Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boxsterluv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here apply to Western, and do you know much about their acceptance stats? Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there...

I applied to western. I don't know much about there acceptance stats though. I also haven't heard anything from them since early November when they said my application was complete. Good luck! I will let you know if i hear back from them!

Boxsterluv said:
Did anyone here apply to Western, and do you know much about their acceptance stats? Thanks and good luck!

I live near Western so I know a few people in the program. They only do problem based learning (PBL) so there are no lectures. It is a new program and will not be fully accredited until they graduate their first class which is not until 2007, I think. Many of the doctors where I work are very skeptical of the program because they do not have a teaching hospital. The students have rounds at local private practices. The good thing about the school is they admit people with fairly low GPAs and GRE scores but it is private and expensive. They are very into how well you work in a group which you could probably see from their supplemental application. I applied there but it is not my first choice for vet school.

DVM2b said:
I live near Western so I know a few people in the program. They only do problem based learning (PBL) so there are no lectures. It is a new program and will not be fully accredited until they graduate their first class which is not until 2007, I think. Many of the doctors where I work are very skeptical of the program because they do not have a teaching hospital. The students have rounds at local private practices. The good thing about the school is they admit people with fairly low GPAs and GRE scores but it is private and expensive. They are very into how well you work in a group which you could probably see from their supplemental application. I applied there but it is not my first choice for vet school.
I am at Western, currently doing clinical rotations. One thing you should know is that if you go to western even before my class(the first class) graduates, you are considered graduating from an avma accredited school. As for not having a teaching hospital, let me assure you that all of our clinical rotation experiences have been great. We have learned a ton and get LOTS of hands on experience (no intern, and residents at most places we are at compared to a teaching hospital). They don't just admit people with low GPAs. Western has a minimum they use for application materials. With that they find out who they will interview. The interview is closed (meaning your interviewers no nothing about you so there is no bias when they interview you). Also the number off applications they are receivingis much higher now so you cannot take anything for granted. They give no preference to any state so you have an equal playing field even if not from California.
If they choose to interview you, you will receive a phone call from admissions sometime in January/February.

Hope this helps.
Chris