Nov 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I go to a Liberal Arts College so I have a wide range of classes that are not really pre-reqs for the dental schools im looking at. I also started as an Econ major and then later picked up a Chemistry minor to get my pre-reqs and other science courses. Does this hurt or help me?

Nov 5, 2009
Status
Dentist
I go to a Liberal Arts College so I have a wide range of classes that are not really pre-reqs for the dental schools im looking at. I also started as an Econ major and then later picked up a Chemistry minor to get my pre-reqs and other science courses. Does this hurt or help me?
I don't think it matters either way. I went to a liberal arts undergrad too and it never came up in any interviews or conversations since then.

slm266

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2008
Status
Dentist
Liberal arts major + Pre-reqs + plenty of upper division science classes could give you a slight advantage (if you do well obviously).

I think most schools would prefer a science major to a nontraditional with bare minimum pre-reqs. Schools want diversity, but they also want students who cant hit the ground running. Just my personal opinion.

snaggletoof

Have Faith
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Liberal arts major + Pre-reqs + plenty of upper division science classes could give you a slight advantage (if you do well obviously).

I think most schools would prefer a science major to a nontraditional with bare minimum pre-reqs. Schools want diversity, but they also want students who cant hit the ground running. Just my personal opinion.
this came up at one of my interviews. i was told that they felt that candidates with a strong science background tended to be more successful. awkward... i went to a small liberal arts school, then completed a post bacc.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist