Western U/COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paramedic2617

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

First time posting....

I am will be applying to Western for Fall 06. I am looking to hear some info (the good and the bad) about the school, the application process, the clinicals, and anything else that you've got to offer.

Also, is there anyone going to Western who lives in LA city? (I am from NYC) I plan on living in LA because of the Jewish community there.

Thanks guys,

Herschel

Members don't see this ad.

If you go to the section on interview feedbacks you'll be able to get an idea of what OTHER people think. Just don't forget to decide for yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was there already, but didnt find any information about the school itself. So I'll be waiting for more info :)

Herschel

goodrain said:
If you go to the section on interview feedbacks you'll be able to get an idea of what OTHER people think. Just don't forget to decide for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paramedic2617 said:
Hey all,

First time posting....

I am will be applying to Western for Fall 06. I am looking to hear some info (the good and the bad) about the school, the application process, the clinicals, and anything else that you've got to offer.

Also, is there anyone going to Western who lives in LA city? (I am from NYC) I plan on living in LA because of the Jewish community there.

Thanks guys,

Herschel

Caveat: I am not yet a student there, but I spent a lot of time talking to students there and driving around looking at the area.

As far as I can tell, nobody lives as far out as LA because of the commute. Essentially, that's two hours out of your day, every day, that you can't study or do anything useful for yourself (cook, eat, laundry, sleep, etc.) It sounds like the workload there is big enough that you won't want to lose those precious two hours.

The school is offering a new curriculum this year, which may make the opinions of 2nd-4th years obsolete. From what I can tell, they are trying hard to make the curriculum more integrated and less stressful for the students. They are also trying to offer clinical exposure (through standardized and model patients) as early as possible in the first year, something which they didn't do in the past. There is also a student run community clinic in the area that you can work at.

From what I saw, the campus is not the prettiest, but it isn't ugly either. The interior (i.e. the important parts of the campus) are IMMACULATE. Beautiful lecture halls, anatomy lab, library, etc.

People in the area are quite friendly, much friendlier and engaging in my experience than folks in NYC ;)

Interview and tour were low stress, conversational...the staff was absolutely the friendliest out of any I've met this interview season.

Just for kicks, I drove from the campus to Santa Monica on Saturday morning at 9am. It took 40 minutes, and the traffic wasn't bad. So, you can get to the ocean on the weekend if you like.

Pomona isn't the nicest area, but it certainly isn't a ghetto. Much safer than many parts of NYC. Around Pomona there are a number of nice areas, and many students live in them.

One of the coolest things I saw was that they are building really nice student housing across the street from campus. The place will offer all utilities paid, plus free cable and high speed internet (its on the schools network, so its pretty fast. T1 or something...) It'll have a rooftop deck for hanging out/studying as well as a study hall indoors.

Another thing that I REALLY liked: All the lectures are recorded and available online--both the audio and the powerpoint slides. This means that you don't have to go to most of the lectures, you can listen to the lectures at 2x speed at home and use the remaining time to read/study. I learn much better this way, so I am pretty stoked about it.

Allright, you asleep yet? :sleep:

JakeHarley said:
Caveat: I am not yet a student there, but I spent a lot of time talking to students there and driving around looking at the area.

As far as I can tell, nobody lives as far out as LA because of the commute. Essentially, that's two hours out of your day, every day, that you can't study or do anything useful for yourself (cook, eat, laundry, sleep, etc.) It sounds like the workload there is big enough that you won't want to lose those precious two hours.

The school is offering a new curriculum this year, which may make the opinions of 2nd-4th years obsolete. From what I can tell, they are trying hard to make the curriculum more integrated and less stressful for the students. They are also trying to offer clinical exposure (through standardized and model patients) as early as possible in the first year, something which they didn't do in the past. There is also a student run community clinic in the area that you can work at.

From what I saw, the campus is not the prettiest, but it isn't ugly either. The interior (i.e. the important parts of the campus) are IMMACULATE. Beautiful lecture halls, anatomy lab, library, etc.

People in the area are quite friendly, much friendlier and engaging in my experience than folks in NYC ;)

Interview and tour were low stress, conversational...the staff was absolutely the friendliest out of any I've met this interview season.

Just for kicks, I drove from the campus to Santa Monica on Saturday morning at 9am. It took 40 minutes, and the traffic wasn't bad. So, you can get to the ocean on the weekend if you like.

Pomona isn't the nicest area, but it certainly isn't a ghetto. Much safer than many parts of NYC. Around Pomona there are a number of nice areas, and many students live in them.

One of the coolest things I saw was that they are building really nice student housing across the street from campus. The place will offer all utilities paid, plus free cable and high speed internet (its on the schools network, so its pretty fast. T1 or something...) It'll have a rooftop deck for hanging out/studying as well as a study hall indoors.

Another thing that I REALLY liked: All the lectures are recorded and available online--both the audio and the powerpoint slides. This means that you don't have to go to most of the lectures, you can listen to the lectures at 2x speed at home and use the remaining time to read/study. I learn much better this way, so I am pretty stoked about it.

Allright, you asleep yet? :sleep:

I was just there last week and at the orientation we were informed that if you took the Metrolink from L.A. it could only take about 15-20 minutes to get to campus. Not bad at all. And you could study.

I moved out to closer to school from L.A. to be closer to campus. It's a busy schedule and the last thing I wanted to do was spend 2 hours a day traveling back and forth... I am very glad I moved closeby.

As far as Pomona, it's pretty ghetto but most people don't actually "hang out" in Pomona. It's just go to school and leave back to wherever you go. There are very nice areas nearby.

The new curriculum is pretty awesome. We'll be done with Gross Anatomy next week and then we do Head and Neck for 3 weeks - and that's it. I wouldn't say it is less stressful (we still study all day, everyday) but it's nice to focus on one subject.

The patient interaction and clinical exposure has been great. We have actors and actresses (great ones) every week who act to be patients and we have to work with them. We have already taken a full history and are drawing blood from classmates this week. This early exposure was part of the curriculum change.

The recorded lectures are very helpful. You can virtually not go to class (most of us do anyway) and be fine. It helps though to listen to the lecture over while studying the powerpoints.

So far, it's been an above average experience (not fantastic). I hear more complaints from 3rd and 4th years than from our class and 2nd years. I guess there are some problems that you should PM 3rd year+ from SDN you find. I did that and got very honest replies. I still chose to attend Western due to other positives such as being established, location, etc.

I do highly recommend you find the 3rd years and up and PM them for honest answers. As far as it's first 2 years, so far it looks good.

I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend COMP. The atmosphere is very comfortable; we have a very tight-nit student community. It's not terribly competitve (once you've gotten in). Around test time, emails fly back and forth with people posting and answering questions, and sharing study materials and such. We often get together socially after exams.
Pomona isn't as bad as everyone says it is. I lived about 20 miles away from pomona last year (and my commute was usually around 30 minutes, but sometimes upwards of an hour in the afternoon) because i bought into everyone's opinions of pomona, but this year i moved to pomona and love it. i'm literally 4 blocks from school which cuts down my travel time immensly (and with so cal traffic that's key). I would highly recommend not living in LA. i think an hour each way is a low-ball estimate (and i know you're technically going against traffic). There is a Jewish community on campus, Hillel has a chapter with some very active members. as far as appearance goes, i think we all remember the old addage 'don't judge a book by it's cover.' the surrounding area is not indicitive of the level of education you'll receive; it's how much you put into your own education that really matters.

Hey again,

Thanks for all your responses....keep them coming.

So basically living in LA wont work :( which truthfully isnt bad (but the wife wants to be there)

I am trying to get more info on the curriculum and different sites where clinicals are done in 3rd nd 4th year (cant find anything on their website). Also, about that new housing on campus...when is it going to be done? and will first year student be able to get into them?

TheFish005: would you be able to put me in touch with some of the Hillel people? Do you know if there is Chabad?

If any of the Hillel members are on SDN I hope they will chime in and help you out. I wouldnt feel comfortable posting their email without thier consent. I don't know what Chabad is. The best thing to do is to check out the website (westernu.edu) and find the clubs, there maybe some contact info for members. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

The new appartments will be open in December of this year, so for any incoming first years next year, it will be great (and anyone that wants to the move in the middle of the year). I believe they will have 1, 2 bedrooms and studios, but I'm not sure of that.

I just interviewd, and got it.
Nice school, nice ppl, GREAT dean.
You CAN live in LA but it will be a commute, but against traffic. No jews in Pomona, but in LA yes. Alot of frum ppl.
pomona does suck, kind of feels like mexico, very poor city, most of it.

I am considering it, still cant decide.
I would suggest Florida/Chicago if you are looking for a religious feel like nyc, i am from ny too, nothing, even la compares regarding sheer volume of jewish things/life.

Paramedic2617 said:
Hey again,

Thanks for all your responses....keep them coming.

So basically living in LA wont work :( which truthfully isnt bad (but the wife wants to be there)

Not true. I know plenty of people that commute 30+miles one way to school everyday from Santa Monica, Hollywood, Downtown LA, Orange County, Long Beach.. It's against traffic and not bad if you make yourself lecture CDs/MP3s to listen on the way. All the lectures are recorded and available online.

In fact, I believe the president of Hillel himself lives in Downtown LA and commutes from there.

hope that helps :)
Jiny