-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western U of Health Sciences
Started by utahutesfan
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Scheduled mine for the 15th!!

I'll have to let you know how it goes then.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question!
did you guys send your transcripts to Western?
I submitted both my PTCAS and Supplemental applications to Western but
haven't had a chance to send my transcripts to Western yet.
It is due the 15th and doubt that my transcripts will get to them before 15th.
Would they still look at my application?
I am kind of confused why we need to send them transcripts when we already submitted through PTCAS..
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INTERVIEWS!
did you guys send your transcripts to Western?
I submitted both my PTCAS and Supplemental applications to Western but
haven't had a chance to send my transcripts to Western yet.
It is due the 15th and doubt that my transcripts will get to them before 15th.
Would they still look at my application?
I am kind of confused why we need to send them transcripts when we already submitted through PTCAS..
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INTERVIEWS!
I sent my transcripts with my supplemental app as well. Ya kinda weird being as how they already have it from PTCAS. Hopefully you can get it in by then though. Good luck!
utahutesfan you'll have to let me know how your interview went, give me a heads up on some questions 😛 ha. I sent my transcript into them as soon as i knew i wanted to apply there. My advice would be to send your stuff in ASAP they only interview 160 students according to there website.
I applied there too! Wouldn't it be crazy if we all got accepted?
Are you interviewing there as well? If so, when is your interview?
I also have scheduled my interview for Jan 10th, 2011 I'm excited
I look forward to meeting you then. Are you from Cali?
actually flying from Philadelphia used to live in Los Angeles though can't wait good luck yeah it will be good hopefully for us
I had all my things submitted by mid-oct. I'm flying from philly too.
I hit submit on august 30 and it was sent to the schools on 9-14. I think I sent out my supplemental app a few days later? I can't remember though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
X
Last edited:
Don't worry, I didn't schedule mine until the 14th too, I did that on purpose. If you schedule a little later it allows you more of a chance to make a huge impression haha. I'm flying from Philadelphia, anyone know what the weathers like there?
It was pretty chill for the most part. They said forget everything about physical therapy legislation. They just wanted to know about you personally. I interviewed with two other professors and they are done individually.
What utahutesfan said.
The process starts with giving everyone information about the program, financial aid, etc as a group and then the individual interviews take place after.
Also, be early. I was told to be there by 12:15 but they started talking to us as a group at noon. The email said that was my interview time, but really some people's actual interviews were as late as 3:00.
The process starts with giving everyone information about the program, financial aid, etc as a group and then the individual interviews take place after.
Also, be early. I was told to be there by 12:15 but they started talking to us as a group at noon. The email said that was my interview time, but really some people's actual interviews were as late as 3:00.
I was just there this past Friday for my interview. I have to say, I felt like my questions were a little tougher than I had anticipated but really good interview questions nonetheless. They really do just want to get to know who you are and why it would be a good fit for you to go to Western.
Overall, I liked the school and it's mission. Now all I gotta do is get an acceptance letter!
Overall, I liked the school and it's mission. Now all I gotta do is get an acceptance letter!
Anyone get accepted to Western U? There have only been priority alternates that I have seen about on here.
I had my interview on Jan 14th and got placed on the high priority alternates list on the 21st. Does anyone know the process to get off the list and get an acceptance??
They require transcripts aside from ptcas because their prereq's are different then ptcas
They require transcripts aside from ptcas because their prereq's are different then ptcas
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PTPro1, what were you stats if you don't mind me asking?
University: CSU Long Beach
Major: Kinesiology: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.91
Pre-Req GPA: 3.93
GRE: 410 V; 510 Q; 3.5 AW
Volunteer: 900 outpatient (orthopedics, neuro, geriatric, wound care), 300 outpatient (orthopedic), 50+ hospital inpatient (acute rehab/acute)
Extra-Curric: Foodbank volunteer, Golden Key International Honour Society, ZBT active member
Applied to: CSU Long Beach, Loma Linda, Western University, and Chapman
Acceptances: Western University
Rejections: None
Waitlist: Loma Linda
Waiting on my number one choice (Chapman) to come through. I'm still going to put my deposit down for Western as a backup though.
Just got an update from Karen, looks like they've offered spots to a full class :-🙂
".Our last interview day was today. As of this afternoon we have 16 in the class and 34 offers of acceptance out. Therefore, the class is considered full as of this afternoon. The committee will continue to monitor the class for any movement. Should a candidate withdraw their acceptance or decline or our offer we will begin reviewing the high priority alternate pool.".
".Our last interview day was today. As of this afternoon we have 16 in the class and 34 offers of acceptance out. Therefore, the class is considered full as of this afternoon. The committee will continue to monitor the class for any movement. Should a candidate withdraw their acceptance or decline or our offer we will begin reviewing the high priority alternate pool.".
Hehe yea, I sent in my deposit.
University: UC Berkeley
Major: Public Health, Education minor
Overall GPA: 3.07 (PTCAS calculated, academic update not included)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 570 V 720 A 4.0 W
Extra-Curric: Habitat for Humanity, tutoring, mentoring, facilitated upper division Education course, worked 3 years as a Team Lead at an Occupational Health company
Volunteer: ~200 incl. pediatric, outpatient, inpatient
Applied to: USC, Chapman, Western, UNLV, CSUN, Midwestern (AZ), APU (Spring 2012)
Acceptances: Western
Rejections: None yet
Interviews: Western (1/14), UNLV (declined)
Hey there! I received an acceptance letter in January and sent in my deposit as well. Hope to see you in class. Congrats!
Best regards,
Jennifer
Karen emailed me and it looks like their last interview day is this upcoming Monday. I didn't even know they were interviewing still. I thought interviews were in January when I had mine and February. So far they they have 19 students who have accepted their offer and 31 more they are still waiting for. She said from there they will look at the high priority alternate list if people decide not to attend. However, she said this year the high priority alternate list is a lot larger than previous years. Best of luck to everyone that is on that high priority list.
I just got accepted from the high priority list too!! 😀
University: UC Davis
Did most prereqs at: City College of San Francisco
Major: Japanese, Communications minor
Overall GPA: 3.39 (PTCAS calculated total; undergrad+postbacc)
Core Pre-Req GPA: 3.77
GRE: 480 V, 690 Q, 4.0 AW
Extra-Curric: none listed (I actually have some but I realized I didn't list any on my PTCAS until it was too late O.O)
Volunteer: 109 pediatric outpatient; 41 general inpatient
Applied to: USC, Western, CSUN, CSULB
Acceptances: Western!! (4/14/11)
Waitlisted: USC, CSUN, [was high priority alternate @Western]
Rejections: None yet
Interviews: Western (2/4/11)
So exciting!!
University: UC Davis
Did most prereqs at: City College of San Francisco
Major: Japanese, Communications minor
Overall GPA: 3.39 (PTCAS calculated total; undergrad+postbacc)
Core Pre-Req GPA: 3.77
GRE: 480 V, 690 Q, 4.0 AW
Extra-Curric: none listed (I actually have some but I realized I didn't list any on my PTCAS until it was too late O.O)
Volunteer: 109 pediatric outpatient; 41 general inpatient
Applied to: USC, Western, CSUN, CSULB
Acceptances: Western!! (4/14/11)
Waitlisted: USC, CSUN, [was high priority alternate @Western]
Rejections: None yet
Interviews: Western (2/4/11)
So exciting!!
Not the greatest on paper, but shows why the interview process is so necessary!
University: Nicholls State University
Major: Allied Health Sciences, Pre-Professional Concentration
Overall GPA: 3.3
Core Pre-Req GPA: 3.1
GRE: 380 V, 450 Q, 4.0 AW (proof you don't always need >1000 on this test!!)
Extra-Curric: Women's Basketball team captain 4 years NCAA D1, Volunteer for underprivileged children and their families
Volunteer: 100 (outpatient) 22 (inpatient); 3000+Tech Hours (outpatient private clinic)
Applied to: Western, St. Augustine (SD), UOP, VCU, ODU
Attending: Western
University: Nicholls State University
Major: Allied Health Sciences, Pre-Professional Concentration
Overall GPA: 3.3
Core Pre-Req GPA: 3.1
GRE: 380 V, 450 Q, 4.0 AW (proof you don't always need >1000 on this test!!)
Extra-Curric: Women's Basketball team captain 4 years NCAA D1, Volunteer for underprivileged children and their families
Volunteer: 100 (outpatient) 22 (inpatient); 3000+Tech Hours (outpatient private clinic)
Applied to: Western, St. Augustine (SD), UOP, VCU, ODU
Attending: Western
thanks =) I'm still a bit torn about if I should attend Western or not. Location-wise, I would rather be in Long Beach (if I even get accepted there). But the fact that the CSU's aren't going to have the DPT programs until next year is making it less appealing. I don't know how much that factors into finding a job after graduating, but it'll be bad if I just assume it doesn't matter and regret it later.
And then of course there's the whole cost dynamic that troubles me. Both schools will make me a PT so it's a rough decision. Any advice on these decisions would be great if anyone would like to share =)
@smash2010: I didn't do any follow-up after sending them that letter in the mail saying I accept my position on the high priority alternates list. They said they would review the applications every 2 weeks so I don't think there's much you can do. I did, however, update my observation hours on PTCAS because I was still in the process of completing them. But I'm not sure how much that matters. I was still below the minimum required hours during that update, so it's not that I was suddenly accepted because I completed the hours.
I think at this point it's sort of out of your control. They will probably re-evaluate your application based on what they remember of you and what notes they took down. Since I got the notification last week or so, we can expect the next wave of new acceptances next week (2 weeks gap). They gave me until the 28th to respond so if people withdraw their acceptance then it'll make way for others. I am going to put down my deposit for now ($350).
And then of course there's the whole cost dynamic that troubles me. Both schools will make me a PT so it's a rough decision. Any advice on these decisions would be great if anyone would like to share =)
@smash2010: I didn't do any follow-up after sending them that letter in the mail saying I accept my position on the high priority alternates list. They said they would review the applications every 2 weeks so I don't think there's much you can do. I did, however, update my observation hours on PTCAS because I was still in the process of completing them. But I'm not sure how much that matters. I was still below the minimum required hours during that update, so it's not that I was suddenly accepted because I completed the hours.
I think at this point it's sort of out of your control. They will probably re-evaluate your application based on what they remember of you and what notes they took down. Since I got the notification last week or so, we can expect the next wave of new acceptances next week (2 weeks gap). They gave me until the 28th to respond so if people withdraw their acceptance then it'll make way for others. I am going to put down my deposit for now ($350).
Just curious to know if anyone had the opportunity to meet any current students in the program. My interview was on a Saturday and my only regret is I didn't get a chance to meet with current students and pick their brains. I would really like to know their opinions, likes and dislikes about the program. If anyone has a clue please fill me in. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i was able to speak to two of the current students because they showed us around for the campus tour. we were also able to ask some questions to two of the anatomy lab professors.
the students were both in their last year and about to leave for their last clinical. their impression of the program matched what it says on Western's website. they said that the professors genuinely are here to help you. one of their professors in particular gave out his cell phone number to students and allowed them to call even late at night! and he doesnt mind it at all apparently. =)
for me, the biggest 'pro' to this school would be the student-teacher relationships. that is the quality that stood out the most to me, but there could be other things that i just don't know about.
however, i think its important to play a little devil's advocate here: what kinds of students would volunteer their time to give a tour for prospective students? it certainly wouldnt be the ones who dont like the program...so that's just something i like to keep in mind, too. i don't mean to say its a bad program, so dont get me wrong on that =) it seems like an awesome program if you want close relationships with your professors/faculty!
the students were both in their last year and about to leave for their last clinical. their impression of the program matched what it says on Western's website. they said that the professors genuinely are here to help you. one of their professors in particular gave out his cell phone number to students and allowed them to call even late at night! and he doesnt mind it at all apparently. =)
for me, the biggest 'pro' to this school would be the student-teacher relationships. that is the quality that stood out the most to me, but there could be other things that i just don't know about.
however, i think its important to play a little devil's advocate here: what kinds of students would volunteer their time to give a tour for prospective students? it certainly wouldnt be the ones who dont like the program...so that's just something i like to keep in mind, too. i don't mean to say its a bad program, so dont get me wrong on that =) it seems like an awesome program if you want close relationships with your professors/faculty!
Thanks ptforme! It is almost unbearable having to wait through this grueling process. Continue to have faith and keep yourself busy and everything will work out the way it is supposed to 🙂 Hey saucecake, are you going to attend?
I've now decided to attend Western! =) But I'm on the waitlist for Northridge and their tuition is wayyy cheaper, so I'd have to reconsider if I were to get an acceptance letter from them. Are you going to attend for sure?