Western University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jl13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just wondering everyone's opinions about the competitiveness of the PA program at Western University of the Health Sciences. I know their website lists the following table:

Number of Applications Received:1538
Number of Interviews Granted:531
Number of Enrolled Students:98
Average Overall GPA:3.42
Average Prerequisite GPA:3.54
Average Science GPA:3.38

but I was wondering about things like hours worked prior to application, ECs, LOR... Any information would be helpful, especially from those that have been successful in gaining admission.

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

from a clinical preceptor standpoint this is the worst program in california, possibly worst in the country. in 10 yrs of precepting their students I have given a passing score to only 1.
their refusal to require any meaningful health care experience means that the applicant pool is folks who didn't get in to any good schools....seriously, with great programs in ca like stanford, usc, sjvc, rcc, etc why would you even consider western?

For a student (not myself) that is looking to only stay in the LA area for family/personal reasons, there are only a few choices. Loma linda and USC (which are obviously better and thus much harder to get into) and then Western.

Can you elaborate onto why you think Western is such a poor choice? I know schools are program dependent, but the DO students usually have a great reputation in southern california hospitals and I would think that this would carry over into other programs as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Their DO program is fine.
the pa program there basically requires a pulse and a checkbook to gain admission.
their students are almost universally poorly prepared when they show up on rotations. the student from there who I passed should have attended another program but was limited to the LA area and pomona in particular due to serious family issues. students who show up for an em rotation should have some basic clue at how to perform common procedures, work up common er complaints, and interpret basic lab and diagnostic study results. this is not the case with the students western has sent me. maybe I only get the bottom 10% of each class, don't know, but it seems like it.

Perhaps you only get the students that couldn't find a better rotation spot anywhere else? I don't know, but it seems like you feel the need to voice your anti-western opinions quite often as you also repeat this message in the paforum (different website).

Could someone other than emedpa comment on western?

Perhaps you only get the students that couldn't find a better rotation spot anywhere else? I don't know, but it seems like you feel the need to voice your anti-western opinions quite often as you also repeat this message in the paforum (different website).

there is no better em rotation site in our area(seriously- we are the regional trauma, cardiac, and stroke center. we employ more em pa's than all other hospitals in the state combined. we have a 1 yr waiting list for pa students wishing to do an elective with us).
I voice my opinions about western when asked and it's likely that I am the only pa preceptor on here who has had the misfortune of having to deal with their students.
I don't just start threads called "western sucks", I answer questions such as yours. and you're welcome by the way.

anyone else?

Last edited:
If you don't want an honest opinion on PA issues on here, why not post somewhere else! emed has 20+ years of experience, and is very well respected by his peers and students. You got the truth, and you didn't like it. Why not ask Western to give you an Almuni in the area where you want to practice, and speak to him/her personally. That's what I did. emed didn't speak highly of the program I want to attend either, but I may be limited as well due to family restrictions. However, I spoke to some alums and they were able to add some insight as well. emed has guided many a lost Pre-PA's, including me.

Could someone other than emedpa comment on western?