Western University help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by derrickd5, Apr 5, 2007.

1. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ok well i just need to know some information actually.

Do any of you guys know what are the conditions Western university will take when revoking a student of their acceptance status?

Also do you guys know if western gives the extra 5 points for having a B.S. degree to only students who already possess the degree or do they also give it to students who are planning to receive their degree soon? <--since i will not be receiving my B.S. degree, i'm afraid that they will revoke my acceptance status, i know you don't need a B.S., even though i have completed all of my pre-requisite courses.

Let me know guys/girls

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Couple questions. Are you saying that when you applied you advised them that you would be getting a BS in XX major, but now you are not for some reason?

I know they add points for BS, but I don't know when. I called this AM to find out if they needed my winter grades. They said only if you've been accepted do they need transcripts. Since they don't do anymore GPA calcs waitlisters don't have to send them. My guess is that means after all the acceptances are sent (and I'm assuming they all have been) that the waitlist appears to not have anymore movement, where you are is where you stay unless someone gets pulled from waitlist.

If they don't adjust anything after acceptances are mailed I would have to assume the points are assigned before the degree is received. Otherwise all the applicants who will be getting their BS/A before matriculation would automatically be at a competitive disadvantage.

I would let them know as soon as possible if you've found out you aren't able to meet the qualifications listed in your application to see if it makes a difference. Better to find out now while, hopefully, you have time to work out some other arrangements to fill the degree requirements. For instance it's not too late to add classes at CSUSB, but it will be by the end of next week.

4. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    ok when i applied on pharmcas, i put in three schools. One of the three schools i put in the wrong information twice. For one of my schools i put in that I am EXPECTING a degree in winter of 07, when i meant 08. Then i decided to put one more entry in with the same school, but with the correct information. So i placed in the information again, but this time i put in that I HAVE NO DEGREE and NOT EXPECTING ONE this year.

I talked to my counselor at WESTERN and she said on my file I have down that you are expecting a degree in 07, but she said it should be fine because they usually revoke applications only if you didn't complete all of your requirements not if you do'nt have a degree since a degree is not required. She said the committee also only give points to students who already hold their degree on hand and NOT to students who will be expecting one.

5. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I then email dr. okamoto at western and asked him the points distribution situtaion and he said:

The points are awarded to students who actually hold a Bachelor's degree, and not those who will be receiving it soon. So yes, the points are awarded when evaluating your application and if you didn't hold the degree at the time that the application was completed, then you would not be eligible for those points.

Good luck with your application and I wish you well.

So in my head I think i'm good since the counselor told me they would not have awarded me the extra points because if you placed in winter 07 then you would not have received the degree at the time the application was reviewed, but i was placed on hold after my interview and I just got accepted on 4-4-07. So i'm hoping that they still did not give me the points.

So i'm a bit paranoid at the moment and not sure what to do. I did place on my pharmcas that i was not expecting a degree, but they wrote down the wrong one, since pharmcas would not let me delete any schools.

6. steveysmith54

steveysmith54 Member
    10+ Year Member

derrick, what were ur stats?

7. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Maybe you should just call the school and explain to them your situation.

I don't think anyone here will know the answer for sure and IMO you're better off finding out NOW rather than LATER what Western's policy is on this matter.

8. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'd say if you called and they told you it's a non-issue, and you emailed and they replied saying it's a non-issue, then it's probably not a problem and you can allow yourself to no longer be paranoid about it. I understand if they change their mind there's not a whole lot you can do about it, but if you save the email and keep notes from the phone call, you'd at least have enough to ask for them to reconsider.

9. PHARMD101

PHARMD101 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I just confirmed with Western Admin that all acceptance emails have been dispatched on 4-4-07 and letters will start to get mailed out on Monday April 9th regarding waitlist or alternate status of Fall 2007 applicants.

I figured the wait has been long enough to endure and I wanted to find out today- waitlist and alternates have till mid-August to lose some more sleep!!:sleep:
    I wish you all the best:thumbup: Smile and be happy - life is too short as it is:laugh:

10. evrynameistaken

Pre-Pharmacy

PHARMD101: do you know if they waitlist people or put them on hold even without an interview? they sent me a letter saying i was on hold but i never had an interview.. they said they might grant me one after but i am confused because i never heard of anyone getting an interview AFTER the 4 scheduled interviews. i don't really have hope but we'll see i guess... good luck to everyone!

11. PHARMD101

PHARMD101 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    A waitlisted or on hold-status is one given after an interview. Looks like you may have a typo in your letter. You may want to call your Admissions Counselor to clarify.

Applicants who are placed on hold after the interview will have their file reviewed at a later date (to be determined by the Admissions Committee).

After the review, hold candidates could receive a letter of accept, alternate or non-accept.

Hope this clears it up for you, and good luck!:luck:

12. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    stats:

G.P.A. - 3.4 overall
    Western transfer - 3.80
    Chemistry Core G.P.A. - 3.84
    No degree
    Pharm experience at two pharmacies

thats about it

13. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ok I just confirmed that points are only given to students who HOLD a degree at the time they are filling out their application or else they would not be eligible for points. So no matter how close you are to a degree, you will still NOT receive points for it.

I also contacted my counselor at western and she said she spoke to the committee chair and all she has to do is change the status on the computer about my "no degree" and it would not affect my acceptance in any way since i've already been accepted and put down my $500.00 deposit.

So I think i'm good. Of course, i won't be totally good until i sit in the classroom for the first day of school. See you guys in the fall

14. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    actually there are ppl who get put on hold even if they don't get an interview. Usually for these ppl they are reconsidered for an interview at a later date, but all the interviews are done at the moment.

15. PHARMD101

PHARMD101 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Derrickd5: You are right! It is possible to be placed on hold before an interview - though, from what I understand, there will be no more interviews held after the last March 24th interview.

As you found out - a hold position is better than a non-accept letter!

Good luck in your Pharm.D venture @ Western! :luck:

16. evrynameistaken

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you all :) i will wait and see.. i hope i get a chance for an interview at least.. esp since re-applying means another LOR (i think from a prof) and since i am finished with all my courses i don;t know what prof i would contact.. maybe they will accept another one from a pharmacist instead. well in any case thank you

17. smallkitty00

smallkitty00 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    We are in the same situation. Good luck.

18. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    All interviews for western university are done and over with. If you still did not receive an interview at this point then I'm truly sorry.

I myself, got turned straight down by TOURO and USC without an interview. Western was the only school which gave me a chance.

19. pharmgrl14

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If anyone has myspace I created an account for the class of 2011!
    Type in "Western University School of Pharmacy c/o 2011" in GROUPS to join!

20. moldovanits

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    western university gives 5 extra points for having a bachelors degree?
    is this something new?if anyone knows please inform me.

21. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    no its not new. It's always been like that. They give you extra points for holding a degree. Its common sense really, would you give favor to a person with a degree or no degree?

22. MeHungryRx

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    how about anticipating a degree?

23. derrickd5

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    nope. Only if you already have the degree in hand at the time your application is being reviewed. No matter how close you are, if you have no degree on hand, you're not eligible for the 5 points.

24. moldovanits

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    awesome information thanks

25. moldovanits

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    also i believe that western calculates your gpa in overall classes.