to do with these problems. OF course this affects education! Money gone into stimulator bodies, making the campus look normal, hire good faculty, fire bad faculty, etc. ALL depend on MONEY! The money is leaking through somewhere (uhmmmm the President of the school!) and it does ultimately affect education.

The new dean however is excellent and I have talked to him in regards to making a decision on where to go. If the other problems weren't glooming over COMP, I'd go there. But medical school is hard enough and we don't need any shady business going on. Just try and email one of the admin in the admissions and see how long it takes them to get back to you (if ever). Other schools: 2 - 12 hours. Western: a week - never.

Go figure :rolleyes:

I want to add that this has also affected donations to the university. Who would want to donate money to Western now, knowing that the president has used the university funding as his own piggy bank.

I also want to make it clear that I was never a student at Western University, nor do I have any bitterness toward the university or ever applied to the university for that matter. I just want others to be well informed about the situation before they make life changing decisions.

BME103 said:
I want to add that this has also affected donations to the university. Who would want to donate money to Western now, knowing that the president has used the university funding as his own piggy bank.

I also want to make it clear that I was never a student at Western University, nor do I have any bitterness toward the university. I just want others to be well informed about the situation before they make life changing decisions.

Good thing you pointed out you were never bitter because Jinyaoysiu was about to come and say " You were probably rejected or kicked out so you're bitter". I don't know how he misses such an important factor in Western's future and reputation and discounts it to every negative post made by saying " oh, you're just bitter". As a matter of fact , I am bitter. I'm bitter that I wanted to stay in CA and will most likely turn it down now and MOVE to the east coast because of a corrupt administration. The best part is: They raised the tuition to around $35,000 a year and on a side note they put that they will reimburse students $100 for gym membership bwahahahah. How about investing some of that $2000 x 220 students ($444,000 A YEAR increase ) towards building a gym instead of legal fees and the President's Rolls Royce you crooks! hahahahah. Yeah, I'm bitter that I have to move. ;)

BME103 said:
How does this affect your education? It is simply. It comes down to money. The money that would have been spent on your education is being diverted to pay for these lawsuits. I challenge you to ask the administration how much they are spending on these lawsuits.

Let's just hope that BME103's logic is right, that other DO schools are able to offer a higher quality of education because they were able to spend the money that otherwise would have been spent on one similar lawsuit. I don't know how much Western U is spending on this lawsuit, but come on, this is not an OJ Simpson trial. Let's hope other DO schools are able to at least buy more library computers or something with that money and have that as an "edge" on quality of education over Western. But if you take a look at the matchlists, one really wonders if other DO schools have an "edge" at all. To me, a "dent" seems more likely.

In fact, lots of improvements are happening at Western. For one thing, they are building many more research labs right now. Like I said before, we don't know of anything bad that's going on and nothing is getting worse. But things are indeed getting better. Despite of the improvements at Western, there will still be people who will choose to ignore that fact and worry that they will be missing out from the money spent on the lawsuit. Those people can go to other schools even though there are many other factors in choosing a school, and end up on other matchlists and let's hope they really will end up with better lives than going to Western.

Members don't see this ad :)
superflyDO said:
Good thing you pointed out you were never bitter because Jinyaoysiu was about to come and say " You were probably rejected or kicked out so you're bitter". I don't know how he misses such an important factor in Western's future and reputation and discounts it to every negative post made by saying " oh, you're just bitter". As a matter of fact , I am bitter. I'm bitter that I wanted to stay in CA and will most likely turn it down now and MOVE to the east coast because of a corrupt administration. The best part is: They raised the tuition to around $35,000 a year and on a side note they put that they will reimburse students $100 for gym membership bwahahahah. How about investing some of that $2000 x 220 students ($444,000 A YEAR increase ) towards building a gym instead of legal fees and the President's Rolls Royce you crooks! hahahahah. Yeah, I'm bitter that I have to move. ;)

Wow, it's SuperflyDO again. You stated many times that you were not accepted but I guess you are accepted now somehow. I never said you were rejected thus you're bitter. You were the one that said you weren't accepted and were you bitter? Let people be the judge. They can easily do a search on all of your postings and I would not say bitter because that's an understatement, not to mention emotional and illogical at times. It seems like NYCOM will have the pleasure of having you as a student. Good luck to both you and NYCOM.

Jinyaoysiu said:
Let's just hope that BME103's logic is right, that other DO schools are able to offer a higher quality of education

I never stated that other DO schools can offer a better education. This may or may not be true. Please do not speak for me again. I do not appreciate it.

You are simply trying to downplay the lawsuits. This has to do with much more than just the money; it has to do with the culture of the Western University. That is the fundamental problem, whether you accept it or not.

BME103 said:
I never stated that other DO schools can offer a better education. This may or may not be true. Please do not speak for me. I do not appreciate it.

You are simply trying to downplay the lawsuits. This has to do with much more than just the money; it has to do with the culture of the Western University. That is the fundamental problem, whether you accept it or not.

You never said other DO schools can offer a better education in those exact words, but after you talked about money spent in lawsuits(which you don't know how much) in relationship to quality of education, I went on to define a "better education" in the latter part of the paragraph, which suggested that other schools that are not spending money on a similar lawsuit, could use that money to gain an "edge." I believe that followed your logic on money spent on lawsuit = money not spent on quality.

Hm...I don't think I'm downplaying the lawsuit, especially when it really is that down without me trying to play it. Nothing is affected or getting worse except things are getting better and my classmates concur. Are you trying to up-play it? And this fundamental "culture" problem that you are speaking about, I am a student here and have not noticed any problem of that sort. You are definitely pinpointing a lot of very precisely defined problems when you don't go to school here and especially when no one is guilty of anything yet. Like I said, you have a valid point and there are so many points in choosing a school. People like you that seem to care about the lawsuit point much more than other strengths that Western U might have will end up at other schools, and I sincerely wish everybody to have better lives no matter what schools are chosen based on whatever reasons.

It is obvious that money can directly and indirectly affect the quality of education but I want to make it very clear to you that I never made any comparison. Harvard President Summers' comments on the difference in intelligence between men and women may affect Harvard but that doesn't mean the education at Yale is better than Harvard as a result. It's you who made that kind of assumption. Perhaps you should try to re-read my previous posts before you speak for me. Don't be so defensive because someone is trying to inform others of the situation at Western. What do you have to hide? You can have the last word regarding this matter.

BME103 said:
It is obvious that money can directly and indirectly affect the quality of education but I want to make it very clear to you that I never make any comparison. Harvard President Summers' comments on difference in intelligence between men and women may affect Harvard but that doesn't mean the education at Yale is better than Harvard. It's you who made that kind assumption. .

You said:

BME103 said:
How does this affect your education? It is simply. It comes down to money.

You did not say "how does this affect THE QUALITY OF your education," but quality is the word that is used in measuring education, just like when someone says "how does this affect the water you're drinking", that person means "the QUALITY of water" not the spelling of water, not the texture of water, but the quality.

So yes, you did make a connection between money and quality of education. If I did assume anything at all, I assumed that quality and money have a directly related relationship, i.e. more money = more quality. But if you meant to suggest an inverse relationship, i.e. more money = less quality, then I apologize for making an assumption, and this would have to be a completely new discussion with that inverse relationship.

BME103 said:
Perhaps you should try to re-read my previous posts before you speak for me. Don't be so defensive because someone is trying to inform others of the situation at Western. What do you have to hide? You can have the last word regarding this matter.

Thanks for your suggestion and I will try to sound less "defensive." But maybe I sounded "defensive" to you because someone is on the "offensive" of accusing me to "downplay" when I said I haven't noticed anything getting worse, or all of a sudden pinpointing problems such as "culture." If that person was only trying to "inform," then maybe he wouldn't use emotional comments such as "what do you have to hide?" It gives me the chills because that brings back unpleasant memories when I was trying to logically reason with superflyDO, and got a bunch of emotional slurs like that in return.

Wow...what a heated debate.

Here's my two cents...

I think it's fair to talk about the major situations that affect the university, let the information be out there...and let the individual decide how much merit it deserves in their own decision making process.

I don't know what the possible penalities are, but if they did involve large sums of money I believe it could cripple the school...maybe not right now, but when the case is settled/decided. What are the worst case scenarios and what is liklihood of that occuring? -- this is the question I would want answered.

I would also like to add that, of course, this does not reflect the quality of student at Western nor the faculty nor the staff...but it's still a situation the school must handle.

superflyDO said:
If the other problems weren't glooming over COMP, I'd go there. But medical school is hard enough and we don't need any shady business going on. Just try and email one of the admin in the admissions and see how long it takes them to get back to you (if ever). Other schools: 2 - 12 hours. Western: a week - never.

Wow. Considering that I live almost 1000 miles away from the school, and deal with the administrators in phone calls and emails, I'm sorry to hear you have had such difficulty contacting them. All of my phone calls have been returned within an hour, and my emails within 4 hours...

Oh, and BME, while I appreciate you "informing" the rest of SDN about the goings-on at various schools, I am rather suprised that you felt the need to bump a thread that had been dormant for almost two years... :rolleyes:

I just want it to be known I don't know any of the details other than what's being said here.

I think it's fair to bump the thread if the case is still ongoing. I mean, it was fair for this thread to be discussed two years ago when it first got out...and if it hasn't been resolved then it's still something for students to consider. If it could affect students decisions two years ago with that cloud hanging over the school...and that cloud is still there now.

So does anyone know what the worst case scenario is for the school? I'm not even sure if it is in civil or criminal court. If the worst case scenario was a one million dollar penalty, then I'm sure the school could absorb it without hurting the students..........but if it is a 10-15 million dollar penalty then how could that not affect the students (either with increased tuition or with dwindling budgets for individual departments).

Pooh Chong said:
I just want it to be known I don't know any of the details other than what's being said here.

I think it's fair to bump the thread if the case is still ongoing. I mean, it was fair for this thread to be discussed two years ago when it first got out...and if it hasn't been resolved then it's still something for students to consider. If it could affect students decisions two years ago with that cloud hanging over the school...and that cloud is still there now.

So does anyone know what the worst case scenario is for the school? I'm not even sure if it is in civil or criminal court. If the worst case scenario was a one million dollar penalty, then I'm sure the school could absorb it without hurting the students..........but if it is a 10-15 million dollar penalty then how could that not affect the students (either with increased tuition or with dwindling budgets for individual departments).

Yes 10-15 million dollars would sound terrible. Hey, what not make it 100 - 150 million, because that sounds even more terrible. I think Pooh Chong has
been watching too much TV and is starting to lose touch with reality. A malpractice in a medical lawsuit costs $250,000 here in California, and we are talking about someone's life.

I did a quick goolge and an university that got nailed by the EPA pays .8 millon dollars and it is considered the largest penalty of its kind. http://www.cms.cornell.edu/news/press/press-rhode-island.htm

Like I said, if someone is guilty in this lawsiut, let's hope other DO schools that are not experiencing a similar lawsuit to be able to buy some computers for the library at least to better their education, or maybe even build an actual library to begin with. And let's wish Pooh Chong with his imagination and an outstanding sense of crisis become the best DO that he can.

Don't be ignorant. Do you know how the penalties for civil cases are determined? Just because malpractice is capped (which I take for your own word) that somehow the liability of the school is capped in a similiar manner? That is just plain ignorant. If you don't like the word ignorant...then don't take that tone in your own reply.

I'm asking a fair question, if you don't know the response...why do you respond? I know students who attend your school, and they are fine students.....but the issue is the issue. If you actually think that the money you would be penalized would be "computer" money then that would be a farce. If fined...then your school would get no new computers for a year or two? Mmm...tsk, tsk...

The school in question settled...they did not fully go through with the trial. If they had, it could have been much worse...the reason why they settled instead of risking a higher penalty. Also, it has different parameters....such as the EPA.

Again...........why doesn't anyone JUST answer the question, what is the worst case scenario and how likly is that? No one seems to answer this question.

To say that regardless of what happens to the school...that the student body would feel no effects doesn't make sense. It may or may not, but don't you think you would want to know the details.

"Hugh, who was hired by the university in 1999, was fired in April after he alleged to the state Attorney General and the Internal Revenue Service that Pumerantz and others had engaged in financial practices that Hugh believed to be unethical and a violation of state and federal laws.

He has sued the university for unfair termination, believing he was fired for blowing the whistle on decades of financial improprieties."

So just from the article it looks like there could have been state, federal, and civil lawsuits. How come no one seems to know what happened with each of the different cases?

Jinyaoysiu, the way you responded to me reflects poorly on you...not me.

BME103 said:

How does this affect your education? It is simple. It comes down to money. The money that would have been spent on your education is being diverted to pay for these lawsuits. I challenge you to ask the administration how much they are spending on these lawsuits.

Okay show me proof because I know the lawyer that works for the University and she was very clear that this was over and DONE with. Now I am just taking their word for it, so if you could PM me some proof (or go ahead and post it) that there is still litigation pending I will think I will take my FACTS from someone who is actually working with the University and not from some anonymous poster on an internet forum.

Ryan said:
Okay show me proof because I know the lawyer that works for the University and she was very clear that this was over and DONE with. Now I am just taking their word for it, so if you could PM me some proof (or go ahead and post it) that there is still litigation pending I will think I will take my FACTS from someone who is actually working with the University and not from some anonymous poster on an internet forum.

If the case is indeed over, then no wonder the students don't know about it, because maybe there's no need at all. However, it is apparent that the post from 2 years is still very live and well in some beautiful minds. I think I also made a post about this comment that I'm about to make, why is it that the great majority of the attacks/critiques/or even bitterness come from students that stated themeselves 1)they don't go to school at Western 2)They weren't accepted by Western What is it that brings them together to follow Western U threads religiously and even make long, passionate comments and random numbers??(10 - 15 millions?)

Ryan said:

I would say if it is all clear and DONE with...then this whole entire thing would be a non-issue at the current time for any students thinking of attending Western. And I would agree with those saying this thread did not need to be bumped.

Jinyaoysiu said:
2)They weren't accepted by Western What is it that brings them together to follow Western U threads religiously and even make long, passionate comments and random numbers??(10 - 15 millions?)

I don't follow Western religiously......maybe others, but not me.

Since you are obviously alluding to me...let me say a few things.

I turned down COMP, I did not send in my deposit. Afterwards...months down the road, I got a call from the admissions director and she gave me a second chance to attend COMP. I turned her down the second time as well. I wasn't going to mention this because it has nothing to do with the court case and how it could affect the school...but I will mention it now since you brought it into play. I had an acceptance to both the regular program or the northwest track, I could have chosen either one.

Jinyaoysiu said:
Yes 10-15 million dollars would sound terrible. Hey, what not make it 100 - 150 million, because that sounds even more terrible. I think Pooh Chong has been watching too much TV and is starting to lose touch with reality. A malpractice in a medical lawsuit costs $250,000 here in California, and we are talking about someone's life.

Your comments not only showed how ignorant but also how naive you are as a person. There are at least 3 wrongful termination lawsuits, filed by the former osteopathic dean, vice president and human resources director, against Western University. These wrongful termination lawsuits can be very costly. For example, the Orange County jury awarded $1.7 millions to a former county employee for being wrongfully terminated:

L.A. Times Article

In addition to these wrongful termination lawsuits, the state is also investigating the top administrators, including the university president, for using the university fund as their own piggy bank. These lawsuits are costing the university dearly. This is not only a matter of money, it is also a matter of ethnics. How can the president of the university, who made over $400,000 in 2001, preaches ethnical, moral, and professional behaviors when he breaks them?

Jinyaoysiu, I really hope your comments do not reflect western students as a whole. It is really embarrassing, to say the least.

Pooh Chong said:
Don't be ignorant. Do you know how the penalties for civil cases are determined? Just because malpractice is capped (which I take for your own word) that somehow the liability of the school is capped in a similiar manner? That is just plain ignorant. If you don't like the word ignorant...then don't take that tone in your own reply..

Of course I know there is no cap on civil cases, but I wanted to give out a range of numbers in other lawsuits, including the EPA one, to give people an idea how big a number 10 - 15 million sounds. Maybe it doesn't sound much to you because of all the TV you're watching. But you are right about our legal system, it could be any amount of $, even 100 -150 millon which sounds especially good on an internet forum. You are sitting there throwing numbers around and I actually tried to at least find some numbers online. Maybe you can look into some numbers before throwing numbers around. Here, I found something else that gives you a ballpark of numbers in an similar academic setting http://www.fairmeasures.com/newsletter/archive/summer92.html#BVS92
I'm sure you can find higher numbers for a better effect, and you seem to have the time and motivation to do so as well

Pooh Chong said:
Again...........why doesn't anyone JUST answer the question, what is the worst case scenario and how likly is that? No one seems to answer this question...

Yes someone please answer the question for Pooh Chong and end his angst. He is very very interested. Here, let me do it, the worst case scenario is that the president kils himself and the rest of the school in a rampage, and Western U no more.

Pooh Chong said:
To say that regardless of what happens to the school...that the student body would feel no effects doesn't make sense. It may or may not, but don't you think you would want to know the details.

Hm...I think you should study for MCAT verbal just for fun and to boost your reading comprehension. I don't think I've ever said "regardless of what happens to the school" and I definitely did not say "student body would feel no effects"

What I did say it that the we don't feel its effect if there are effects at all and we see better things happening, and my classmates concur.

BMBiology said:
Jinyaoysiu, I really hope your comments do not reflect western students as a whole. It is really embarrassing, to say the least.

Thank you for showing me more numbers. I agree with your numbers and my post was to Pooh Chong in response to his 10 - 15 million.

If I didn't know about the cap on malpractice, yes you're right I would be naive. And if I were that naive, you hope the rest of western students would not be that naive, which I assure you that your hope is right, they are not.

Even if we were all that naive, so we don't know about the cap on malpractice or specifics on lawsuits, I don't know why you think we would be "really embarrassing, to say the least" I guess you are someone who feels "really embarrassed, to say the least" whenever you don't know a certain piece of information, that's why you also view others that way.

I think it's more embarrasing to throw out numbers, criticize others as "embarrassing" if they were ever "naive," and make these passionate posts about "worst case scenarios," when maybe there is really no lawsuit anymore. Please refer to Ryan's post. If there's anyone that knows the administation or even the AOA well in our class, it would be him.

Civil Jury settlements are often dependent on the value of the defendent...so the actual value one could receive is dependent on the value of the school, to which I do not know. There are cases which it could be 10 million...there are cases where it could be 1 million...but it's dependent on the value of the defendent. So 10 million is too high? Fine, how about 4 million? Is that too high as well?

What is the worst the school could lose - you don't know answer as well as I don't either. I threw out random numbers to get the point that the actual financial damage could either have little or no effect or have a large effect on the school...but that would depend on the actual financial damage itself. What I was wondering was, what is the actual financial damage possible. You didn't get the point, and you seem to be harping on the value I arbitrarily put on the case to attempt to get that point across...as if now I dont' have any credibility...it seems that this is the only thing you keep mentioning while trying to insult me? So if I watch too much TV, then I can no longer carry any logic or carry on an intellectual conversation?

Instead of responding to my general question/concern you attacked me, if you are representative of Western students...then this is the reason why I CHOOSE not to attend. I personally don't believe that though, I do think there are good people at Western...but you do not represent them well.

It's interesting how you prematurely claimed I must be a student who did get into COMP...but dropped it after I stated I was accepted and then called after I declined to see if I still had interest in attending.

You try to paint me as someone passionately trying to prove you wrong...but you are the one looking up sites and posting information that isn't really relevant. Previous civil cases against universities don't necessarily set a standard on how much can be won or lost. So while it is great you went out and found out EPA settlements...they cannot be correlated. Wrong termination and enviromental violations are no where related to each other.

I NEVER claimed to say what the worst case scenario was...but merely asked what it would be.

I already said if the case is over then it's a moot point as the school seems to have absorbed the after effects already......but if not quite over, then there could be still more to come.

Pooh Chong said:
Civil Jury settlements are often dependent on the value of the defendent...so the actual value one could receive is dependent on the value of the school, to which I do not know. There are cases which it could be 10 million...there are cases where it could be 1 million...but it's dependent on the value of the defendent. So 10 million is too high? Fine, how about 4 million? Is that too high as well?

Dude, read Ryan's post. You can sit around and throw numbers around without doing any research all you want, but please read Ryan's post.

Pooh Chong said:
I threw out random numbers to get the point that the actual financial damage could either have little or no effect or have a large effect on the school...but that would depend on the actual financial damage itself. What I was wondering was, what is the actual financial damage possible.
You didn't get the point,

I didn't get the point? I went on to show you websites that contained possible damages in an academic setting while you were "wondering" and throwing out random numbers.

Pooh Chong said:
Instead of responding to my general question/concern you attacked me

I believe I responded to your "general question/concern" and also the specific one, i.e. "worst case scenario" Let me know what other "general question/concern" of yours that's not yet satisfied. If you feel "attacked" because I suggested you watched too much TV, I'm sorry. How about movies? the imagination of yours and a keen sense of crisis must have come from somewhere.

Pooh Chong said:
It's interesting how you prematurely claimed I must be a student who did get into COMP...but dropped it after I stated I was accepted and then called after I declined to see if I still had interest in attending.

Dude, I calimed you MUST be a student who didn't get in??? and then I DROPPED it??? after you stated you were accepted? and then called afer you declined???

What are you talking about??? It sounds like you got some issues. Let's see if I can help... Okay, here we go, I'm very proud of you on your acceptance to Western and I think it is so cool that they called you even after you declined. They must have wanted you really badly and no, you were not going to give them that satisfaction because they did not deserve you.

Dude, besides suggesting you to read Ryan's post, I suggest to you again to boost your reading comprehension. And hope you don't feel attacked by this advice. I seriously think you need it and I think readers of this long butt thread agree.

Jinyaoysiu said:
II think I also made a post about this comment that I'm about to make, why is it that the great majority of the attacks/critiques/or even bitterness come from students that stated themeselves 1)they don't go to school at Western 2)They weren't accepted by Western What is it that brings them together to follow Western U threads religiously and even make long, passionate comments and random numbers??(10 - 15 millions?)

I BELIEVE point number number two was directed to me.

Dude I did read Ryan's post...which why I said it would be a moot point if it were true.

Dude you went out of your way to show lawsuits in an academic setting? Dude, the fact that the defendent is a school is not that big of a deal. Do you think when writing civil law they put a special disclaimer in for universities? Do you think wrongful termination for universities would be different than for a corporation of similar esimated value?

Dude you responded to the worst case scenarios...let me recant...no more new computers or library upgrades...oh, and that the president goes and kills himself....yeah, sounds like a solid answer.

Come on, that is obviously no serious answer. "western u no more" is no more a serious answer either. I don't believe Western will close by any means, but if you think it's possible then 15 million wouldn't even come close to closing it.

Dude, reading comprehension is not something I lack in. I'll take my double digit verbal score, thank you very much.

But you know what.....I think this thread has mostly become a me versus you thread, and it's constructive value has gone down. I'm gonna drop it, if you want to have the last response...that's fine with me.

If I offended you, I'm going to apologize...that was not my intent from the beginning. If it turned into that...then that would be a poor reflection on me.

I also want it to be known that I personally students at Western and I know they will be excellent physicians, nor do I think currently anything at Western is anything but par or better. But if there is any large sum of money owed, and it comes out of Western's pockets...then as a institution serving students directly...it will come to affect the students in some manner. Perhaps tuition or some other manner that will not directly affect the education a student could achieve, but in some way it would. No one seems to know exactly how it would affect the school - why is that? Hopefully no one knows because the legal battles are behind them.

Pooh Chong said:
I BELIEVE point number number two was directed to me.

No point #2 was directed at superflyDO. He and I have had this conversation before. You felt it was directed at you, so you explained yourself once. Nobody challenged your explanation that wasn't needed in the first place. But then you came back again the 2nd time and talked about how I "DROPPED" it after you told me they called you up and you declined blah blah blah. Dude, no one questioned you the first time, why come back and explain yourself the 2nd time? obviously you had some issues.

Pooh Chong said:
Dude you went out of your way to show lawsuits in an academic setting?

Dude, I never said I went out my way, so I don't know where that question came from. Neither did I say you MUST be a rejected student. See, this is what reading comprehension is about.

But I did try to accomodate to your pressing questions and needs. At least I did some research and showed SOMETHING unlike someone who just throws random numbers around and worries about "scenarios."

Pooh Chong said:
Dude you responded to the worst case scenarios...let me recant...no more new computers or library upgrades...oh, and that the president goes and kills himself....yeah, sounds like a solid answer. Come on, that is obviously no serious answer.

Dude, I said "western U no more." Assuming you got into a DO school as well, you could have been bright enough to figure out that worst case scenario yourself.

Assuming it's something you could have figured out yourself, why did you pressingly demand people to conjur up a scenario for you? Were you really THAT curious? Did you really sincerely care about the welfare of Western U THAT much? I spent time to repond because I go here and I care. Why do rejected students and students that don't even go to Western have such passion in Western threads?

This thread has become ridiculous "Dudes". Let the thread DIE!

tkim6599 said:
you guys are killing me. make the pain go away.

pain from studying too much COMLEX ? :D
one more week :scared:

Jinyaoysiu said:
Dude, I said "western U no more."

Dude, that is the quote of the week. When did you guys become surfers?!?! Dude, Western U is under attack!!

Ryan said:

A couple of months ago when I talked to the reporter that wrote the articles, he said the lawsuits and investigation are still pending. If his number is still active, call: (909) 483-9333.