Western U of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utahutesfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview at Western U on January 10. Anyone else going to be there for the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question!
did you guys send your transcripts to Western?
I submitted both my PTCAS and Supplemental applications to Western but
haven't had a chance to send my transcripts to Western yet.
It is due the 15th and doubt that my transcripts will get to them before 15th.
Would they still look at my application?

I am kind of confused why we need to send them transcripts when we already submitted through PTCAS..

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INTERVIEWS!

I sent my transcripts with my supplemental app as well. Ya kinda weird being as how they already have it from PTCAS. Hopefully you can get it in by then though. Good luck!

utahutesfan you'll have to let me know how your interview went, give me a heads up on some questions :p ha. I sent my transcript into them as soon as i knew i wanted to apply there. My advice would be to send your stuff in ASAP they only interview 160 students according to there website.

I applied there too! Wouldn't it be crazy if we all got accepted?

I also have scheduled my interview for Jan 10th, 2011 I'm excited

when did you guys send in all your application materials to them? (PTCAS, GRE, Supplemental, transcripts, etc?)

Thanks!

actually flying from Philadelphia used to live in Los Angeles though can't wait good luck yeah it will be good hopefully for us

I had all my things submitted by mid-oct. I'm flying from philly too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hit submit on august 30 and it was sent to the schools on 9-14. I think I sent out my supplemental app a few days later? I can't remember though.

I got an interview in January also, anyone got any advice?

I have an interview on January 10th also :)

Hi all! I have an interview on Jan 14th. I couldn't get in any sooner because I couldn't get off work. Anyone else going on that day?

Don't worry, I didn't schedule mine until the 14th too, I did that on purpose. If you schedule a little later it allows you more of a chance to make a huge impression haha. I'm flying from Philadelphia, anyone know what the weathers like there?

Jan 10th too! bright and early. see you guys there!

My interview is this sat, the 15th! Please let me know how it went! And good lucky you guys!

My interview is this saturday too, can anyone who just had there's let me know how it went/what their interview process was like? Hope it went well, good luck everyone!

my interview is next week! Can anyone tell me how it went? I hope it went well :) Good luck to everyone!

It was pretty chill for the most part. They said forget everything about physical therapy legislation. They just wanted to know about you personally. I interviewed with two other professors and they are done individually.

What utahutesfan said.

The process starts with giving everyone information about the program, financial aid, etc as a group and then the individual interviews take place after.

Also, be early. I was told to be there by 12:15 but they started talking to us as a group at noon. The email said that was my interview time, but really some people's actual interviews were as late as 3:00.

I was just there this past Friday for my interview. I have to say, I felt like my questions were a little tougher than I had anticipated but really good interview questions nonetheless. They really do just want to get to know who you are and why it would be a good fit for you to go to Western.

Overall, I liked the school and it's mission. Now all I gotta do is get an acceptance letter!

Anyone get accepted to Western U? There have only been priority alternates that I have seen about on here.

I had my interview on Jan 14th and got placed on the high priority alternates list on the 21st. Does anyone know the process to get off the list and get an acceptance??

They require transcripts aside from ptcas because their prereq's are different then ptcas

Mbdpt, did you accept your acceptance? Haha. What were your stats if you don't mind me asking.

I got placed on the high alternate as well. If anyone who has been accepted after being placed on high alternate please post here. I'm sure most of us would like to know.

I had my interview on 2/4 and received my acceptance letter on 2/14!

PTPro1, what were you stats if you don't mind me asking?

PTPro1, what were you stats if you don't mind me asking?

University: CSU Long Beach
Major: Kinesiology: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.91
Pre-Req GPA: 3.93
GRE: 410 V; 510 Q; 3.5 AW

Volunteer:
900 outpatient (orthopedics, neuro, geriatric, wound care), 300 outpatient (orthopedic), 50+ hospital inpatient (acute rehab/acute)

Extra-Curric: Foodbank volunteer, Golden Key International Honour Society, ZBT active member

Applied to:
CSU Long Beach, Loma Linda, Western University, and Chapman

Acceptances:
Western University

Rejections:
None

Waitlist:
Loma Linda

Waiting on my number one choice (Chapman) to come through. I'm still going to put my deposit down for Western as a backup though.

Just got an update from Karen, looks like they've offered spots to a full class :-:)

".Our last interview day was today. As of this afternoon we have 16 in the class and 34 offers of acceptance out. Therefore, the class is considered full as of this afternoon. The committee will continue to monitor the class for any movement. Should a candidate withdraw their acceptance or decline or our offer we will begin reviewing the high priority alternate pool.".

Just to get an idea...did any of you declined their acceptance to Western University?

Hehe yea, I sent in my deposit.

University: UC Berkeley
Major: Public Health, Education minor
Overall GPA: 3.07 (PTCAS calculated, academic update not included)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 570 V 720 A 4.0 W
Extra-Curric: Habitat for Humanity, tutoring, mentoring, facilitated upper division Education course, worked 3 years as a Team Lead at an Occupational Health company
Volunteer: ~200 incl. pediatric, outpatient, inpatient
Applied to: USC, Chapman, Western, UNLV, CSUN, Midwestern (AZ), APU (Spring 2012)
Acceptances: Western
Rejections: None yet
Interviews: Western (1/14), UNLV (declined)

Hey there! I received an acceptance letter in January and sent in my deposit as well. Hope to see you in class. Congrats!

Best regards,
Jennifer

Karen emailed me and it looks like their last interview day is this upcoming Monday. I didn't even know they were interviewing still. I thought interviews were in January when I had mine and February. So far they they have 19 students who have accepted their offer and 31 more they are still waiting for. She said from there they will look at the high priority alternate list if people decide not to attend. However, she said this year the high priority alternate list is a lot larger than previous years. Best of luck to everyone that is on that high priority list.

Soo I am super excited to tell everyone that I have been accepted to WesternU from the high priority list! Hope this helps others out who have been stressing in regards to their status like myself. Can't wait to meet my future classmates!!

Congrats, calidpt32!! I'm also on the high priority list and the waiting game is killing me! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I just got accepted from the high priority list too!! :D

University: UC Davis
Did most prereqs at: City College of San Francisco
Major: Japanese, Communications minor
Overall GPA: 3.39 (PTCAS calculated total; undergrad+postbacc)
Core Pre-Req GPA: 3.77
GRE: 480 V, 690 Q, 4.0 AW
Extra-Curric: none listed (I actually have some but I realized I didn't list any on my PTCAS until it was too late O.O)
Volunteer: 109 pediatric outpatient; 41 general inpatient
Applied to: USC, Western, CSUN, CSULB
Acceptances: Western!! (4/14/11)
Waitlisted: USC, CSUN, [was high priority alternate @Western]
Rejections: None yet
Interviews: Western (2/4/11)

So exciting!! :smuggrin:

Not the greatest on paper, but shows why the interview process is so necessary!

University: Nicholls State University
Major: Allied Health Sciences, Pre-Professional Concentration
Overall GPA: 3.3
Core Pre-Req GPA: 3.1
GRE: 380 V, 450 Q, 4.0 AW (proof you don't always need >1000 on this test!!)
Extra-Curric: Women's Basketball team captain 4 years NCAA D1, Volunteer for underprivileged children and their families
Volunteer: 100 (outpatient) 22 (inpatient); 3000+Tech Hours (outpatient private clinic)
Applied to: Western, St. Augustine (SD), UOP, VCU, ODU
Attending: Western

Thanks ptforme! It is almost unbearable having to wait through this grueling process. Continue to have faith and keep yourself busy and everything will work out the way it is supposed to :) Hey saucecake, are you going to attend?

Congratulations saucecake and calidpt32! I am on the high priority alternate list too and the waiting is killing me. Did you guys have to call or email a follow-up to Western? Just wondering if that will help me.

thanks =) I'm still a bit torn about if I should attend Western or not. Location-wise, I would rather be in Long Beach (if I even get accepted there). But the fact that the CSU's aren't going to have the DPT programs until next year is making it less appealing. I don't know how much that factors into finding a job after graduating, but it'll be bad if I just assume it doesn't matter and regret it later.

And then of course there's the whole cost dynamic that troubles me. Both schools will make me a PT so it's a rough decision. Any advice on these decisions would be great if anyone would like to share =)

@smash2010: I didn't do any follow-up after sending them that letter in the mail saying I accept my position on the high priority alternates list. They said they would review the applications every 2 weeks so I don't think there's much you can do. I did, however, update my observation hours on PTCAS because I was still in the process of completing them. But I'm not sure how much that matters. I was still below the minimum required hours during that update, so it's not that I was suddenly accepted because I completed the hours.

I think at this point it's sort of out of your control. They will probably re-evaluate your application based on what they remember of you and what notes they took down. Since I got the notification last week or so, we can expect the next wave of new acceptances next week (2 weeks gap). They gave me until the 28th to respond so if people withdraw their acceptance then it'll make way for others. I am going to put down my deposit for now ($350).

Just curious to know if anyone had the opportunity to meet any current students in the program. My interview was on a Saturday and my only regret is I didn't get a chance to meet with current students and pick their brains. I would really like to know their opinions, likes and dislikes about the program. If anyone has a clue please fill me in. Thanks!

I didn't get to meet with current students during my interview either. Just the other applicatants and the faculty that were involved in the interview process.

i was able to speak to two of the current students because they showed us around for the campus tour. we were also able to ask some questions to two of the anatomy lab professors.

the students were both in their last year and about to leave for their last clinical. their impression of the program matched what it says on Western's website. they said that the professors genuinely are here to help you. one of their professors in particular gave out his cell phone number to students and allowed them to call even late at night! and he doesnt mind it at all apparently. =)

for me, the biggest 'pro' to this school would be the student-teacher relationships. that is the quality that stood out the most to me, but there could be other things that i just don't know about.

however, i think its important to play a little devil's advocate here: what kinds of students would volunteer their time to give a tour for prospective students? it certainly wouldnt be the ones who dont like the program...so that's just something i like to keep in mind, too. i don't mean to say its a bad program, so dont get me wrong on that =) it seems like an awesome program if you want close relationships with your professors/faculty!

Thanks ptforme! It is almost unbearable having to wait through this grueling process. Continue to have faith and keep yourself busy and everything will work out the way it is supposed to :) Hey saucecake, are you going to attend?

I've now decided to attend Western! =) But I'm on the waitlist for Northridge and their tuition is wayyy cheaper, so I'd have to reconsider if I were to get an acceptance letter from them. Are you going to attend for sure?

Yay for you. Yes I'll be there for sure! Hope to see you at orientation!

I have interview with Western this Monday. I have seen you guys have been to this period of time. Would you please anyone like to give me any suggestion on what to expect, how to prepare for the interview? This would really help. Thnks