Western University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WesternU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone know when Western students take their Board exams? Do they teach us everything we need to know for Board Part I in the first year? Can I take NDB I at the end of the first year if I want to?
Btw, what is the dress code for Western? Do we have to wear scrubs, jeans, or dress pants?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We take them after second year. We go more in depth with the systems in 2nd year in addition to getting a lot of dental material, and a lot of the info for the boards comes from what we do then (which builds on what we learn first year). It wouldn't be smart to try to take them after 1st year, but if you are that confident then you could ask the faculty about taking it early. No clue what they would say though.

We dress "professionally" to school each day, which ranges from khakis and a polo shirt to dress pants, a button up shirt, and a tie depending on what makes you comfortable. The guys are required to wear ties anytime they work in the clinic (including the simulation clinic). Girls can't wear open toe shoes to clinic for obvious reasons. It's not too bad - I'm actually more comfortable in those clothes now than my jeans.

Thanks JustPeachy. I wish we could take it after the first year because by the end of the second year, we will forget a lot of material we learned in teh first year which I heard are especially important for the part I. Also since the boards are becomming pass/no pass in 2012, it would have been better for the entering class to take the boards after the first year because we would have a board score which would have helped us to get into a speciality program. What do you think?