WesternU vs UCSD ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyc84745

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

is this a serious question? I went to westernu, but even I can't choose westernu over UCSD unless you absolutely need to stay closer to LA/OC.

Very serious lol. What is your reasoning behind UCSD, and How was your experience at WesternU ?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I'm not from cali. Thanks! Does SD have a better rep?

No I'm not from cali. Thanks! Does SD have a better rep?

yes, but you're going to be paying so much more $$$$$$$$ for schools in CA.

Any specific reason you want to come to CA ? You must be aware of how saturated it is and how much more expensive tuition will be for out of state students + room and board is hella expensive

Ucsd tuition is a lot cheaper then WesternU. That's what's making me lean more towards them, considering the fact that I will still have to pay for room and board like you said. I lived out there for high school and really loved it, such a vibrant state. I would love to come back.

Very serious lol. What is your reasoning behind UCSD, and How was your experience at WesternU ?

UCSD is just cheaper and bc it's a one of the Top UC's and overall top Univ in the country, it hard to advocate WesternU over it. I've said in other posts that going to WesternU will not be a disadvantage to a student for future jobs/residencies/etc unlike the newer schools in CA. WesternU has good rotation sites, proven faculty, solid alumni network. You are fortunate enough to get into an elite pharmacy school, UCSD, unless you need to live in a certain area, i don't see a reason to turn it down.

Ucsd tuition is a lot cheaper then WesternU. That's what's making me lean more towards them, considering the fact that I will still have to pay for room and board like you said. I lived out there for high school and really loved it, such a vibrant state. I would love to come back.

I would choose another profession, i.e. computer programming, engineering, accounting, or physician assistant that is actually in demand in California and does not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school. By choosing pharmacy, you run the risk of being forced to move out of state to find a job due to saturation.

I would choose another profession, i.e. computer programming, engineering, accounting, or physician assistant that is actually in demand in California and does not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school. By choosing pharmacy, you run the risk of being forced to move out of state to find a job due to saturation.

Thanks you for your comment, but it did not address my question.

Don't know much about Western U, but I know quite a few that went through UCSD and I heard nothing but good things and they certainly knew their stuff.

WesternU has a solid reputation. Seems to prepare students well enough overall. Rotation sites, from what I hear, are hit or miss. UCSD is definitely a bigger name overall. More opportunities for research and cross-discipline collaboration. A colleague of mine also teaches a unique health policy & advocacy course there. And La Jolla is a much nicer area than Pomona...

Thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful!

Both are pretty impressive but obviously UCSD has a better reputation due to its name. Being from SD I know it would be cheaper to live in Pomona (housing and such). The only downside to SD is the small alumni network.

Reactions: 1 users