WHAT A TOUGH DECISION...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cataniac

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Have applied to Med-schools all over the east coast, and have withdrew my applications due to a low MCAT score, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA in biology from a good college. I am currently a clinical coordinator for a Genetics program at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, needless to say I have the best recommendations you can ask for... I made St. Matthew's and AUC, but haven't decided if that is the right choice for me...

I am 22 years old, I am having an incredible experience, I am doing things here at children's that third and fourth year med students haven't done yet. It's been an incredible learning experience for me... I am so dedicated to getting into medical school that I haven't even thought of switching to something else like possibly a PA Program or DO school, which wouldn't be the worst thing but it's not my dream... I will be a damn good Physician someday... But right now I have to make a decision wether I should go to AUC in September, and just go for it, deal with the IMG/ and residency placement stuff when it's time... or should I stay here at Children's Hospital, take the MCAT in August and apply again

I guess you would have to know the tye of person I am to help me... I have worked my a** off for everything that I have ever gotten in this life, I went to college on a full scholarship, I ran for four years and took tough courses and survived, so now when I am trying to complete my lifetime dream I am being shot down left and right, by MCAT standards and GPA bars... which have no bearing on what type of Physician I will be... I would appreciate any advice given, and I am not trying to sound like a martyr and I know we are all here for the same reasons...
Do I go to AUC or Do I stay and lose a Year?
I wish that all of your dreams come true too

Charles P. Catania
[email protected]

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Try Flinders and RCSI before going to the Carib. You HAVE TIME.

NO ONE who desires a US medical education should give up after one year. If your MCAT scores are really subpar for the US, they are probably so for FLinders, the other Oz schools and RCSI (especially given your 3.2 gpa).

If you are serious about your medical education, then I urge you to retake the MCAT. Doing better on it will increase your chances of gaining admission to a US or commonwealth country school.

I know that AUC has graduated several physicians who are now working in the US. But I *know* that none of the students there would be there if they could have trained in the US. It sounds as if you too are not willing to accept this as your lot in life. Every year many students get in after trying to do so for years. You applied without a supremely buffed application - so, now the task at hand is to try and make that application the best you can. Study your little heart out and RETAKE THE DAMN MCAT. Take some more courses if you have to to raise your gpa. It sounds as if you have a wonderful job - hold onto that.

I know it sounds as if you're "too late". But really...you're ONLY 22. You have plenty of time. Its common to be anxious and want everything RIGHT NOW. Believe me, the way to get what you really want is to take some time, reassess the weaknesses in your application, fix what you can and try again.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking more classes, esp. hard science is a really good idea so as to raise your GPA. Remember also that some schools throw algos into your GPA. Flinders is a great example of this: totally ignoring your 1st year, and assigning increasing weight to each year afterward. This can represent a great redemptive break for those who need it. So if your GPA stinks b/c of some 1st year problems, and even some less then the best stuff during 2nd year, but then smokes during years 3 and 4, their algo can give you a higher GPA than other algos that are less or even not discriminating.

RETAKE. TIME.

Thanks for pointing that out about FLinders Stephen. I always forget about that and it can make a significant difference, especially if like me, you took some time to "adjust" to university life!
smile.gif

You wrote:
"....I am so dedicated to getting into medical school that I haven't even thought of switching to something else like possibly a PA Program or DO school, which wouldn't be the worst thing but it's not my dream..."

Sounds like you haven't done your homework on D.O. schools, otherwise you'd know that a D.O. IS a physician and you could certainly realize your dream. Most people feel a D.O. from a U.S. school is a far better option than any foreign M.D. program, and (believe it or not) many people choose D.O. programs over U.S. M.D. programs. I can tell you that I personally seek out D.O.'s for my personal medical care in preference over M.D.'s. Bottom line, though, as others have said, what's your hurry! You've got plenty of time! Buff up your application by taking (and acing) some more science courses, re-take the MCAT, and get some more experience in that kick-ass job (while simultaneously socking away some money) Hell, give yourself a break, at 22 you can easily afford to spend 5 or 6 more years preparing for med school. If you don't star med school until you're 28, you'll still be just a kid of 32 when you graduate. In a perfect world, if all goes according to plan, I'll be 46 when I START! And I'm willing to take even longer to get to that point if necessary.
Relax, you'll get there!
God bless,
Toby

[This message has been edited by TobyOrNotToby (edited March 25, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Cataniac:
I Have applied to Med-schools all over the east coast, and have withdrew my applications due to a low MCAT score, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA in biology from a good college. I am currently a clinical coordinator for a Genetics program at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, needless to say I have the best recommendations you can ask for... I made St. Matthew's and AUC, but haven't decided if that is the right choice for me...

I am 22 years old, I am having an incredible experience, I am doing things here at children's that third and fourth year med students haven't done yet. It's been an incredible learning experience for me... I am so dedicated to getting into medical school that I haven't even thought of switching to something else like possibly a PA Program or DO school, which wouldn't be the worst thing but it's not my dream... I will be a damn good Physician someday... But right now I have to make a decision wether I should go to AUC in September, and just go for it, deal with the IMG/ and residency placement stuff when it's time... or should I stay here at Children's Hospital, take the MCAT in August and apply again

I guess you would have to know the tye of person I am to help me... I have worked my a** off for everything that I have ever gotten in this life, I went to college on a full scholarship, I ran for four years and took tough courses and survived, so now when I am trying to complete my lifetime dream I am being shot down left and right, by MCAT standards and GPA bars... which have no bearing on what type of Physician I will be... I would appreciate any advice given, and I am not trying to sound like a martyr and I know we are all here for the same reasons...
Do I go to AUC or Do I stay and lose a Year?
I wish that all of your dreams come true too

Charles P. Catania
[email protected]

You can also check out Jagiellonian Medical University is a four year program and tuition is 9,500 a year. You can still apply and enter this September.
Best of luck...