Western University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xhamburgersamx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shine in for the pre-dents on what is going on at Western?

How are the classes? Are they too big with DO + DMD students? Are there case-based learning

How is the sim-lab, are you going waxing up, carving, doing rotations in radiology, intraoral exam, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone shine in for the pre-dents on what is going on at Western?

How are the classes? Are they too big with DO + DMD students? Are there case-based learning

How is the sim-lab, are you going waxing up, carving, doing rotations in radiology, intraoral exam, etc?

The classes are decent size. We got DO+DMD+DPM. There is PBL but we have done about 3 cases only. They stress on regular lecture and labs. We just finished gross anatomy n head and neck and now we r in molecular med now. As far as clinical go, we did some intra-oral and extra-oral exam. We are doing Class 1 and 5 fillings (both comp and amal). They stress on ergonomic. We are not going to wax teeth till later as far as my understanding go.

Hope that help.

The classes are decent size. We got DO+DMD+DPM. There is PBL but we have done about 3 cases only. They stress on regular lecture and labs. We just finished gross anatomy n head and neck and now we r in molecular med now. As far as clinical go, we did some intra-oral and extra-oral exam. We are doing Class 1 and 5 fillings (both comp and amal). They stress on ergonomic. We are not going to wax teeth till later as far as my understanding go.

Hope that help.

cool, how can they let you guys do comp/amal when you haven't done waxing yet? Waxing is supposed to build up your hand skills beforehand! But anyways, are you guys using your hand pieces to prep the teeth?

Members don't see this ad :)
We are using hand pieces etc...developing our hand skills early on! We are not going to be doing much waxing, rather we are focusing on other more important activities.

wow... When I did the teeth waxups, i thought it was one of the best practices to integrate knowledge of tooth anatomy and occlusion. You guys just skipped everything and went straight to hand-pieces!! that is... interesting

wow... When I did the teeth waxups, i thought it was one of the best practices to integrate knowledge of tooth anatomy and occlusion. You guys just skipped everything and went straight to hand-pieces!! that is... interesting
We did. We started with prep block first, then we start doing fillings. It was tough but it is definitely helpful and make things more fun in the lab.

We did. We started with prep block first, then we start doing fillings. It was tough but it is definitely helpful and make things more fun in the lab.

are you taught occlusion and morph at the same time? What's your lab course called because that is very interesting how it's all inclusive. I don't think any school integrates composite and amalgam into one class

are you taught occlusion and morph at the same time? What's your lab course called because that is very interesting how it's all inclusive. I don't think any school integrates composite and amalgam into one class

Yes and no. They went over a lot of tooth anatomy and a different lectures about each prep but not in too much detail. The main purpose of this semester is to get us used to with handpience and mainly ergonomic. We just took the test on ergonomic. It seems like they really want us to get that straight which I think is good. They gave us feedback on our work but they will not stress on that until next semester.The class is called Essential of Dentistry.

i heard that because the dental take classes with the DO's, the class is too small for all of u, so everyone gets there early just to get a seat. Those that don't get a seat have to go to another room, where the lecture is podcasted on a big projector.

i heard that because the dental take classes with the DO's, the class is too small for all of u, so everyone gets there early just to get a seat. Those that don't get a seat have to go to another room, where the lecture is podcasted on a big projector.
You are absolutely right. We have several projectors in the classroom. One to record the professor on the stage. Another two to project the ppt slides. The lecture is also recorded and posted on bb right after class.

ok let's put this in perspective. You have 8am-12pm of monotoned, accented professors that are talking at 1/2 the speed you'd like to hear the material being presented. We can all fit in one classroom so don't worry about not being able to see the professor move their hands around while explaining what they did this past weekend. As a matter of fact, I'd say about 80% of the students would rather sleep in and webcast it on a faster speed to be honest. long story short...no need to worry there are plenty of seats for slow learning gunners! :laugh:

ok let's put this in perspective. You have 8am-12pm of monotoned, accented professors that are talking at 1/2 the speed you'd like to hear the material being presented. We can all fit in one classroom so don't worry about not being able to see the professor move their hands around while explaining what they did this past weekend. As a matter of fact, I'd say about 80% of the students would rather sleep in and webcast it on a faster speed to be honest. long story short...no need to worry there are plenty of seats for slow learning gunners! :laugh:

your tuition isn't enough for western to hire a professor to lecture to only the dental students?

FItting you guys into a room designed only to fit the med students is pretty outrageous IMO

your tuition isn't enough for western to hire a professor to lecture to only the dental students?

FItting you guys into a room designed only to fit the med students is pretty outrageous IMO

it's not a matter of allocating tuition costs for another professor. The dental program is medically based as are many other dental schools. It's more the case of having enough seats in a room which is only a problem that does not apply to any future applicants (it only affects us) because the new facilities will be ready in January.

it's not a matter of allocating tuition costs for another professor. The dental program is medically based as are many other dental schools. It's more the case of having enough seats in a room which is only a problem that does not apply to any future applicants (it only affects us) because the new facilities will be ready in January.

All i'm saying is that they can have the same professor teach the same class twice a day so that the dental students can have their cirriculum medically based but focused on dentistry and have a place to sit. I hope the new building allows that because a room of 300+ students is not a good learning environment as evidenced by more undergrads...(ditching, sleeping, crowded, etc.)

I go to lecture every day and am even able to get the same seat. It's not a big deal having an accessory lecture hall or worrying about getting a seat. And I wouldn't call myself a slow learner or a gunner, btw.

ROFL!

Are you guys ranked from #1 to #75? Or just the first half of the class?

How many of you from UC Berkeley?

I loved western campus and the atmosphere at my interview! I'd love to go their if it weren't a new school...

they rejected me :mad:
Got interview and acceptance at Columbia, Michigan, Case, UNVL, UOP.